• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Northern didn't do a Christmas one, so perhaps they have decided to stop doing them? :(

Would be a shame if that were the case. The xmas one was a bit different with a much shorter window of opportunity, so hopefully it is just that one that's got the chop. (I notice the MetroCard offer missed out the whole of December this year, so perhaps they were finding the xmas trains too busy ?).

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The Christmas period was incredibly busy for Northern. I too have wondered about the fate of this offer - I wonder if its been influenced by the possible coming end date for the franchise? I hope they have a 'celebratory' £10 offer when the deal concludes!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Christmas period was incredibly busy for Northern. I too have wondered about the fate of this offer - I wonder if its been influenced by the possible coming end date for the franchise? I hope they have a 'celebratory' £10 offer when the deal concludes!

Fingers crossed !

Butts

Veteran Member
Virgin are advertising 20% off advance fares from Edinburgh or Glasgow in today's Daily Record or tomorrow's Sunday Mail.

Have just signed up for this one as it includes Advanced First Tickets - the code to utilise the discount will be sent to my e-mail within 7 days. First 5000 qualify so I should be ok !!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

I reckon they can now get away with a £15 one instead of £10, which is insanely cheap.

Butts

Veteran Member
Have we any details of how to get this?

There was a code in the paper which you had to use when registering with Virgin Trains for the promotion.

The first 5000 were to be sent a 20% off code !!!

Sorry I can't remember what the code / password was - try money saving expert or the like.

pemma

Veteran Member
I reckon they can now get away with a £15 one instead of £10, which is insanely cheap.

Depends where it's targeted at. If it was put in papers such as the Northwich Guardian, Knutsford Guardian or Altrincham Messenger then there aren't many options for a £10 journey where you would remain with Northern for the entire journey given Northern only operate one line out of Chester and most of the fast services out of Piccadilly and Stockport are not Northern services.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Depends where it's targeted at. If it was put in papers such as the Northwich Guardian, Knutsford Guardian or Altrincham Messenger then there aren't many options for a £10 journey where you would remain with Northern for the entire journey given Northern only operate one line out of Chester and most of the fast services out of Piccadilly and Stockport are not Northern services.

Do you mean where you would choose to do so if you were just planning a journey free of restrictions? Because you get to Manchester and there are, you know, LOADS of places you can go...

Very useful if you wanna go from Delamere to Buxton I suppose :D Or Grindleford or Sandbach!

pemma

Veteran Member
Do you mean where you would choose to do so if you were just planning a journey free of restrictions? Because you get to Manchester and there are, you know, LOADS of places you can go...

Very useful if you wanna go from Delamere to Buxton I suppose :D Or Grindleford or Sandbach!

I'm meaning to popular stations for all rail users. I've never heard anyone asking for a ticket to Buxton at a Mid-Cheshire line station or on board a Mid-Cheshire line train but plenty of people asking for places like Leeds, Sheffield, Blackpool, York, Huddersfield, Newcastle, Birmingham, London etc. In fact the TVM at Northwich once showed Sheffield under most popular destinations from this station but omitted Manchester!

Most people going to Delamere originate from either a Mid-Cheshire line station or a Wirral line station. That is actually why the first train Chester-Manchester on Sunday omits 2 quiet stations, so it can provide a connection from an arrival from Liverpool at Chester without needing the pathing through Manchester changed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cletus

Established Member
The Southeastern section of the Current Onlines Offers needs updating. That offer has finished and there's another one currently going. See post 1456.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I'm meaning to popular stations for all rail users. I've never heard anyone asking for a ticket to Buxton at a Mid-Cheshire line station or on board a Mid-Cheshire line train but plenty of people asking for places like Leeds, Sheffield, Blackpool, York, Huddersfield, Newcastle, Birmingham, London etc. In fact the TVM at Northwich once showed Sheffield under most popular destinations from this station but omitted Manchester!

But you can use the rover to go to Leeds, Sheffield, Blackpool, York or Huddersfield. Newcastle is a bit of a stretch but it could save you money. I just gave Buxton (or stations to) as an example of somewhere where you won't get a 'second rate' version of the service.

pemma

Veteran Member
But you can use the rover to go to Leeds, Sheffield, Blackpool, York or Huddersfield. Newcastle is a bit of a stretch but it could save you money. I just gave Buxton (or stations to) as an example of somewhere where you won't get a 'second rate' version of the service.

That's the thing though if you have a ticket restricting you to the 'second rate' service you expect a very low price to compensate. That's why LM will sell you a LM only first open single for Crewe-London for £81.60 but for the Any Permitted it's £189.50.

I was originally replying to a message where bb21 suggested the previous ticket price of £10 could be raised to £15 because £10 is 'insanely cheap.' Your example of Delamere to Buxton can be done for £16.60 for an adult* without a railcard and travelling alone so not able to take advantage of Duo deals so buying newspapers and collecting tokens seems a lot of hassle for a £1.60 saving.

* Delamere to Northwich CDR + TfGM Wayfarer.

CallySleeper

Established Member
For those of you who haven't seen the 2TR publicity - using promo code 'LEAFLET3' at twotogether-railcard.co.UK/leaflet will get you £3 off.

OwlMan

Established Member
Celebrate pancake day with our flipping good online sale! get 10% discount on all our 'London Midland only' Advance single and Off-Peak Return fares. Bookings can be made between from 0900hrs on 4 March 2014 until 2359hrs on 16 March 2014 for journeys starting before 31 March (Off-Peak Return tickets are valid for up to 1 month after outward travel).

see http://www.londonmidland.com/days-out-and-offers/attractions-and-offers/pancake sale/

Starmill

Veteran Member
Celebrate pancake day with our flipping good online sale! get 10% discount on all our 'London Midland only' Advance single and Off-Peak Return fares. Bookings can be made between from 0900hrs on 4 March 2014 until 2359hrs on 16 March 2014 for journeys starting before 31 March (Off-Peak Return tickets are valid for up to 1 month after outward travel).

see http://www.londonmidland.com/days-out-and-offers/attractions-and-offers/pancake sale/

I've always thought LM sales, while good, do not allow the discount far enough in Advance! Is there much point doing it if it's just for 27 days of travel? Having said that... it does seem to work for journeys in April <D

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Amazon are doing a deal with Red Spotted Hanky - £8 for a £16 voucher to spend on rail tickets

http://local.amazon.co.uk/London-wide/B00IR988K0?src=email&cid=em_dd_ldn_101_uk_s1_&ref_=pe_453791_44915361_fd

Limit one voucher per customer and per redspottedhanky.com account before anyone tries to go crazy on this.
In the usual RSH fashion, you get a code from Amazon that you have to put in your RSH Personal Details page and then wait 72 hours for a voucher to appear

Last edited:

bennorthyork

Are there any discount codes at the moment for purchasing Friends and Family railcards? I thought there was one if you have YHA membership but I can't find it anywhere. Any advice appreciated.

John @ home

Established Member
Are there any discount codes at the moment for purchasing Friends and Family railcards?
The £10 off offer expired on 24 February 2014.

http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/leaflet/ offers £3 off the one-year F&F Railcard until 17 May 2014.

If you use this £3 offer, it will be worth checking in February 2015 whether the £10 offer is repeated. If so, you can renew a Railcard when it's within one month of expiry and receive full credit on the new card for the remaining period of validity.