• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

BluePenguin

On Moderation
So now the LNER 5% offer has appeared on my RBS rewards account but only if I spend £70 or more. Bang goes the idea of using it for my daily commute then.
Surely you can buy a large number of tickets at once? Otherwise can you not buy a season ticket of a duration long enough?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silver Cobra

For anyone who is a Nectar card holder, it may be worth keeping an eye out on offers provided via Nectar Connect. I currently have an offer available where for every pound I spend on LNER's website on tickets, I get 10 Nectar points (up to a maximum of 6,000 points throughout the duration of the offer). I can't say this particular offer will be available to everyone right now, as the Nectar website says offers via Connect are personalised based on your shopping habits. Still, there's always a possibility this offer or another offer with a different TOC could be available to you, so it's worth checking it out.

ABB125

Established Member
In a similar vein, GWR, TPE and Avanti (the operators who currently participate in the Nectar scheme) will sometimes run offers like "1500 points on your next journey" or "get 6x points on all tickets purchased in the next month" or whatever.

General Zod

Will there be a Scotrail Club 50 ' Flat Fare Offer ' in the coming weeks ? There is normally one such offer available during the Feb school half term ( England).

westv

Established Member
For anyone who is a Nectar card holder, it may be worth keeping an eye out on offers provided via Nectar Connect. I currently have an offer available where for every pound I spend on LNER's website on tickets, I get 10 Nectar points (up to a maximum of 6,000 points throughout the duration of the offer). I can't say this particular offer will be available to everyone right now, as the Nectar website says offers via Connect are personalised based on your shopping habits. Still, there's always a possibility this offer or another offer with a different TOC could be available to you, so it's worth checking it out.
10 Nectar points? Is that all?!

bitzer

If you get GWR promo emails they have sent out a Two Together link for use until 31st Jan. It increases the discount to 50%. Exclusive online offer is only available online via the promotional link in the email from GWR. For Standard and First Class GWR Advance Single (one way) fares only. Book from 24 January to 31 January 2022 for travel between 25 January and 25 March 2022. Discount is only valid for customers holding a valid Two Together, HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcard and qualifying accompanying passengers. Railcard child discount remains unchanged. No other discounts are applicable with this offer. Subject to availability. Selected routes only.

infobleep

Veteran Member
New offer from Network Rail to lure commuters back.

I can't see any link to season tickets though so it's open to anyone. Also, there is this obsession with people having 1 home station and 1 commuting station. Some people live away during the week and others commute to multiple offices.

They never seem to cater for such circumstances. It's the same on the National Rail Enquiries app and even Google fall into the same trap with their Google Maps.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
New offer from Network Rail to lure commuters back.

I can't see any link to season tickets though so it's open to anyone. Also, there is this obsession with people having 1 home station and 1 commuting station. Some people live away during the week and others commute to multiple offices.

They never seem to cater for such circumstances. It's the same on the National Rail Enquiries app and even Google fall into the same trap with their Google Maps.

Looks to be similar to the 'perks' offered if you buy tickets via SWR giving access to their 'rewards' site. An empty gesture to try to encourage commuters to return to paying £7K+ for a season ticket for a crap service

mikeg

Established Member
LNER 10% discount. If you have an Amex card you may find a 10% discount offer currently available. Probably not all Amex cards.
UUnfortunately currently not on mine... I did use the 5% offer extensively last year, maybe it remembered the fact.

James H

Ah yes you’re right. The Mastercard logo didn’t jump out at me when I was looking at the app.

_toommm_

Established Member
TheTrainLine is currently offering 33% off Digital Railcards:

Get 33% off your digital Railcard using code 33YESPLEASE at checkout. Limited availability.

Similar to the previous 50% offer a few months ago, there is no expiry date, so if you want to take advantage, and I’m presuming the code works for everyone (as I already have a digital railcard with them), then do it ASAP.

A Challenge

Established Member
Genius promotion from them as some people will assume that it obliges them to buy tickets from there as well.
Am I right in thinking that digital Railcards bought through Trainline have to be displayed in their app rather than the Railcard app? It's the implication given by their website, but not sure if that is correct?

bspahh

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that digital Railcards bought through Trainline have to be displayed in their app rather than the Railcard app? It's the implication given by their website, but not sure if that is correct?
Yes. If you get a digital railcard from Trainline, you have to display the railcard in their app. You don't have to buy tickets with their app, but it does mean that you will have the app installed and have an account with them.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Yes. If you get a digital railcard from Trainline, you have to display the railcard in their app. You don't have to buy tickets with their app, but it does mean that you will have the app installed and have an account with them.
And you have to share your account with your railcard partner if you want to use your Family and Friends independently.

miklcct

On Moderation
Scotrail is now offering 5% Topcashback cashback on online purchases - just found it out when seeing a £2 cashback offer on Topcashback.

It's a shame that I bought nearly £200 worth of train tickets yesterday on GWR for all my travel in March and April in order to grab as many tickets as possible before the fare increase, and I am trying hard to arrange travel in May but the journey attractive to me is just a £15.50 (railcard discounted) via Barnham ticket between Bournemouth and Eastbourne.

bspahh

Established Member
Scotrail is now offering 5% Topcashback cashback on online purchases - just found it out when seeing a £2 cashback offer on Topcashback.

It's a shame that I bought nearly £200 worth of train tickets yesterday on GWR for all my travel in March and April in order to grab as many tickets as possible before the fare increase, and I am trying hard to arrange travel in May but the journey attractive to me is just a £15.50 (railcard discounted) via Barnham ticket between Bournemouth and Eastbourne.
I bought some tickets with Scotrail via Topcashback but it did not track. I raised a ticket about it, and took a screenshot of the terms, which didn't say anything about it having to be tickets for Scotrail trains. I use different browsers for normal browsing and Topcashback, and don't get many transactions that don't track

Silver Cobra

I posted about an offer I got with Nectar Connect a few months back for purchasing tickets with LNER for bonus Nectar points (10 points for every £1 spent, up to a maximum of 6000 points for £600). I got the offer again last month, and I can confirm that it gives the Nectar points for any tickets bought on the LNER website, not just ones for LNER services. I bought tickets for various journeys with Thameslink through the LNER website totalling £71.95 and got 720 Nectar points for it, which appeared on my Nectar account 2 days later.

So I would highly suggest keeping a watch on Nectar Connect for this particular offer appearing again or for offers for other TOCs (I've only seen LNER come up so far myself).

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Received an email indicating that GWR will be leaving Nectar on 30th March. This means there will now be no point whatsoever booking tickets directly with them, except perhaps the sleeper.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm surprised they lasted as long with nectar on all purchases. Shame as I used them to buy most of my flexible tickets to get something back.

No doubt they will launch a new rewards program similar to that SWR Rewards which is a bit rubbish in terms of deals (10% off some high-end restaurants/hotels in London & money off 'experience' days etc)

HBP

Shame. I’ve done quite well out if it over the years. I presume TPE will eventually follow?

If in doubt blame it on Covid.

Attachments

• 86D77F2C-B222-4391-8E39-E7D7049EF763.png
    86D77F2C-B222-4391-8E39-E7D7049EF763.png
    324 KB · Views: 78

mikeg

Established Member
I presume TPE will eventually follow?
If this is the case that's the last I used TPE's app. Back to supporting my local ticket office, which I often do anyway, and if I need to book in advance I'll use LNER.