• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

glenbogle

Thanks for posting the Scotsman Offer, just bought 2 first class returns. Also note the 15:00 was available from KGX to EDB.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
If there are any future very good rail offers, e.g. the recent FCC ticket giveaway or the £10 discount offered by EMT, please can you post them in the main forum so others don't miss out? It's rather unfair there is a separate thread in the main NR Forum about whether people have received their FCC tickets but no mention at all in that forum previously as to them being available so I missed out :(.

They were posted in this thread on 18 October.

FCC offer available for 5 free return tickets on FCC services when you sign up to receive updates. Warning though Martin Lewis is planning to put this in tomorrow's Money Saving Expert email so it might be withdrawn early.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-coach-train-ticket-deals#fcc

Bungle73

On Moderation
If there are any future very good rail offers, e.g. the recent FCC ticket giveaway or the £10 discount offered by EMT, please can you post them in the main forum so others don't miss out? It's rather unfair there is a separate thread in the main NR Forum about whether people have received their FCC tickets but no mention at all in that forum previously as to them being available so I missed out :(.

Why don't you just keep an eye on this thread? It is stickied at the top of the page, and you could subscribe to it.

Last edited:

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

This is the main topic for offers etc :) - we don't want the NR General forum cluttered with ticket offers, as it'd make it look cluttered! I would personally bookmark this thread if you dont want to miss out on anything!

wintonian

Established Member
Or you can chose to subscribe to this topic through your user CP and have emails sent when the thread is updated. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Chiltern said:
Your train ticket will take you anywhere you want – to as many destinations as you like, including a return trip to London or Birmingham.</snip>

Well not quite.

Chiltern T&C's said:
A £10 Go Further ticket allows free parking at any Chiltern Railways managed station car park plus one day’s unlimited travel anywhere on Chiltern Railways trains, including to London Marylebone. Tickets are not valid for travel on trains operated by any other company. </snip>

martinsh

Established Member
Virgin's First Class Seat Sale starts November 23rd, for travel between December 10th and January 22nd.

o £17 between stations to and from West Midlands one way
o £24 between stations to and from Stafford & Stoke-on-Trent one way
o £28 between stations to and from North West one way
o £30 between stations to and from North Wales & Cumbria one way
o £40 between stations to and from Scotland one way

Prices to/from the West Midlands and Stafford/Stoke are slightly lower than last time, whilst all other fares are slightly higher. To be fair to Virgin, the new prices better reflect the different distances involved.

Tickets will be available to book through ALL booking engines. Child discounts apply. Railcard discounts do NOT apply.

More details here: http://traveltrade.virgintrains.co.uk/2011/11/first-class-seat-sale.html

I gather this promotion has been run in the past. Does anyone have experience of using it ? Is it just off-peak tickets, or would there be some peak availability ?

[I'd like to book Crewe - Euston outward 0856, return approx 1600 sometime in the middle of Jan ]

All Line Rover

Established Member
I gather this promotion has been run in the past. Does anyone have experience of using it ? Is it just off-peak tickets, or would there be some peak availability ?

[I'd like to book Crewe - Euston outward 0856, return approx 1600 sometime in the middle of Jan ]

In my experience, there is availability on morning "peak" trains between Stoke / Stafford / Birmingham and London (by which I mean around 9am). There is never any availabilty on the 0856 from Crewe, but the 0956 has plenty of sale tickets available. Do be aware that this train can get very busy in both First and Standard Class (especially when a sale is on) with First Class full to standing after Milton Keynes.

On the return, I don't remember the 1610 or 1710 having any sale tickets available, but the 1810 usually has a few, is not too busy (being a double Super Voyager), and has an Evening Meal service.

All Line Rover

Established Member

IanD

Established Member
How many tickets can you get on one voucher? (i.e. does everyone travelling need a voucher?)

This was in the confirmation email I got:

This voucher can be used to buy as many £10 Go Further tickets as you want for the date shown above. If you have family or friends travelling with you, you only need one voucher to get multiple tickets for this date. If you want to travel on any other dates you'll need to apply for a separate voucher for each date

bengolding

Some good detective work, ALR :).

I assume there must be wording on these tickets saying they have no monetary value etc? If so, I'm shocked this sellier has benefited financially from this promotion, not least for gaining multiple sets of tickets. Wonder what FCC would think about that - would they even care if brought to their attention?

wintonian

Established Member
Some good detective work, ALR :).

I assume there must be wording on these tickets saying they have no monetary value etc? If so, I'm shocked this sellier has benefited financially from this promotion, not least for gaining multiple sets of tickets. Wonder what FCC would think about that - would they even care if brought to their attention?

"This ticket has no re-sale value"

parkender102

In my experience, there is availability on morning "peak" trains between Stoke / Stafford / Birmingham and London (by which I mean around 9am). There is never any availabilty on the 0856 from Crewe, but the 0956 has plenty of sale tickets available. Do be aware that this train can get very busy in both First and Standard Class (especially when a sale is on) with First Class full to standing after Milton Keynes.

On the return, I don't remember the 1610 or 1710 having any sale tickets available, but the 1810 usually has a few, is not too busy (being a double Super Voyager), and has an Evening Meal service.

Can't find any sign of these fares this morning (I'm using the East Coast Trains Website). Anyone had any success on any other ticket booking websites?

All Line Rover

Established Member
Can't find any sign of these fares this morning (I'm using the East Coast Trains Website). Anyone had any success on any other ticket booking websites?

You are quite correct - the tickets are not appearing on the East Coast website. However, the are appearing on Redspottedhanky (WebTIS, like East Coast) as well as on Virgin Trains and National Rail Enquiries (providing you search for the correct dates, of course).

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Presumably they're hoping noone refers them to the police - or they don't realise it's a breach of the bylaws to sell them.

pemma

Veteran Member
That last person was selling THREE batches. Absolutely ridiculous! <(

It seems very commonplace for people to get things that are free that they have no intention of using and then to sell them on eBay.

Aquafresh recently did a promotion where they gave away tubes of toothpaste, while Colgate also did a promotion where they gave away tubes of toothpaste. Then look at what this eBay user is selling:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/nick.in.h...ealthBeauty_DentalCare_RL&_trksid=p4340.l2562

dvboy

Established Member
Regarding the Clubcard/Red Spotted Hanky deal, it's worth checking your Clubcard account for any vouchers you may have lost. Turns out I had a £1 voucher I'd never used which was just what I needed to get £30 on the deal rather than £15.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It seems very commonplace for people to get things that are free that they have no intention of using and then to sell them on eBay.

Aquafresh recently did a promotion where they gave away tubes of toothpaste, while Colgate also did a promotion where they gave away tubes of toothpaste. Then look at what this eBay user is selling:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/nick.in.h...ealthBeauty_DentalCare_RL&_trksid=p4340.l2562

Can't check what that one is from here, but the difference is with most products it's not breaking a law to do it.

wintonian

Established Member
EMT 20% promo code.

Whilst I'm at risk of encouraging people to use EMT, some of you might be interested in signing up for there new "on-line discount off"

Put in your name, email and tell thrm when you last travelled and apparently your code is emailed to you.

Railcards - yes (standard class only)
Minimum ticket value - £10
End date - 31.01.2012

Only valid on certain (unspecified) journeys to/ from St Pancreas.

EMT promo link

T&C's
Promotional Discounts — Terms and Conditions

East Midlands Trains promotional discounts can only be applied to online bookings made through the East Midlands Trains website.

Discounts cannot be applied to bookings for journeys with East Midlands Trains made on other rail booking websites or any other website owned and/or operated by Stagecoach Group PLC.

To redeem a promotion discount this must be booked via the booking link provided in the discount email, the correct promotional discount code should be entered when prompted during booking process. The discount will be automatically applied and you will be shown the new value prior to payment. The discount cannot be redeemed directly from the website.

A minimum ticket value of £10 applies to all promotional discounts.

Unless otherwise specified, the promotional discount is only valid on select journeys to/from London St Pancras International with East Midlands Trains.

Promotional discounts codes will expire on the specified date.

The date of travel may be on any date for which a ticket can be purchase with the promotional discount code before it expires. This is normally up to three months following the date of booking. Please note, due to engineering works, some dates within the travel period may not be available. You will be notified during booking if this is the case.

All bookings will be subject to availability at the time of transaction.

The discount will be applied to the price presented prior to the payment stage.

A limit of one discount code per booking applies.

Promotional discount is non-transferable, not valid on past purchases and not exchangeable for cash.

The discount code may be used in conjunction with Railcard and Child discounts, but cannot be used in conjunction with any further promotion or discounts. However the Railcard discounts cannot be used in conjunction with the First Class promotional discounts.

East Midlands Trains reserves the right to change or cancel the discount code campaign at any time. Once you have made your booking, the price paid will not change.

All bookings are subject to East Midlands Trains standard terms and conditions.

Should you need a refund, the refund will only be to the value paid for the promotional ticket, excluding advance fares. Should you need to amend your discounted journey to one outside the terms of this offer, or amend your booking after the expiry of the offer, you may be required to pay the value of your original discount as well as any excess fare.

East Midlands Trains standard amendment and cancellation terms apply.