• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Roger B

Just be careful that if thud is an offer from completesavings.co.uk (which you can get when you look up train times on national rail and get forwarded to a vendor) that you follow to the letter the terms and conditions.
Otherwise you will have signed up to a £15 monthly direct debit until you cancel.
Yep - just received an email confirming that's the case. The costs are not made clear up-front. I would have expected to be able to cancel with a click, but no, you have to downloaded a form I and send to them in Switzerland - or mercifully there is an email address. Feel like a right scam. Very disappointed than National Rail should have anything to do with such a dubious outfit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bakerstreet

Yep - just received an email confirming that's the case. The costs are not made clear up-front. I would have expected to be able to cancel with a click, but no, you have to downloaded a form I and send to them in Switzerland - or mercifully there is an email address. Feel like a right scam. Very disappointed than National Rail should have anything to do with such a dubious outfit.
If it makes you feel any reassurance you will be able to cancel, you won’t be charged so long as you follow the cancellation process.
I was first offered this via nationalrail.co.uk about 10 or so years ago. I too am amazed they stil entertain this partnership.

although it sounds like you won’t have the appetite for this, you SHOULD also receive the said 15£ bonus if you follow the obstructions to claim and then cancel your membership (in that order) within 28 days or whatever it says.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Mainline421

You will receive the 15% by cheque within a month or two, and as long as you cancel you won't be charged. It is designed as a trap, but it's a good deal if you follow the terms and cancel before payment.

Pre-covid, I used to use CompleteSavings. For me it was beneficial. For many people, though, it can work out costing quite a lot, often without the "customer" realising. Just make sure, if you chose to use them, you submit a monthly £15 refund.

I have to agree with what is being said elsewhere. For National Rail and some TOCs to be involved in this, does seem misleading. Makes you wonder what is in it for them.

MidsMike

Two questions regarding the Northern newspaper offer.

1. The weekend ticket. Is that valid on one day or both Saturday and Sunday ?

2. Would Derby station be able to issue this ticket as it has one Northern service ?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Two questions regarding the Northern newspaper offer.

1. The weekend ticket. Is that valid on one day or both Saturday and Sunday ?

2. Would Derby station be able to issue this ticket as it has one Northern service ?
Weekend ticket is one ticket for both days (hence it being more expensive than a 1 day weekday ticket).

Doesn't answer your Derby question I know but I did buy one at Nottingham in the past which whilst has an hourly Northern service it isnt a "Northern Station".

MidsMike

Weekend ticket is one ticket for both days (hence it being more expensive than a 1 day weekday ticket).

Doesn't answer your Derby question I know but I did buy one at Nottingham in the past which whilst has an hourly Northern service it isnt a "Northern Station".
Thanks. That’s quite good. I thought it was more expensive going on Saturday or Sunday cause it was the weekend.

Not sure what station I would be starting from but quite likley it will be a unstaffed one with free parking so how would that work. Do I have to buy it advance and tell them my starting point and would it have to be the same starting point for both days?

skyhigh

Established Member
Not sure what station I would be starting from but quite likley it will be a unstaffed one with free parking so how would that work. Do I have to buy it advance and tell them my starting point and would it have to be the same starting point for both days?
You'd need to purchase it in advance, they can't be sold at TVMs or on train. Starting point isn't really relevant as it's valid on the whole Northern network of services.

HSP 2

Does anyone know what shops sell Manchester Evening News? I'd like to get one for the Northern newspaper offer

Most WH Smiths in the Grater Manchester area, you could also look in to any of the big supermarkets as well, local newsagents.

Don't forget that you will need two vouchers per ticket (but you could get up to four tickets using the same form, all of the tickets would have to start on the same day).

Llandudno

Established Member
You'd need to purchase it in advance, they can't be sold at TVMs or on train. Starting point isn't really relevant as it's valid on the whole Northern network of services.
It seems as though you can only redeem the vouchers up to three days in advance of travel, why is this?

I would have thought Northern would have been quite happy to sell tickets the couple of weeks in advance as they are non refundable?

skyhigh

Established Member
It seems as though you can only redeem the vouchers up to three days in advance of travel, why is this?

I would have thought Northern would have been quite happy to sell tickets the couple of weeks in advance as they are non refundable?
No idea I'm afraid.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Especially if your local station is unstaffed and you try and book the tickets the week before from a manned station as you can't buy on the day.

Unless it's just the person in the ticket office making things up

bspahh

Established Member

bakerstreet

Roger B

gazr

Counter is at 714 as of a minute ago. Looks like a trip to Shoeburyness is in order. Thanks Oscar M.
Edit: Can't be used with railcards :( Saves me a whole 1 pound and change!

Last edited:

nedchester

Established Member
Would anyone know if the TPE Club 55 is a one off, or do they run it a few different times over the year?
In the past they’ve run it a couple of times a year.

Note that if you time things right then you can use two outward half’s in November / Early Dec and the return half’s when the offer is effectively over over the Christmas period…….

peri

I think they've changed things, this time:

One price for all the network
No railcard discounts
Buy at stations for £25 or online for £20
No travel to Manchester Airport
Only special delivery at £7.50, no standard delivery for £1

Can I download their E Ticket and print it off?
I've only just got a phone with a camera, I don't think I'll reach the next level of sophistication!

_toommm_

Established Member
I think they've changed things, this time:

One price for all the network
No railcard discounts
Buy at stations for £25 or online for £20
No travel to Manchester Airport
Only special delivery at £7.50, no standard delivery for £1

Can I download their E Ticket and print it off?
I've only just got a phone with a camera, I don't think I'll reach the next level of sophistication!

If they allow an E-ticket as a fulfilment method for Club55, you can print it off. You’ll receive the ticket as a .pdf attachment in your email folder.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Despite them not being openly advertised anymore, there are some great prices on Greater Anglia about.

Ipswich to Stansted Airport - £5 promo advance single for instance.

Last edited by a moderator: