• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
No, sorry. It's typically around 20%.

Seem to be some much larger discounts this time.

I've looked at First for the morning of 21/05 Glasgow to London:

0800 (changing at Crewe or remaining on board)
Advance: £51
Seat Sale: £38
Discount 25%

Advance: £136
Discount 72%

Advance: £78.50
Discount 51%

All Line Rover

Established Member
I have to admit it's a pretty good deal. The best they've had in a long, long time. The dates are no use to me (Virgin chose them for a reason - low commuter/business travel) but the offer certainly isn't worth complaining about! I'm amazed they've got sale tickets at £9.50(STD)/£28.50(1ST) on the 07:55 from Manchester to Euston. That service is normally £110(STD)/£210(1ST)!

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Seem to be some much larger discounts this time.

I've looked at First for the morning of 21/05 Glasgow to London:

0800 (changing at Crewe or remaining on board)
Advance: £51
Discount 25%

Advance: £136
Discount 72%

Advance: £78.50
Discount 51%

The savings to London are probably the best value at £38 for the sale seat whereas bizarrely Birmingham and Wolverhampton are £10 dearer from Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Middling destinations like Lancaster and Preston at £28 are not quite so spectacular :p

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The savings to London are probably the best value at £38 for the sale seat whereas bizarrely Birmingham and Wolverhampton are £10 dearer from Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Middling destinations like Lancaster and Preston at £28 are not quite so spectacular :p

Ah - I was looking at a date that interested me - I'm already travelling on that day but by East Coast as Virgin's price when I booked was too high for me - and with East Coast I can walk through to STD at York and use my season ticket so I only paid £29 for 1st that far - must remember or I might be posting in the disputes section :D - also need to remember I can't take advantage of the free alcohol.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Ah - I was looking at a date that interested me - I'm already travelling on that day but by East Coast as Virgin's price when I booked was too high for me - and with East Coast I can walk through to STD at York and use my season ticket so I only paid £29 for 1st that far - must remember or I might be posting in the disputes section :D - also need to remember I can't take advantage of the free alcohol.

I have bitten the bullet and booked a trip to Preston from Glasgow at £28 each way. It's a place I've often driven past or gone through on the Train. Couple of Museums and the legendary Bus Station are on my radar.:p

Also may be able to fit in a "short hop" to Blackpool for a couple of hours.

Breakfast on the way down and Evening Meal on the way back have softened the blow. The 1830 return service is non-stop from London then onto Glasgow without any further stops. As this leaves London at 1630 and only stops at Preston I am banking on it being fairly empty.

Wolfie

Established Member
This may have been posted before and I missed it but I don't think so - hope it is helpful to anyone travelling from Liverpool St/Tottenham Hale to Stanstead. It makes the journey cost almost comparable with Terrorvision and NatExpress coaches.

£8 each way between London Liverpool Street and Stansted Airport if booked 30 days or more in advance (ends 19th May), and £12 if booked 7 days or more in advance.

Conditions:
Only available for online bookings.
Online booking must be made at least 7 or 30 days in advance of outbound travel date for a single or return journey to qualify for these offer fares.
Only applies to Standard Class tickets.
Only available as an e-ticket or m-ticket. Single tickets are valid for one journey on the outbound travel date booked. Return tickets are valid for 30 days from the date of the outbound travel.
Offer is non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
You cannot start, break or resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station.
Cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion or offer.
Low cost 7 day Advance bookable until further notice. Low cost 30 day Advance bookable up to 19 May 2014. All information is correct as of February 2014. Stansted Express reserves the right to make changes without prior notice and to withdraw the offers at any time provided that all outstanding purchases are honoured.
Cannot be used with Railcards, other offers, promotions and discounts, or with any other train company special offers.
Children under 5 years travel free.
Submissions must not be made by agents or third parties.

https://www.stanstedexpress.com/offers/advance-fares

user15681

Established Member
Southeastern have bought back the £10 returns to certain Kent (and East Sussex) destinations. Different destinations this time - Ramsgate, Broadstairs, Whitstable, Rochester and Hastings.

T&Cs as follows:

National Rail Conditions of Carriage apply. See www.nationalrail.co.uk/nrcoc
£10 price.
Adult Day Return only and journeys cannot be broken.
No railcard discounts.
For travel weekdays after 0900 and anytime on weekends.
Online purchase only from Southeastern website. Buy online.
London terminals to either: Hastings, Broadstairs, Rochester, Whitstable or Ramsgate only.
Includes direct high speed services only (so you can’t get to Hastings via high speed).
Ticket is valid for travel on Southeastern services only.
Non refundable, non returnable.
Travel available for the period 1 to 26 May 2014.

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/special-offers/kent-destinations/

If I can check a route, I'm certainly going to take advantage of that one!

Last edited:

overtonchris

Southeastern have bought back the £10 returns to certain Kent (and East Sussex) destinations. Different destinations this time - Ramsgate, Broadstairs, Whitstable, Rochester and Hastings.

T&Cs as follows:

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/destinations/kent-destinations

If I can check a route, I'm certainly going to take advantage of that one!

