• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Kite159

Veteran Member
No voucher from EMT for me this time round, must only go out to customers who haven't used the website in a while.

Wouldn't a travelcard be St Pancras to London Zones 1-6 rather than U123456, as a ticket for U123456 would only be valid once?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Searle

Established Member
it doesnt seem to allow st pancras -> london u123456
how did you make it? by the way, my wife didn't receive any voucher, so maybe it is not for everyone or only 1 per household.

Luton Airport Parkway - London St Pancras and then select a travelcard from that (and ignore the Luton part of course :P)

CallySleeper

Established Member
Northern Rail day-ranger offer in May and June

To qualify for this special offer, simply collect 2 tokens from your local newspaper, printed until Saturday 2 May 2015, register or log-in to MyNorthern, download an application form (below) and buy your tickets from any staffed ticket office.

You can travel anywhere on the Northern Rail network using Northern Rail services. Hop on and off all day long. Visit Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Southport, Sheffield, York and more with Northern Rail.

2 tokens allow you to buy up to 4 Northern Rail only Day Ranger tickets or Weekend Rover tickets which must all be used on the same day or weekend (depending on the ticket chosen). Travel is available between Tuesday 5 May - Sunday 28 June 2015 (excluding 23 - 31 May).

No railcard etc discounts, only available on Northern services after 08.45 Mon-Fri.

IanD

Established Member
But still £12.50 for the vast area covered is excellent value for money

That was the argument used when LM upped their Great Escape ticket and now it's double the original price with loads more restrictions.

Thin end of the wedge.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That was the argument used when LM upped their Great Escape ticket and now it's double the original price with loads more restrictions.

Thin end of the wedge.

It used to be £10, now it's £15 Monday to Thursday, only double the price at the weekend. I can see why they have restrictions on the Trent Valley services, they get very busy all day long!

I don't see a "load more restrictions" other than that on the GE though, indeed I benefited a lot from the changes, as Hereford is included in the non-time restricted area and has been for the last few GEs. Very pleased about that, even though the ATW clerk didn't believe me!

I still say a GE is exceptional value even at £15.

I would love to use this Northern offer, but sadly I can't get access to the tokens! :(

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It's worth checking if any of the newspapers can deliver back copies by post - this would be one way of getting tokens, as I notice the selection of publications is greatly reduced.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good point, although by the time I've done all that it may just be easier to stick with the regional rangers and not attempt to give myself too many options.

Time will tell though, as will my trip report thread later this year. Pending time off being granted that is...

EDIT: Wow that really is a limited selection!

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Although to be fair, LM did not offer Railcard discounts when it was £10, so for Railcard holders, it actually went down from £10 to £9.90, then they reduced the discount percentage and it went up to £12.

IanD

Established Member
I wonder how many apologists there would be if any other fare was raised by 25%. Or anything else for that matter - 25% on a pint in your local, 25% on overpriced coffee in your local overpriced multinational coffee chain anyone?

Bite reduced their discount from 20% to 10% and the outrage lasted months with people burning their cards and refusing to buy coffee at stations ever again.

Thin end of the wedge. Next round, they'll introduce weekday evening peak restrictions.

CallySleeper

Established Member
JakeF:2143767 said:
It's worth checking if any of the newspapers can deliver back copies by post - this would be one way of getting tokens, as I notice the selection of publications is greatly reduced.

If anybody needs tokens, I might be able to help out. PM me.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Tokens for the Northern offer are in the Hull Daily Mail, Scunthorpe Telegraph, Lincolnshire Echo, Nottingham Post and The Sentinel (a Staffordshire paper). It would be interesting to find out if they have changed the apperance of the tokens since the last offer ;)

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Tokens for the Northern offer are in the Hull Daily Mail, Scunthorpe Telegraph, Lincolnshire Echo, Nottingham Post and The Sentinel (a Staffordshire paper). It would be interesting to find out if they have changed the apperance of the tokens since the last offer ;)

When you print off the application form, it's headed "Local World Day Ranger" rather than "Johnston Press newspaper offer" as per the last offer. Although this simply means it's in conjunction with a different local newspaper group, it makes you wonder if the token design will be different too.

