• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

A S Leib

The only line I've seen £1 fares for so far's the Airedale line - none for the Tyne Valley as far as I can find.

16-17 Railcards are valid but others aren't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skymonster

Established Member
It would appear that they are offering £1 tickets between Sheffield and Hull and between Hull and Scarborough but not as a through journey.
Ah, thanks for the tip-off. Northern being cunning - last time £1 was available all the way through, this time they are doubling the fare :s

CHA 81C

Halifax to Hull or York seem to be missing at present. It's possible they haven't finished loading them all yet.

Only etickets for the couple of journeys I booked. Not really a problem, but I always worry my battery will run down.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Halifax to Hull or York seem to be missing at present. It's possible they haven't finished loading them all yet.

Only etickets for the couple of journeys I booked. Not really a problem, but I always worry my battery will run down.

Or they aren't making them available for those journeys each time.

Hull to Leeds has £1 fares but there are limited in availability. For the 3 October you have a choice of travelling at 10:15, 12:15, 14:15, 18:15, 19:15, 20:15 and 22:31.

Tbh if you have to buy 2 x £1 tickets in each direction and wait around a while at Leeds, it's hardly a bad deal.

sonic2009

Established Member
I've just managed to get Northwich - Blackpool via Manchester for £10 return for 2 adults and 1 child on Sat 1st October.

Twingo37175

Slight tweak on working hours, then 6 tickets Doncaster to Leeds return for £12 total (cheaper than a single day, jobs a good un).
Also tried the Doncaster to Bridlington, may have to spend time in 'ull to bring it down to £2

Cletus

Established Member
Had an email from Scotrail.
Don't know if it is a promotion open to everyone (with a Club 50 card)?

Great news, your next Club 50 Flat Fare offer is almost here.

Starting Monday 5 September, book and travel anywhere in Scotland for just £15 return. We know you’ve been waiting patiently, so to show our appreciation we’re extending our usual travel window from eight to ten weeks – meaning you can travel until Sunday 13 November.

It’s really easy to book your Flat Fare ticket. From Monday 5 September:

• Click the ‘buy £15 Flat Fare’ button
  • Enter your journey details into the booking engine
  • Select the £15 Off-Peak Open Return fare
  • Complete your booking as normal

Sapphire Blue

Just bought some Brighouse to Man Vic and Man Vic to Stoke-on-Trent returns and the itinerary has the section between Vic and Pic as "unknown operator"
Does this mean I have to walk between the two?

Established Member
Just bought some Brighouse to Man Vic and Man Vic to Stoke-on-Trent returns and the itinerary has the section between Vic and Pic as "unknown operator"
Does this mean I have to walk between the two?
Correct. Or use the free bus, purchase a Metrolink ticket or purchase a TPE ticket.

YorkC

On the Leeds to Blackpool North route, £1 fares seem to be only available for Poulton le Fylde and Blackpool North. For the same train on shorter journeys there's none of them.

saunterlong

The last time the "flash sale" was running I was able to purchase a number of £1 special fares.
However, with all the uncertainty at the present time as strikes are called, is anybody else, like me, reluctant to take advantage now, due to the possibility of short notice strikes being announced?

tommy2215

The last time the "flash sale" was running I was able to purchase a number of £1 special fares.
However, with all the uncertainty at the present time as strikes are called, is anybody else, like me, reluctant to take advantage now, due to the possibility of short notice strikes being announced?
Well there's definitely going to be no strikes in the first week of the sale and even if there are strikes by Northern staff on your day of travel you'll probably be able to travel on a different day instead.

Wallsendmag

Established Member

The law requires 14 days notice to be given of a strike.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Online only so a ticket office won't be able to help.
As I found out. Thanks for replying though.