A good offer indeed!! Thanks for the "Heads-Up" Ryan. A very affordable trip on one of the blue shiny things coming up methinks. Very decent fish, chips and beer in Ramsgate if my memory serves me correct!:D

ashworth

Established Member

That sounds great. I'm in London for a few days coinciding with the last weekend of this offer. Does anyone know if they will be on sale online right up until the offer ends on 26th May.
Would like to go on 2 days out to both Hastings and Ramsgate but want to wait until I've seen weather forecast before booking rather than book now. I'd then book the night before and collect from ticket machines at Charing Cross or St Pancras on morning of travel. Just don't want opportunity of purchasing these tickets to be withdrawn too early.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was trying to make use of the 10% NUS discount on Grand Central tickets, but I've given up, the website is rubbish.

Whatever happened to being able to select your own seat, as my luck with XC reservations have so far been backwards facing airline aisle seating with no window.

*goes off grumbling as well, £1 for postage for something booked at the end of June, £1 for ticket collection or 'free' e-tickets*

Last edited:

boyaloud

Crewe to London virgin super off peak return now available only until 25 may - Did a dedicated post about this but people may have missed it. Similar to the Stoke to London deal last month.

Last edited:

Searle

Established Member
"When you buy a MOMA! breakfast from selected WH Smith and Superdrug stores you can take advantage of a great deal with us. Check out details here! http://*******/QLowob"

20% off First and Standard Class Advance fares with East Coast for tickets between 6th May and 18th July (exc 23rd - 26th May). No mention of railcard discount on top of it though.

tony_mac

Established Member
Crewe to London virgin super off peak return now available only until 25 may - Did a dedicated post about this but people may have missed it. Similar to the Stoke to London deal last month.

How are you supposed to find the actual restrictions for this ticket?
It's not on NRES, and Virgin's website is not particularly helpful.
Return - Any valid train. Please check the ticket terms for validity
and the ticket terms say....
VALIDITY
Your outward journey must be on super off-peak trains on the date specified, and you must return on super off-peak trains within one calendar month. Super off-peak times vary by route - our journey planner only shows super off-peak tickets on trains for which they are valid.

user15681

Established Member
To celebrate their 30th birthday, Gatwick Express are offering 30% off some tickets bought online. Site - http://www.gatwickexpress.com/en/offers/30-birthday/

Terms and conditions:

Tickets must be booked online at gatwickexpress.com between 6 and 11 May 2014 inclusive.
This promotion applies to Standard Anytime Return and Day Returns and Single tickets only
The 30% discount is a discount off the station price
Train travel can be booked 12 weeks in advance, with Anytime Return tickets valid for one calendar month from the start date
Available for adult and child tickets
This discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other online offers (e.g. 4 for 2, 3 for 2, or Web Duo tickets)
Gatwick Express reserves the right to withdraw or amend this offer at anytime and without notice
The offer is not exchangeable for any other offer. Cash or credit alternatives will not be offered
Offer expires midnight Sunday 11 May 2014
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That sounds great. I'm in London for a few days coinciding with the last weekend of this offer. Does anyone know if they will be on sale online right up until the offer ends on 26th May.
Would like to go on 2 days out to both Hastings and Ramsgate but want to wait until I've seen weather forecast before booking rather than book now. I'd then book the night before and collect from ticket machines at Charing Cross or St Pancras on morning of travel. Just don't want opportunity of purchasing these tickets to be withdrawn too early.

Sorry for the late reply. I've spoken with someone today and they've confirmed that they will be on sale right up until the end of offer on 26th May. They're not quota controlled so won't be withdrawn early.

richardderby

"When you buy a MOMA! breakfast from selected WH Smith and Superdrug stores you can take advantage of a great deal with us. Check out details here! http://*******/QLowob"

20% off First and Standard Class Advance fares with East Coast for tickets between 6th May and 18th July (exc 23rd - 26th May). No mention of railcard discount on top of it though.

see:
http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/moma

Last edited by a moderator:

island

Veteran Member
The customary summer offer of a free short-dated Family & Friends Railcard is back this year but has moved to the Mirror and Daily Record. No silly passwords this year, just go to www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/trialcard and fill in your address etc.

Register by 21-MAY-14 and the Railcard expires on 31-JLY-14 with the usual offer of a voucher code for £10 off a full F&F Railcard.

ashworth

Established Member
Sorry for the late reply. I've spoken with someone today and they've confirmed that they will be on sale right up until the end of offer on 26th May. They're not quota controlled so won't be withdrawn early.

Thanks for finding out that information more me. I thought that was probably the case, I just wanted to make sure.
It's just a pity that I don't arrive in London until 24th May and so will only be able to make use of this great offer on the Sunday and Monday.

user15681

Established Member
Thanks for finding out that information more me. I thought that was probably the case, I just wanted to make sure.
It's just a pity that I don't arrive in London until 24th May and so will only be able to make use of this great offer on the Sunday and Monday.

No problem at all. Ah, that is a shame that you only have two days to use the offer, enjoy it though! Note any engineering works for those two dates too. Rochester and Whitstable will require a replacement bus on that Sunday, whilst Whitstable will also require a replacement bus on the Monday. Ramsgate and Broadstairs (via HS1 or mainline through Ashford), and Hastings should be fine for those two days, but check just in case.

For anyone else reading this post, the Southeastern £10 returns to certain destinations have proved very popular in the past and current offer, so despite the current offer ending on 26th May, I'd say watch this space for the summer.

I recieved an email at work and South West Trains are doing £14 off peak day returns and £5 for kids between 24/05/14 and 01/06/14 including week days with the same conditions as the recent Winter Smiles promotion i.e SWT only between one origin and one destination etc etc as long as you travel off peak. Details will be on SWT website soon

Last edited: