Special Offers Discussion

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mojo, 27 Feb 2011.

1. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

Some of the VTWC sale tickets are online now. I've just bought Carlisle - Crewe for £5 each way.

2. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

If the current availability/pricing is the full extent of the offer, it's a bit of a damp squib really. All they've done is reduce the price of the lowest tier APs to around 90-125% of the railcard price, and there's no extra availability anyway. Scotland - London would appear to be the only notable exception.

3. rg177

rg177 Established Member

Indeed the current offering is rather limp with most trains lacking any availability at all, even off peak Manchester to Euston trains months in advance. Hopefully come midnight we'll see something better.

4. ys123

ys123 Member

1.5million seats will be on sale tomo... see my post above...

5. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

But a lot (maybe all) of the sale seats are on the site already. When you do a search you'll see "seat sale" next to the sale prices.

VTWC sales often start the day before the advertised start date.

6. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member

Just booked some tickets to Manchester and back for the 1st July, £10 each way :)

7. All Line Rover

All Line Rover Established Member

Yes, availability is limited.

A loss of fuss this morning at Euston about VTWC's "birthday". I wasn't pleased with the number of cameras covering passengers on the concourse.

As usual with VTWC, a competent and reliable operator, but style over substance.

8. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Member

Both yesterday afternoon/evening and this morning if you head to virgintrains.co.uk or virgintrains.com you are redirected to www.buytickets.virgintrains.co.uk, which is the 'advanced search' interface to VTWC's Trainline-powered booking site. This page features is a red banner across the top which refers to the seat sale, and includes the travel dates and when the sale ends (14 March).

I think I read something yesterday about the VTWC website crashing because of high demand, so I guess this is their remedy to that. However it's not ideal for anyone who might want to look at other parts of the VTWC site, for example to look at engineering work changes.

The rest of the site is however still up and there, and can be reached for example using a search engine (or I used www.virgintrains.co.uk/contact which also worked).

9. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

It seems journeys which are VTWC + Connections where Virgin set Advances are available are excluded. It also seems many VTWC only Advances are excluded e.g. Warrington to Edinburgh is not included.

10. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Member

I found some £7 seat sale tickets on 4 May from Warrington to Edinburgh.

Not surprised that VTWC+connections Advances are excluded, given that the other TOC(s) will want to be paid. I imagine they don't feature in other VTWC sales either.

11. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

I searched dates in August (towards the end of when the promotion is valid) and found plenty of Manchester to London £10 Advances but no Advance fares for Warrington to Edinburgh.

I thought Virgin usually add on a pound or two for a VTWC+Connections Advance over the cost of buying the ticket without the connection. With the sale prices it'll be cheaper to buy a separate ticket for the connection.

12. Silver Cobra

Silver Cobra Member

Yeah, +Connections advances don't seem to feature in VTWC sales, but they do in some VTEC ones. The last VTEC 50% off sale allowed VTEC+Connections advances to be purchased at the discounted prices (I purchased Arlesey to Newcastle 1st class advances for March 23rd at £29 each way, for example). Hopefully this could change for VTWC in the future, but I doubt it.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2017
  13. Butts

Butts Established Member

Indeed, I have had plenty of Falkirk to various North of England destinations which are VTEC + Connections in the sales.

14. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Member

I thought I'd seen this offer flagged up in this thread already, but having just had a quick glance back through the recent pages I can't find it so perhaps it hasn't been mentioned.

It's the South West Trains "Winter Promotion":
    ... £14 Off-Peak single tickets if booked online by midnight the day before. It comes to an end on Sunday 9 April, having been running since Saturday 14 January.

Worth noting the £14 price is for a single ticket, which is the same as their last promotion, but the promos which ran before that were for return journeys (at a cost of circa £15). I wonder if this increase might partly be a response to reported overcrowding during previous offer periods? Though perhaps just as likely an effort to extract more cash as the current franchise draws to a close. Given the upgrade works :
    ...happening at Waterloo this August, I highly doubt SWT will run an offer over the summer.

One thing that is frustrating is that these £14 promo fares only show up on some booking sites (e.g. SWTs obviously, EMT, VTWC, ATW, Northern, Scotrail, Grand Central, XC, Chiltern, GWR) but not on others (e.g. Greater Anglia, VTEC, TPX, c2c, Hull Trains, raileasy, trainsplit, the Govia sites - GTR, Southeastern and London Midland). I don't really get why they all can't/don't offer said tickets? It's not like SWT is restricting sales of these promo fares to its own site.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Mar 2017
  15. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member

Beware the £14 single tickets are a lot more restricted in terms of travel time into/out of London during the week [compared to the old £15* return deals]

(*I know it changed in price from £14 to £20 depending which promo it was on)

16. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Member

I was about to to say 'no more restricted than Super Off-Peak tickets' but then I had a look at a Southampton to London day trip - the last early evening departure ex-Waterloo is the 1605, same as the Super Off-Peak Return, but the first post-rush hour permitted train is then the 2005 (compared to the 1905 for the SOPR). So these promo tickets have their own bespoke restrictions (as revealed by BRfares).

17. Butts

Butts Established Member

Don't First Great Western in Wales have offers like Virgin East and West Coast where 1st Class Tickets are available for a "song" during certain periods ?

Missing my adventures to the NE of England from Edinburgh/Falkirk paying well under £20 each way and enjoying Lounge Access, Breakfast Out and an All Day Menu on the way back. :(

Not to mention the free booze !!

18. IanD

IanD Established Member

Or just use the one in this link from Money Saving Expert - valid for F&F railcard too.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/de...ign=nt-bignote-three&utm_content=6#railcards5

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Mar 2017
  19. John @ home

John @ home Established Member Fares Advisor

50% off "lowest Advance fares" between Leeds/Wakefield Westgate and London King’s Cross (and vice versa) only at www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/relief. Book by 12 April 2017. Travel 18 April - 30 June, excluding 27-30 April, 1 May and 25-29 May. A code is valid for one transaction only for up to five passengers travelling together (each way). Children must be accompanied by at least one adult. Full conditions here.

It appears that "lowest Advance fares" are:
    • the lowest 3 (of 10) tiers in Standard (£15.20, £21.60 and £28.40 reduced to £7.60, £10.80 and £14.20), and
    • the lowest 2 (of 10) tiers in First Class (£42.60 and £53.90 reduced to £21.30 and £26.95).

Last edited: 30 Mar 2017
  20. ictl

ictl Member

Save 5% on Greater Anglia advance tickets (Standard and 1st Class) by buying an e-ticket (which will be sent by email and can either be printed out or shown on a smartphone). Applies to e-ticket advances bought between 1st and 30th April for travel between 18th April and 19th May.

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/smart-advance