They seem to have appeared a bit later, though the mornings are difficult on Sunday to find a ticket for Man Picc to Preston. Defo worth a try though, absolute bargains to be had here

AY1975

Established Member
It would appear that they are offering £1 tickets between Sheffield and Hull and between Hull and Scarborough but not as a through journey.
I presume this means that these £1 tickets are only available for through journeys on one train, not for journeys involving more than one Northern train such as Sheffield to Keighley, Skipton, Harrogate or Knaresborough via Leeds.

peri

I seem to remember previous sales showed all the destinations available from one point.
Personally, I preferred the newspaper offers.
That feeling when you turn up at Paragon station thinking
"I may go to Lincoln, Nottingham, Chester, Southport, Heysham, Windermere, Carlisle, Newcastle or just roam around".

Kite159

Veteran Member
I seem to remember previous sales showed all the destinations available from one point.
Personally, I preferred the newspaper offers.
That feeling when you turn up at Paragon station thinking
"I may go to Lincoln, Nottingham, Chester, Southport, Heysham, Windermere, Carlisle, Newcastle or just roam around".
The newspaper offers were great, anywhere on Northern for ~ £15 (plus the cost of buying the local advertpapers which carried the vouchers), allows someone to pick & choice where they wanted to go based on weather & how busy places were. Bit like the old London Midland "Great Escape" tickets.

Skymonster

Established Member
I presume this means that these £1 tickets are only available for through journeys on one train, not for journeys involving more than one Northern train such as Sheffield to Keighley, Skipton, Harrogate or Knaresborough via Leeds.
No, as I got Sheffield-Leeds-Blackpool for £1 each way and that involves train changes.

ServerHoster

The offer has now ended.
Unfortunately, I've learned that the hard way as I has tickets in my basket about 90 minutes ago, ready to book, but I was meeting a friend and just confirming travel plans before booking. Just confirmed and went back to book, the tickets disappeared and went back to re-book them, all the trains were full price. Messaged Northern and they said it ended at 16.00

pemma

Veteran Member
The offer has now ended.
Unfortunately, I've learned that the hard way as I has tickets in my basket about 90 minutes ago, ready to book, but I was meeting a friend and just confirming travel plans before booking. Just confirmed and went back to book, the tickets disappeared and went back to re-book them, all the trains were full price. Messaged Northern and they said it ended at 16.00

I don't see anything on the original publicity about an end time. There was a mention of only available 7 days in advance, only for dates between Tuesday, September 6, and Thursday, October 20 and "book early to avoid disappointment. When they’re gone, they’re gone".

There was a fiasco with getting sale tickets to print at the TVMs the last time they did a sale, so that's probably why they decided etickets only this time.

skyhigh

Established Member
There was a fiasco with getting sale tickets to print at the TVMs the last time they did a sale, so that's probably why they decided etickets only this time.
No, it's because they want to encourage the use of etickets. Simple as that.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's what you get with gimmicky short-term offers that you can't even get from the ticket machine.

The industry needs to concentrate on offering consistently competitive fares.

skyhigh

Established Member

Northern to reward 1,000 commuters with ‘free’ train journeys to work​

Hot on the heels of their £1 ‘Flash Sale’ last week, Northern has now announced plans to reward 1,000 of its season ticket customers with the cost of their commute.
The train operator, which serves major cities across the North of England including Hull, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield, is launching the ‘Big Commuter Giveaway’’ promotion to anyone who buys a daily, weekly or annual season ticket during September or October.
It is hoped the move will encourage more people to ditch the car and take the train to work.
Anyone who buys a season ticket during that time will be entered into a draw from which 500 people a month will win back the cost of their ticket up to the value of £100.

extendedpaul

I just booked an advance single from Bath Spa to Newport for mid October and was pleasantly surprised to be offered a £5.00 full/£3.30 railcard fare. The previous week the advance fares on the same trains are £12.00/£7.90

GWR fares for advance tickets to/from Wales to some destinations appear significantly cheaper from Monday 15 October until the beginning of December. Not sure if this is a promotion or re-introduction of lowest tier advances but thought it worth posting.

Other examples include Cardiff to Weston Super Mare for £5.00 (though it's £5.80 to Bristol Temple Meads for a shorter journey on the same train) , to Taunton for £10..90 and to Penzance for £27.20. All railcard discountable.