• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

danbushell

The Northern Rail tokens are the same as last time so if you have any from the last promotion these can be used too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
BahnCard 25 is available for €15 (£11.75) for three months of validity, offer ends 31st January.

The BahnCard is Germany's version of the railcard, with discount at 25%, but can be used on buses and services to other European countries too. Useful if you're planning a holiday.

theshillito

Just ordered 10 copies of the latest Yorkshire Evening Post for the Northern Rail tokens. They change £1.06 per copy to post them out, which the person I spoke to on the phone to order them felt was quite steep. That's 5 days of travel for £12.12 a day.

Cletus

Established Member
TPE sale

http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/sale/

Forget the gyms, fad diets and New Year's resolutions because until the 31st of January, you can save a further 25%* on all First TransPennine Express Advance Purchase tickets.

That's a massive saving on travel right up to 28th March 2015. So get your skates on and visit tpexpress.co.uk/sale, because the resolutions will wait, but our Winter Sale won't.

Terms & Conditions

The 25% discount applies to advance purchase tickets bought on First TransPennine Express services between 2nd January 2015 and 31st January 2015. Tickets must be for travel between the 3rd January 2015 up to and including the 28th March 2015 and must be purchased through the website link www.tpexpress.co.uk/sale
Discount is only available on tickets routed TPE Only and TPE & connections, not valid on any other types of tickets.
Advance purchase tickets bought via other parts of the website www.tpexpress.co.uk or other sales channels will not be subject to the 25% discount.
The 25% discount is not available on student advance tickets.
Advance purchase tickets are available on the majority of longer distance First TransPennine Express journeys. They must be purchased before 18:00 at least 1 day prior to travel.
Due to the limited availability and popularity of these tickets, please book early to avoid disappointment.
Advance purchase tickets are valid only for the train service for which they are booked.
Savings on advance fares verse purchase on the day.
An administration charge may be levied if a change is made to your journey.
Refunds not available

telstarbox

Established Member
Collect two tokens from the Sheffield Star/other papers:

For just £10 (£5 for kids*) you can travel anywhere with Northern Rail for a day. or make a weekend of it for just £17.50 (£8.75 for kids*)

To qualify for this special offer:

- Collect two tokens from the paper. Tokens will be printed until January 23, 2015.
- Two tokens allow you to buy up to 4 Northern Rail Day Ranger tickets or Weekend rover tickets.
- Travel available January 24 - March 15, 2015 (excluding February 14-22). All tickets must be for travel on the same day/weekend.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/what-s-on/out-about/unlimited-rail-travel-for-just-10-per-person-1-7041734

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I read in this morning edition of North Wales rail newsboard, the over 55s ticket is back for a short period.
I'll let Charlie Hume the editor explain,

If I could guarantee the loco hauled will be running, I'll do Wrexham/Chester/Holyhead/Manchester and return. So I'll book on the day to ensure the 0950 has left Piccadilly in its mark3 best suit and not a dressed down 175.

link to ATWs website, http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Club55/TandCs/

Interestingly, all mention of Club55 has disappeared from ATW's website...or at least I can't find it! Using the above link does bring up the Club55 page, but when I looked for a Club55 ticket from the link therein only the standard fares appeared, and exactly the same when I tried again by copying and pasting the promotional code (ATWCLUB).
Over the years the ATW website has often proved troublesome...that's why I only use it for Club55 and the occasional Sailrail.
Can anyone else locate the offer?

MKD

I thought that, at first, it came up with the correct page, but the prices quoted were the standard fares!

Working for me just before I typed this today 31/1 17:00 on:
http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/club55/

ie just filling in left margin say Birmingham International to Aberystwyth on 1/2 out in morning back in afternoon came up with the Club55 fares.

Maybe double-check you are complying with stations/dates of the offer ?

dvboy

Established Member
London midland great escape is back.

7th Feb to 1st march.
http://www.londonmidland.com/great-escape/great-escape/

£15 Monday to Thursday, £20 Friday to Sunday.

Great on the face of it, but for some journeys this means there are no advances available so it's actually more expensive.

I was looking at going to Liverpool overnight on Sunday 22nd, and since there are no advances for the outward journey, the cheapest ticket is now the Super Off Peak Return.

Red Dragon

I thought that, at first, it came up with the correct page, but the prices quoted were the standard fares!

