• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
Sadly Southern are stopping the Downlander Ticket, a pity as I found them great value to explore the south coast.

From the Southern Railway website:

"Downlander tickets are being discontinued

From Monday 8 September 2014 Downlander tickets will no longer be available for travel on Southern Railway.

Downlander tickets will remain available for purchase up until Friday 5 September, with the final available travel date of 7 September 2014.

Customers who wish to purchase tickets for unlimited Off-Peak travel on Southern Railway only, will be able to do so from our main website at www.southernrailway.com/DaySave

DaySave tickets are not valid for travel on any bus services or the services of any other rail company."

I do hope this isn't the start of Southern getting rid of these really good deal tickets. It would be a real shame if the DaySave was to see the axe in the future.

Hopefully, when they go to the new franchise they will introduce another type of ticket similar which will also be valid on Thameslink, and possibly even Great Northern.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I do hope this isn't the start of Southern getting rid of these really good deal tickets. It would be a real shame if the DaySave was to see the axe in the future.

Hopefully, when they go to the new franchise they will introduce another type of ticket similar which will also be valid on Thameslink, and possibly even Great Northern.

The economics of these tickets only really stacked up for Southern because of the duoply on the London to Brighton route which meant that Southern could take more than half of the £28.50 Brighton to London off-peak day return from a £15 ticket. Now that Southern will take the whole of this £28.50 for anyone travelling, it seems difficult that they can continue to offer an all-routes ticket for £15.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was having a play with the TVM at Grateley earlier and found something called "Radio Day" listed, no fares available to it, which got me wondering what it is (I'm guessing some sort of past promotion with a radio station)?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I received an email from Virgin Trains giving a unique code for £10 off an advance booking on their services when £50 or more is spent in one go. Nothing seems to say it is non-transferable and I will not be needing it so if anybody wants the code, first to PM me gets it :D

Update: taken

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
I received an email from Virgin Trains giving a unique code for £10 off an advance booking on their services when £50 or more is spent in one go. Nothing seems to say it is non-transferable and I will not be needing it so if anybody wants the code, first to PM me gets it :D
I got a unique code for £5 off Advance fares if you spend over £25. Has to be used for travel between 3rd September - 18th November and booked before 10th September.

If anyone wants the code then PM me.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I got a unique code for £5 off Advance fares if you spend over £25. Has to be used for travel between 3rd September - 18th November and booked before 10th September.

If anyone wants the code then PM me.
I wonder if you could use them both at the same time ;)

coxy

London Midland's Great Escape is back from 1-21 September. It now costs £20 on Fri-Sun, but still £15 on Mon-Thur.

http://www.londonmidland.com/great-escape/great-escape-2014/

I notice that you have to specify the station you are travelling from, which seems odd considering the ticket allows travel across the network.

Wonder if they will use this to invalidate a ticket if you decide to start from an alternative station - have checked the T&Cs but not clear ?

All Line Rover

Established Member
Railcard discounts are now only 20% and, once again, travel is restricted along the Trent Valley until 09:30. Compared with their Advance fares this promotion is not such a good deal.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I notice that you have to specify the station you are travelling from, which seems odd considering the ticket allows travel across the network.

Wonder if they will use this to invalidate a ticket if you decide to start from an alternative station - have checked the T&Cs but not clear ?

It looks like they're just collecting this information for statistical purposes.

Railcard discounts are now only 20% and, once again, travel is restricted along the Trent Valley until 09:30. Compared with their Advance fares this promotion is not such a good deal.

That depends what you're doing and where. If you plan to make more than two trips (or break your journey along a line of route) it's probably cheaper.

Whilst Railcard holders do not get as good a deal, on Monday-Thursday, Child fares are only a third of the Adult price.

The offer's not as attractive to me as when I did it 2 years ago but I can see there's people who it is good for.

Last edited:

Qwerty133

Established Member
Whilst Railcard holders do not get as good a deal, on Monday-Thursday, Child fares are only a third of the Adult price.

The offer's not as attractive to me as when I did it 2 years ago but I can see there's people who it is good for.