EDIT: Here's the dates the tokens will be appearing in the relevant papers.

http://www.northernrail.org/lw2015/newspapers

Last edited:

theshillito

Gosh! The Stoke Sentinel? They're finally doing papers near my neck of the woods! I might even be able to find one in a local shop, rather than ordering them in! Guess I'll be heading out tonight to look for places that stock it!

greatkingrat

Established Member
I wonder how many apologists there would be if any other fare was raised by 25%. Or anything else for that matter - 25% on a pint in your local, 25% on overpriced coffee in your local overpriced multinational coffee chain anyone?

Bite reduced their discount from 20% to 10% and the outrage lasted months with people burning their cards and refusing to buy coffee at stations ever again.

Thin end of the wedge. Next round, they'll introduce weekday evening peak restrictions.

It isn't a normal fare though, Northern are under no obligation to offer the ticket at all.

It's like complaining that Tesco's are selling baked beans at 20% off, because six months ago they were 30% off.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

I don't think anyone can argue that these fares do not represent excellent value for money. With a 25% increase over effectively a number of years they still represent excellent value.

That is quite different to Bite card discount which applied to overpriced items in the first place, or many regular fares which can be described in the same manner.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't think anyone can argue that these fares do not represent excellent value for money. With a 25% increase over effectively a number of years they still represent excellent value.

That is quite different to Bite card discount which applied to overpriced items in the first place, or many regular fares which can be described in the same manner.

Quite.

Still a very good offer. Am a little worried that I don't seem to be anywhere near these newspapers though !

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Has anyone managed to get a look at the new Northern tokens to see if the design has been changed since the offer was last on? I have a couple left over from last time thay ran the offer that I never used as the weather was so miserable and I'm out of area for the current newspapers.

I don't recall Northern running this offer during the summer months before, so I'm not too unhappy about the 25% price increase as the days are longer and it is still very good value for money.

CallySleeper

Established Member
lyndhurst25:2147144 said:
Has anyone managed to get a look at the new Northern tokens to see if the design has been changed since the offer was last on? I have a couple left over from last time thay ran the offer that I never used as the weather was so miserable and I'm out of area for the current newspapers.

I don't recall Northern running this offer during the summer months before, so I'm not too unhappy about the 25% price increase as the days are longer and it is still very good value for money.
As attached minus the red pen obviously

Attachments

• IMAG1199_1.jpg
    IMAG1199_1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 89

theshillito

They might be a different colour. These seem to be purple; last ones were blue. Or it could be my eyes.

Considering station staff at Crewe routinely spend 10 minutes reading the terms and conditions, deciding if they are on the Northern network, then spend a further 10 finding the ticket in the system /every time I use the offer/, I think they won't notice a colour change.

crehld

Established Member
They might be a different colour. These seem to be purple; last ones were blue. Or it could be my eyes.
The vouchers in the Sentinel have been changing colour everyday, appears to be a printing issue. Ranges from very light blue to dark purple.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Considering station staff at Crewe routinely spend 10 minutes reading the terms and conditions, deciding if they are on the Northern network, then spend a further 10 finding the ticket in the system /every time I use the offer/, I think they won't notice a colour change.
I've never had this problem at Crewe ticket office before! My last Northern rangers and LM great escapes have been issued very swiftly without hassle!

Last edited:

trivran

When I last did the Northern day ranger offer the guy at Nottingham had never seen one before. Issued duly though..

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
When I last did the Northern day ranger offer the guy at Nottingham had never seen one before. Issued duly though..

As the fare this time is £12.50 rather than £10, is there a new code or ticket type you can quote to the booking clerk to speed the process?