• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cymro inside

if you are making more than one journey in a month on atw network then the 10 year anniversary offer for season ticket holders is cheaper,if you buy a monthly season from say Wrexham General to Central it entitles you to a ten pound return ticket anywhere on atw network,and you can take another adult for another tenner and kids for a fiver,its on the atw website for details,

Red Dragon

if you are making more than one journey in a month on atw network then the 10 year anniversary offer for season ticket holders is cheaper,if you buy a monthly season from say Wrexham General to Central it entitles you to a ten pound return ticket anywhere on atw network,and you can take another adult for another tenner and kids for a fiver,its on the atw website for details,

Thanks Cymro - I'm exiled in Yorkshire so the ticket doesn't work, but will pick up some laver bread on Swansea Market when I take my trip. Welsh caviar ! :lol:
Diawn Diolch.

Searle

Established Member
More information on the ATW offer:

Season ticket holders - celebrate with a £10 return ticket to any destination visited on an Arriva Trains Wales service

Anniversary Cake IMGTo mark 10 years of service, we are offering our most loyal customers this great money saving fare - travel anywhere (on the Arriva Trains Wales network) on any Arriva Trains Wales service for only £10 return.
Who can travel with a £10 return ticket?

To qualify you must hold an adult monthly or longer season ticket, valid for travel within the period 5 January to 29 March 2014 between any two stations on the Arriva Trains Wales network.

What is a Season Ticket? How do I get one?

If you make the same journey by train more than three or four times a week you may find that, on the majority of routes, Season Tickets offer better value for money compared to buying daily tickets. Season Tickets allow unlimited travel in both directions between the stations specified. To find out more about Season Ticket and how much you can save, visit www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/SeasonTickets
Where can I buy this special £10 ticket?

This special £10 return ticket can be purchased from any Arriva Trains Wales rail station ticket office and on-board our trains.

Don't forget: A qualifying adult season ticket with a photo card, valid on the day of travel, must be presented by the holder on purchase and on ALL journeys using the special £10 offer tickets. You won't be able to purchase this special £10 return ticket if you don't present a qualifying adult season ticket.

Please note: This offer is NOT available from a ticket vending machine or online. There are no railcard discounts available with this offer.
Can I get this offer for my family and friends?

Yes - Qualifying customers can also buy this special ticket for family and friends at £10.00 per adult or £5.00 per child (aged 15 years or under).

All accompanying passengers must travel with season ticket holder on outward and return journey.

Maximum group size, 2 adults and up to 3 children per season ticket holder This includes the season ticket holder as part of that group.
Where can I travel?

You can travel anywhere on the Arriva Trains Wales network.

The special £10 return ticket is only valid on Arriva Trains Wales services only. Travel on the services of other operators will require a new ticket to be purchase.
When can I travel?

You can travel anytime between 5 January and 5 April 2014 (exceptions below). Tickets must be purchased by 29 March 2014.

Outward travel valid on the date on the ticket, return travel within 8 days including the date on the outward ticket. Last day of return travel, 5 April 2014.

Don't forget: You must be able to present your adult season ticket with a photo card to the conductor when travelling with the special £10 return ticket. Customers who are unable or refuse to show their season ticket on request will be required to purchase a new ticket as if no ticket is held.
Are there any dates on which I cannot travel with a £10 return ticket?

Yes. Due to major sporting events, travel is not permitted as follows:

To, from or via Cardiff Central, Cardiff Queen Street, Cathays, Cardiff Bay and Grangetown stations on 1 and 21 February and 15 March 2014, due to the 6 Nations RBS Rugby Internationals.

To, from or via Gloucester/Cheltenham between 11 and 14 March 2014 due to the Cheltenham Festival
Are there any restriction on use during peak times?

No, the ticket is valid on any Arriva Trains Wales train, with the exception of the date specific restrictions detailed above.
Do I need to book in advance?

No. You can buy on the day of travel.
Can I break my journey?

No, this ticket only permits a change for connectional purposes

What if I change my travel plans?