Who? The unemployed?
It's happened with no notice for 3 term time weeks, so is no use for family's with school aged kids. With the railcard discount reduced, it's not as attractive to OAPs who'll have a Senior railcard.
1/3rd of the price is dear considering it could only be used after 3:30PM, unless you're advocating time off school, as under 5s go free.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Who? The unemployed?
It's happened with no notice for 3 term time weeks, so is no use for family's with school aged kids. With the railcard discount reduced, it's not as attractive to OAPs who'll have a Senior railcard.
1/3rd of the price is dear considering it could only be used after 3:30PM, unless you're advocating time off school, as under 5s go free.

I'm not saying it's as attractive - I've said myself it's less attractive to me - I was arguing it would be better for some people than advances. If there were people planning on using advnaces after 1530 and making more than two journeys or breaking their journeys then it would be better for them.

I would note that when I was at school I used to get a week off in September - I hadn't noticed that most children will be at school for the entire time of validity.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member

Update: taken

I've just had one of these £10 off when you spend £50 codes from Virgin. Strikes me as a bit tight especially the £50 spend element , last time I had one it was only £25. :cry:

Cletus

Established Member
East Coast ticket sale

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/lovetrains

Love train travel? Be the first in our seat sale...
Don't you just love being at the front of the queue?

As a Rewards member, we thought you should be first to find out about the East Coast end of summer sale – your chance to grab a bargain ticket for travel on our route between London and Edinburgh, on East Coast trains, from 12 September to 14 November 2014 (with a few exclusions*). Tickets for travel between 15 and 21 November are available to book from 10.00 on 29 August.

One-way fares start from £10 in Standard and £30 in First Class. Plus you can still reap the rewards when you book as sale tickets are eligible for Rewards Points.

These incredible sale prices will only be around until midnight on 2 September 2014, and you'll only be able to book using the buttons below from your desktop or laptop (sorry, mobiles and tablets can't handle savings like this).

So book today and love train travel even more with our brilliant ticket savings!

Please note: Tickets for the final week of the travel period (15-21 November) will not be available until 29 August at 10am when this week goes on general sale.
Date exclusions: 4/5 October, 11/12 October, 18/19 October and 24 October – 2 November (inclusive).
Grab a deal you’ll love with East Coast.
Terms & Conditions
In addition to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, the following apply:
For travel on East Coast trains only from 12/09/14 to 21/11/14, excluding 4/5 October, 11/12 October, 18/19 October and 24 October – 2 November (inclusive).
Book by 23:59 on 2 September 2014 only at eastcoast.co.uk/lovetrains.
At least 200,000 one-way fares will be made available in Standard and First Class and are subject to availability.
Availability may be limited on Fridays and Sundays and for peak services.
No other offers or discounts can be applied, including Railcards or child discounts.
Travel on booked train only.
No changes, no refunds and no break of journey permitted.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Ten pounds off EMT tickets to St Pancras if booked by 5th September direct from their website with voucher code CR64WG474C (might only work for specific email addresses)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Ten pounds off EMT tickets to St Pancras if booked by 5th September direct from their website with voucher code CR64WG474C (might only work for specific email addresses)

That will be a one-off code but not tied to any specific email address AFAIK.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
East Coast said:
East Coast ticket sale

Love train travel? Be the first in our seat sale...
Don't you just love being at the front of the queue?

It would have been nice, yes.

East Coast said:
As a Rewards member, we thought you should be first to find out about the East Coast end of summer sale – your chance to grab a bargain ticket for travel on our route between London and Edinburgh, on East Coast trains, from 12 September to 14 November 2014 (with a few exclusions*). Tickets for travel between 15 and 21 November are available to book from 10.00 on 29 August.

As a Rewards member, I'm wondering why they didn't want me to be first to know :(

EDIT: I've now received the e-mail...sent 30 minutes after I posted here.

Last edited:

bengolding

That will be a one-off code but not tied to any specific email address AFAIK.

Also received this late summer offer email. Unlike previously, the offer isn't available directly via the EMT website but by invitation only. Note you have to book via the unique link in the email in order to be prompted to enter the Pin code after the 'Shopping basket' page.

westv

Established Member
Damn. Booked my EC October tickets last week. Could have saved myself £100 or so if I'd waited.

IanD

Established Member
Who? The unemployed?

For most of the school holiday there was disruption at the London end at weekends so it would have been madness to entice hoardes of people with cheap tickets.

Marionaki

I also got an email for Virgin for a £5 off, minimum spend of £25 for Standard Advance tickets only. Please let me know if you want the code, I won't be using it.

Code taken.

Last edited: