Special Offers Discussion

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mojo, 27 Feb 2011.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Member

£30 worth of train tickets for £10 worth of Tesco Clubcard vouchers.
    I just picked this up on the Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert website and thought it might be useful.
    For those with a Tesco Clubcard you now have access to the Red Spotted Hanky website where you can book train tickets. It appears to be the same booking site as East Coast.
    The real advantage is, for every £10 worth of Tesco Clubcard Vouchers you use you get £30 worth of train tickets.
    I don't have a Tesco Clubcard but for those who do here's the link: -
    http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=1916

2. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

Cashback websites are also worth looking into when purchasing train tickets.

The percentage cashback isn't particularly high and the wait to receive the cashback can be quite long, but I've been using topcashback.co.uk for ticket purchases when no other online offer is available. Typically 2 months before the cashback shows in my topcashback account.

South West Trains currently offer 2.62% via topcashback on all ticket purchases. Other TOCs and ticket retailers also have cashback offers. The most generous currently is TransPennine offering 4.54% cashback on their AP tickets via topcashback.co.uk.

Every little helps and if you do a lot of online shopping cashback websites are well worth using.

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/cat/rail-ferry-and-coach/

3. LexyBoy

LexyBoy Established Member Fares Advisor

25% off CrossCountry Advance fares booked through their website until 31/5/11 - courtesy of lyesbkz.

Thread.

edit: XC webpage here. Although the page refers to journeys to Newcastle, it apparently works for other journeys too.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2011
  4. sdrennan

sdrennan Member

Redspottedhanky looks a good offer especially when i found £16 of unused vouchers in my Clubcard account :D

Has anyone used it to book yet. I cannot see how to buy a Rover ticket on their website (Looking to do a Highland Rover in late June)

The only phone number they have is £1 per minute :-x

5. LexyBoy

LexyBoy Established Member Fares Advisor

AFAIK it's not possible to buy Rovers except from stations, telesales and certain TOC websites.

With customer service like that, I'd save your Clubcard points for something which won't cause any potential issues.

Also, if you wish to ask any further questions, please start a new thread - this sticky is meant for posting details of offers rather than discussion. Thanks and welcome!

6. First class

First class Established Member

7. island

island Established Member

I wonder does that discriminate on the basis of nationality, since you need a British passport (or possibly driving licence) to buy a railcard requiring a photo online.

8. ji459

ji459 Member

For anyone who was thinking of taking advantage of Southern's offer of 25% off advance fares, the offer ends today (2 May).

9. First class

Attached Files:

10. All Line Rover

All Line Rover Established Member

That's not a great offer, though, as East Coast give 10% off permanently. East Coast are currently giving 20% off First Advance tickets actually! :D

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/special-offers/20-off-First-Advance-go-on-treat-yourself-/

11. Furrball

Furrball Member

Hello all, first post here.

Signed up initially to discuss the possible outcome of what seemed to potentially a situation where a ticket had been sold that we not necessarily valid. However a little searching reveals the following offer (it seems to be £43 Edinburgh - London and £46.00 Aberdeen/Inverness - London (limited availability Northbound?):

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/This_is_my_Edinburgh

12. dzug2

dzug2 Member

Maybe it does - but so what? Discrimination isn't per se illegal

13. island

Well, how about section 29 of the Equality Act, 2010, which requires that a service provider must not discriminate by not providing a person with a service due to the person's age, sex, race (including nationality), gender reassignment status, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, or disability? As far as I can see, they are refusing to provide anyone who does not hold either a British passport or British driving licence with a three-year Railcard, and charging them less for a one-year one than someone who does not hold either of those two things. That appears to be indirect discrimination on the race ground to me.

(mods please feel free to split as this is probably off-topic)

14. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

They are not denying people a service, just varying how much that service costs. If you extend this argument to the fullest extent then it would be illegal to offer child or OAP fares full stop. I hope I'm right in thinking that that would not be desirable.

15. island

There is an exemption for age-discrimination where the discrimination is a proportionate means to achieving a legitimate aim, which would seem to cover child/16-25/Senior fares. This exemption doesn't extend to race.

16. dzug2

dzug2 Member

Having just looked it up - you don't need a British passport - virtually any passport will do. And just about anyone can get a British Driving licence - nationality doesn't come into it.

17. island

Hmm. So they do. I shall have to withdraw then, unless I go about some tortured suggestion of discriminating against Irish people who would be the only foreign people in the UK who don't hold a passport. (The acceptance of a British driving license wouldn't cover it though, as that would indirectly discriminate against foreign people, especially those recently arrived in the country, as they would be less likely to have one.)

18. transportphoto

transportphoto Established Member Quizmaster

19. tony_mac

tony_mac Established Member

20. First class

Unfortunately this year it looks as though the 50% promo code is unique to each person so unless you get a freebie yourself, you won't be able to take advantage of the 50% reduction.

21. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Established Member

On Thursday 26th Southern are offering 90% off advance fares, that's what they are advertising on Facebook anyway.

22. nedchester

nedchester Member

£2 return on Merseyrail today (29th May) and tomorrow.

23. First class

BoJ NOT Permitted. (Supposedly) valid on Merseyrail Northern/Wirral Lines only.

24. els

els Member

East Coast have cheap (walk-on?) fares which are discounted Super Off-Peak tickets.

Type in London to Edinburgh on their website and you'll be offered a £37.50 fare with a railcard.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I should add that only the Super Off Peak singles are discounted and are half the price of a return.

25. John @ home

John @ home Established Member Fares Advisor

Thanks for spotting this, els.

They are actually half the price of a normal Super Off Peak single, but that's very close to half the price of a return. They are available to book from Thursday 2 June until Saturday 16 July for travel until Friday 7 October 2011, and must be booked via East Coast.

They are available until 2359 the day before travel only for journeys to and from London wholly on the East Coast network where East Coast sets the fare. They are not offered to/from stations beyond Edinburgh. They are routed Any Permitted, eg. you can book one for the 1948 Grand Central service Kings X - Doncaster. There appear to be some implementation issues: currently they are offered London - Doncaster or London - Leeds but not London - Wakefield.

The press release is here.

26. MadCommuter

MadCommuter Member

I use cashback websites a lot and find Quidco more reliable and helpful than TCB. Current rail offers include:

South-West Trains 4.5% on ALL tickets
    First Trans-Pennine 4.5% on their own services, 1% others
    East Midlands Trains 2.5% on their own services, 15 others

If you are considering joining Quidco, than I would very much appreciate you signing up via my referral link:

http://www.quidco.com/user/215394/588

27. MKB

MKB Member

South-West Trains offer 2.6%, not 4.5%, but still worth having.

28. wintonian

wintonian Established Member

Southern are now doing 10% off advance and offpeak tickets, inc. 1st advance.

Linkey

T&C's

Discounts will be available from 1st June 2011 until 10th July 2011 additional railcard discounts are allowed.

29. 142094

142094 Established Member

Wish Northern were doing something similar.

30. island

Unlikely to happen as Northern don't sell online or offer TOD!