Regrettably, due to these £10 tickets being an exceptional special promotional offer we are unable to provide refunds or exchanges

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/10YearTicket/

The cheapest monthly season ticket as mentioned above is Wrexham Central to Wrexham General, costing £16.60, meaning the total cost (with promotion) is £26.60.

All Line Rover

Established Member
The ATW network has many opportunities to break and resume journeys at different stations, so it is unfortunate that this isn't permitted under the terms of the offer.

I am, however, delighted to see that ATW have introduced Advance purchase tickets between Shrewsbury/Whitchurch(Shrops)/Nantwich and Cardiff, where previously the only ticket option available was an expensive Off-Peak Return (expensive compared to the Advance tickets available to/from Wrexham and Crewe).

dvboy

Established Member
starts in a couple of days anyone with a monthly or longer season ticket between any two atw stations can buy a ticket to any atw destination for ten pounds , as many journeys as you like within the validity of the season,no time restriction and valid for eight days to return , offer on for three months.monthly Wrexham Gen to Central anyone?

Wonder if my nNetwork season ticket counts since ATW serves four stations in the area.

extendedpaul

Arriva Trains Wales have made the season ticket holders offer much more attractive than Club 55, which in my opinion is now too expensive and restrictive especially for day trips. £23 minimum on a weekday and I can't leave before 9am - not for me.

On the other hand for the price one cheap season ticket and £10 each two can travel a huge distance any day and any time. Shame about the no break of journey rule when - especially between Chester and Holyhead- there are so many places worth visiting for an hour or two.

Buying a Wrexham monthly season will save money on many one-off return trips . I wonder how many non Forum readers will work that out ?

extendedpaul

Break of journey is however available on Club 55

I think that's the issue. Club 55 is too expensive for most weekday leisure day trips when you can't leave before 9am - and the breaks of journeys allowed don't really make up for that. The current £10 offer is a much better deal even with a no breaks rule - just a shame ATW felt the need for such a restriction.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Buying a Wrexham monthly season will save money on many one-off return trips . I wonder how many non Forum readers will work that out ?

Not just one-off return trips, but long distance commutes too.

A £16.20 Wrexham General to Wrexham Central season + 20 x £10 return tickets costs £216.20.

Compare that to the following monthly season tickets:
Llandudno to Manchester £432.80
Chester to Birmingham: £466.20
Shrewsbury to Manchester: £451.20
Shrewsbury to Cardiff: £584.90
Even Nantwich to Manchester is £221.60

There is the potential for some season ticket holders to make some nice little savings. I can't say that's an unreasonable reward after having potentially paid thousands of pounds every year for a decade.

Last edited:

ji459

The cheapest monthly season ticket as mentioned above is Wrexham Central to Wrexham General, costing £16.60, meaning the total cost (with promotion) is £26.60.

Even cheaper is a monthly season ticket between Llanbedr and Pensarn - £16.20

South West Trains will be doing a flat fare of £10 adult and £5 children on their network between any two points for example Weymouth to waterloo on weekends between the 18th of Jan and 23 feb. These tickets will be valid on SWT only and will not include travel from the Isle of Wight or be valid west of Honiton or between Sailsbury and Bristol. Salisbury to Portsmoth is also excluded due to fares being set by FGW. Anyone travelling to London and require travelcards will need to purchase the travelcard as another transaction.

Last edited:

breadfan

South West Trains will be doing a flat fare of £10 adult and £5 children on their network between any two points for example Weymouth to waterloo on weekends between the 18th of Jan and 23 feb. These tickets will be valid on SWT only and will not include travel from the Isle of Wight or be valid west of Honiton. Salisbury to Portsmoth is also excluded due to fares being set by FGW. Anyone travelling to London and require travelcards will need to purchase the travelcard as another transaction.

Is there a link to this info? I can't see anything on their Special Offers page on their website.

Is there a link to this info? I can't see anything on their Special Offers page on their website.
I don't know if it is out yet this is just heads up keep an eye out for it it should be out around the 13th jan.

Last edited:

MKD

Latest deal for those of us aged 55+...

Just chanced across Arriva Trains Wales doing a Club 55 offer until end of March'ish from £22-£28 depending
http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/55/
with usual 'add-ons' extending the coverage well beyond ATW's own services.

and ScotRail for Scotland (+Carlisle/BerwickUT) rail services except East Coast and Caledonian Sleeper from 13/1 to 31/3 at £19 (£35 First Class)
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/club-55

T&Cs seem similar to previous offerings.

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
Just had this come through my work email:

The SWT Winter Sale will be every weekend between Saturday 18th Jan and Sun 23rd February. £10 for a day return. The price excludes cross-Solent travel although Red Funnel are offering discounted fares in conjunction with the offer.

www.southwesttrains.co.uk/wintersmiles This link will be active from Monday 13th Jan.

The SWT Winter Sale will be every weekend between Saturday 18th Jan and Sun 23rd February. £10 for a day return. The price excludes cross-Solent travel although Red Funnel are offering discounted fares in conjunction with the offer.

www.southwesttrains.co.uk/wintersmiles This link will be active from Monday 13th Jan.
That's the one one I put on here earlier today but with no link so cheers for that

Searle

Established Member
Incorrect link?

www.southwesttrains.co.uk/wintersmiles This link will be active from Monday 13th Jan

There you go ;)

Edit: oops just saw the two posts above me :lol:

Last edited:

breadfan

Twice as good! Just so happens I'm down that London on the weekend of 25th Jan. I may look at Weymouth.

Do SWT do a weekend upgrade to 1st class?

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Latest deal for those of us aged 55+...

Just chanced across Arriva Trains Wales doing a Club 55 offer until end of March'ish from £22-£28 depending
http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/55/
with usual 'add-ons' extending the coverage well beyond ATW's own services.

and ScotRail for Scotland (+Carlisle/BerwickUT) rail services except East Coast and Caledonian Sleeper from 13/1 to 31/3 at £19 (£35 First Class)
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/club-55

T&Cs seem similar to previous offerings.

Club 55 is back (again) This is how North Wales Rail website sees it this week
The Arriva 'CLUB 55' (Off Peak travel offer for everyone aged 55 and over) is being made available again from 5 January to 29 March 2014. This version is attractive for travel within and out of North Wales to the whole Arriva network and with add-ons to other destinations.

For full details and conditions see : www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/55 (A rather muddled website in our opinion).

The conditions state 'Travel using a Club 55 ticket is not permitted before 09:00 Monday to Friday except between the following locations: Shrewsbury – to or from Aberystwyth/Pwllheli; Shrewsbury – to or from Llanelli/Swansea via Llandrindod; Chester - Holyhead/Llandudno/Blaenau Ffestiniog; Neath - Milford Haven/Pembroke Dock/Fishguard Harbour; Wrexham Central - Bidston.' As we understand it, unlike in Autumn 2014 this means that North Wales Coast residents can make an early start to their trip. From the Manchester line and the Chester - Shrewsbury line one must wait until 09:30, although from Wrexham travel via Shotton before 09:30 is allowed.

The fare remains at £23 return (valid for eight days, nor a month as has been the case sometimes in the past) from and to any station served by Arriva Trains Wales station, or £28 if you want to travel on a Friday. A £1 discount applies to Senior and Disabled Railcard holders, and their are add-ons for extensions to other lines, including to London Marylebone via Chiltern Railways with their loco-hauled services for an extra £20.50.

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nwnews.htm

Cletus

Established Member

This link and offer is now active.

Cletus

Established Member
Another Southeastern sale (don't know what's come over them :lol:)

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.u...tm_medium=landing&utm_campaign=winter-2014-10

Buy now for travel between 13 January and 13 February
10% discount from Southeastern and Ashford Designer Outlet

Make the most of the January sales with 10% OFF many Southeastern off-peak tickets online. Our sale includes high speed tickets so you can get to the shops even faster. Railcards can also be used with the discount, offering even greater value.

See link for terms & conditions.