Arglwydd, if you get the Club 55 page up, click on the "Home" tab and that booking form works for me - "ATWCLUB" appears in the Promotional Code box below the Railcards box.
Pob hwyl

Devonman2014

Last night whilst on 16:50 Waterloo - Exeter was chatting to a guy who stated from FEb to Apr South west trains are doing a £15 return anywhere on their network offer - has anyone else heard or know of this ?:D

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Arglwydd, if you get the Club 55 page up, click on the "Home" tab and that booking form works for me - "ATWCLUB" appears in the Promotional Code box below the Railcards box.
Pob hwyl

Well, it worked eventually, but only after I changed the time of my journey. I was looking to book a ticket from Bangor to Crewe next Saturday after 07h00 (early starts are allowed on Saturday). Club55 tickets only came up after I changed the time to 09h00. Probably a glitch in the system, I've become used to that over the years...and is the reason I don't normally use ATW's website except for Club55/Sailrail tickets.

TEW

Established Member
Last night whilst on 16:50 Waterloo - Exeter was chatting to a guy who stated from FEb to Apr South west trains are doing a £15 return anywhere on their network offer - has anyone else heard or know of this ?:D

There will be a £15 day return offer. Tuesdays-Saturdays only 24th February-4th April. Must be purchased at least a day in advance and not valid past Salisbury or Bournemouth.

extendedpaul

There will be a £15 day return offer. Tuesdays-Saturdays only 24th February-4th April. Must be purchased at least a day in advance and not valid past Salisbury or Bournemouth.

When these sort of offers are being discussed by the TOC there must be somebody who says something along the lines that we mustn't be too generous in what travel we allow for this price ....

If the lines to Weymouth and Exeter had been included I suspect the take up would be greater and loss of revenue minimal.

I wonder if railcard discounts will be available and will journeys be restricted to booked trains ?

embers25

Established Member

It gets more restricted each time. Soon it will barely beat the network card discount. Also seemingly not during Feb Half Term unlike usual. Based on previous ones they'll be no railcard discount. I know beyond Salisbury caused overcrowding so that's why that got canned but I never saw trains beyond Bournemouth struggling for capacity, particularly in winter.

Last edited:

LeylandLen

My gripe with these various offers by TOCS is that they can have different validity restrictions. London Midland Great Escape valid 7th Feb to 1st March including schools half term holidays (14th Feb to 22nd Feb inc) whereas Northern Rail £10 rover tickets, although valid until 15th March Exclude the above dates for half term !!( Although I live in Lancs, I can use London Midland from Liverpool Lime Street ; Northern Rail and TPE are my local TOCS ~)

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
When these sort of offers are being discussed by the TOC there must be somebody who says something along the lines that we mustn't be too generous in what travel we allow for this price ....

If the lines to Weymouth and Exeter had been included I suspect the take up would be greater and loss of revenue minimal.

I wonder if railcard discounts will be available and will journeys be restricted to booked trains ?
No railcard discounts are available. Travel won't be restricted to the booked train, the tickets will take the restrictions of the First Class Off-Peak Day Return. (Not Valid arriving Waterloo before 1000, or departing between 1600 and 1900.) The reason given for the extra restrictions to travel past Bournemouth this year are because of engineering work taking place along the line.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It gets more restricted each time. Soon it will barely beat the network card discount. Also seemingly not during Feb Half Term unlike usual. Based on previous ones they'll be no railcard discount. I know beyond Salisbury caused overcrowding so that's why that got canned but I never saw trains beyond Bournemouth struggling for capacity, particularly in winter.

For me with the TFL price increase for travel-cards, it is pretty much the same price as a super off-peak travelcard from my local station, which has the advantage of being allowed for use on Sundays.

I miss the old "Rainbow Day" promotion SWT did a few years ago, a day-ranger ticket valid across the network but only could be purchased from a certain station.

theshillito

Worth noting that Northern Rail have added a new restriction to the offer from last time where you can only book the tickets 3 days in advance. My journey next weekend I can't book tickets for until mid-week now (I've got to rush to the station from work before the ticket office closes I guess).

Worth noting that Northern Rail have added a new restriction to the offer from last time where you can only book the tickets 3 days in advance. My journey next weekend I can't book tickets for until mid-week now (I've got to rush to the station from work before the ticket office closes I guess).

I don't always read the full T & C, But I have a already used 1 rover which I booked a week ahead and my next is booked for 6 March, bought from Meadowhall Station no problems.

theshillito

I don't always read the full T & C, But I have a already used 1 rover which I booked a week ahead and my next is booked for 6 March, bought from Meadowhall Station no problems.

Crewe ticket office refused to sell me the tickets I wanted because of that term. Guess it's up to whoever is behind the counter.