• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Adults travel free with a childs on selected virgin trains routes (12-27th April)

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/easter-offer/

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/easter-offer said:
2. Each child ticket enables one adult to travel free of charge

6. Offer available on the following routes only:

Wolverhampton-London Euston
Birmingham New Street-London Euston
Birmingham International-London Euston
Coventry-London Euston
Rugby-London Euston
London Euston-Wolverhampton
London Euston-Birmingham New Street
London Euston-Birmingham International
London Euston-Coventry
London Euston-Rugby

10. During promotional period only (12-27 April 2014), Child Off-Peak tickets are valid all day

That's potentially very cheap!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

talldave

Established Member
Southern have emailed me with a "unique" 4 digit code for a 15% Off-Peak discount available until 25th April (but you can purchase tickets 12 weeks ahead).

I'm not sure if all their registered users get this offer or just some? And whether the "unique" code is really unique?

Lrd

Established Member
Southern have emailed me with a "unique" 4 digit code for a 15% Off-Peak discount available until 25th April (but you can purchase tickets 12 weeks ahead).

I'm not sure if all their registered users get this offer or just some? And whether the "unique" code is really unique?
Mine is 4596, fairly sure it's linked to your email.

ModernRailways

Established Member

I get one of them every month because I bought one ticket with them and haven't since. Since I hardly use Southern, it's pointless as it can't be used on Travelcards, and if I travel Southern, a Daysave is usually the best option.

pemma

Veteran Member
Nectar points available to collect from First TOC websites @ 2 points/£. For seasons it's a flat 50 points/weekly, 200 points/monthly and 2,500 points/annual.
http://www.firstgroup.com/uktrain/nectar/
MSE claims double points event will kick off from 14th April for a fortnight.

If you have existing accounts for First Group ticket selling sites (TPE, FGW, FCC, Hull Trains and Scotrail) when you login it asks if you want to link your Nectar card to your account. They'll give you 200 points for linking your card.

Muzer

Established Member
So is there some ongoing page detailing the special offers and reward schemes offered by various ticket sellers to allow one to choose the best one for each purchase? That would be quite nice.

I've heard more and more against RSH recently, so I might switch to East Coast assuming there's not a better rewards deal.

Kite159

Veteran Member
So is there some ongoing page detailing the special offers and reward schemes offered by various ticket sellers to allow one to choose the best one for each purchase? That would be quite nice.

I've heard more and more against RSH recently, so I might switch to East Coast assuming there's not a better rewards deal.

Something like this thread?
http://railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=85448

Muzer

Established Member
Ah, yes, don't know how I missed that - I've seen it before, completely forgot about it. It would be nice if it went into a bit more detail about the worth of the loyalty schemes in real terms (ie how much money towards tickets/whatever you can get back for each scheme), but it's pretty good aside from that.

talldave

Established Member
I get one of them every month because I bought one ticket with them and haven't since. Since I hardly use Southern, it's pointless as it can't be used on Travelcards, and if I travel Southern, a Daysave is usually the best option.

I used the code to get a discount on an off-peak ticket including travelcard.

TEW

Established Member
It always seems to be possible to buy an outboundary Southern Only travelcard from Epsom with the offer. ;)

bengolding

Received an email from East Midlands Trains today offering £10 off a journey if booked by Fri. Seems this time a unique code must be entered. Anybody received a similar email? May be worth checking your mailbox folders.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ah, yes, don't know how I missed that - I've seen it before, completely forgot about it. It would be nice if it went into a bit more detail about the worth of the loyalty schemes in real terms (ie how much money towards tickets/whatever you can get back for each scheme), but it's pretty good aside from that.
The value of a loyalty point is fairly subjective and surely is up to the individual to determine. For instance in my opinion you'd be crazy to convert an East Coast Trains reward point into an eVoucher, given the rate at which you can convert points into what are effectively East Coast Trains Advance tickets. The problem with this is that the price you'd pay for the Advance if you weren't on a Rewards ticket would be variable depending on the time / journey.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Received an email from East Midlands Trains today offering £10 off a journey if booked by Fri. Seems this time a unique code must be entered. Anybody received a similar email? May be worth checking your mailbox folders.

Yep - I seem to get them fairly regularly - usually enough for every time I travel with EMT.

Can't think of a need for a journey with them this time though :p

The value of a loyalty point is fairly subjective and surely is up to the individual to determine. For instance in my opinion you'd be crazy to convert an East Coast Trains reward point into an eVoucher, given the rate at which you can convert points into what are effectively East Coast Trains Advance tickets. The problem with this is that the price you'd pay for the Advance if you weren't on a Rewards ticket would be variable depending on the time / journey.

And of course if you live in Wales you might have less use for free EC advance tickets than someone who lives in York with relatives in Edinburgh...

Last edited:

Muzer

Established Member
Quite. I don't have need to travel on East Coast all too much, but I don't really want to stick with RSH. It'd be nice to still have some form of loyalty scheme, though, with whichever site I go for next.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

Has it got to be a journey to or from London?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It usually is, and I doubt it would be different this time.

boyaloud

If anyone has a code they don't need I'll gladly take it! Live near Manchester but love a trip on MML for a change especially on advance first with all wine I can drink in St Pancras lounge!

All Line Rover

Established Member
As usual, no Railcard discounts. Unless the discounts happen to be very large (I doubt it) I'll be complaining to the ASA. Informing customers about a 'seat sale' is one thing. Telling customers (who they know have a Railcard) that a sale which is more expensive than they would otherwise pay is 'seriously seductive' is quite another.

Given the wording of the email I'm surprised it didn't get caught by the Gmail spam filter!

38Cto15E

I received an e-mail from VT about this offer, I lost interest when I read that there was no railcard discount, come on VT show some class.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As usual, no Railcard discounts. Unless the discounts happen to be very large (I doubt it) I'll be complaining to the ASA. Informing customers about a 'seat sale' is one thing. Telling customers (who they know have a Railcard) that a sale which is more expensive than they would otherwise pay is 'seriously seductive' is quite another.

Given the wording of the email I'm surprised it didn't get caught by the Gmail spam filter!

Do you know how much the discount will be with the seat sale? I can't find that (rather vital) information anywhere. Hoping not too much so I don't feel too bad about the various STD virgin tickets I've already bought during that period :)

All Line Rover

Established Member
Do you know how much the discount will be with the seat sale? I can't find that (rather vital) information anywhere. Hoping not too much so I don't feel too bad about the various STD virgin tickets I've already bought during that period :)

No, sorry. It's typically around 20%.