• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
I wonder why that is ?
The simple answer is that the local bus companies have not agreed to the reduction in price, but that raises the question why they haven't.

It is evident that the big bus groups support the offer. My guess is that the 8 places named above have a higher proportion of bus services operated by smaller companies, and that it has not been possible to gain the consent of these companies.

pemma

Veteran Member
The simple answer is that the local bus companies have not agreed to the reduction in price, but that raises the question why they haven't.

It is evident that the big bus groups support the offer. My guess is that the 8 places named above have a higher proportion of bus services operated by smaller companies, and that it has not been possible to gain the consent of these companies.

Congleton is mainly D&G Bus who seem to be in a poor financial state.

Brucey

Here is a list of the companies accepting PlusBus in each area and their parent company....

Ayr - Stagecoach
Bournemouth - See Poole
Congleton - Arriva, Bakerbus (independent), D&G (independent)
Dumfries - Stagecoach
Edinburgh - Lothian Buses (local authority), Edinburgh trams (local authority), First, Stagecoach, Edinburgh Coach Lines (independent), E&M Horsburgh (independent)
Kilmarnock - Stagecoach
Poole - Yellow Buses (RATP), Wilts & Dorset (Go Ahead), Damory Coaches (Go Ahead), First, Shaftesbury&District (independent)
Windermere - Stagecoach

CallySleeper

Established Member

Actually I don't think it is that evident in these 8 places. The likes of Ayr and Dumfries (and surrounding areas) are majority Stagecoach; Edinburgh has some First and Stagecoach services but otherwise is 98% TfE which is a public body. So in these places the majority operators are the biggest but obviously aren't willing to accept the offer for whatever reason.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
special offer from Northern Rail for cycling spectators

https://www.northernrail.org/tickets/Le+Yorkshire+ticket

What a strange offer. Only the other week Northern were warning about overcrowding on their trains while the Tour de France is on and now they're encouraging even more people to travel!

Secondly how will it be enforced - do you actually have to prove you're going to watch the cycling in order for the ticket to be valid? I'm not interested in the cycling but quite fancy a day out in Skipton or Harrogate for £9. If I was nowhere near the race on the day could a guard deem my ticket invalid?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
What a strange offer. Only the other week Northern were warning about overcrowding on their trains while the Tour de France is on and now they're encouraging even more people to travel!

Secondly how will it be enforced - do you actually have to prove you're going to watch the cycling in order for the ticket to be valid? I'm not interested in the cycling but quite fancy a day out in Skipton or Harrogate for £9. If I was nowhere near the race on the day could a guard deem my ticket invalid?

From the link above...

Northern Rail said:
These tickets will allow you to travel on any Northern Rail service that starts and finishes at stations noted in the Stations tab on the weekend of the Tour de France (Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 July).

alex17595

According to the stations tab you can use it to Harrogate.

pemma

Veteran Member

I imagine the special ticket is for simplicity, you buy one ticket and it's valid for the day within the area rather than buying a load of singles or a Metro ticket and then having to buy an extra ticket to get to Harrogate.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I imagine the special ticket is for simplicity, you buy one ticket and it's valid for the day within the area rather than buying a load of singles or a Metro ticket and then having to buy an extra ticket to get to Harrogate.

It is a lot cheaper than a lot of returns (such as York to Keighley ) - of course you're restricted to the slower trains between York and Leeds in that case.

user15681

Established Member
Chiltern are running a football related offer. London to Birmingham for just £19.66 return (from 11th June until 20th July).
Saw this in the Evening Standard yesterday, so for full terms and conditions go to www.chiltern1966.co.uk

Cletus

Established Member

Cletus

Established Member
Got a leaflet in the post saying I can claim a 10% saving at www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/saveandescape

Terms and conditions
Only available when purchased from: www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/saveandescape
Only available on 'Advance' ticket types
Only one redemption per First Great Western account
Save up to 10% off when you receive the First Great Western promotion
Available for purchase in either First Class or Standard Class
Only available for use on the services of 'First Greater Western Ltd' (trading as First Great Western)
You can book right up until 1800 the day before you travel, subject to availability
Not available where the ticket would allow travel on the services of train companies other than 'First Greater Western Ltd' (trading as First Great Western)
Offer ends midnight 6th July 2014
Only available for when travel is between 7th July 2014 2014 until 20th July 2014
Availability may be limited or withdrawn for journeys related to the following events:
Glastonbury Festival (journeys to/from Castle Cary) Wednesday 25th June 2014 – Monday 30th June 2014
Henley Regatta (journeys to/from Henley-on-Thames) Wednesday 2nd July 2014 – Sunday 6th July 2014
Normal Railcard and Child discounts DO apply with this offer
Tickets not refundable (unless qualifying service disruption occurs)
For more advance fares terms and conditions click here.

Last edited:

kareeosman

£10 SWT network rover from Portsmouth
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/stationofthemonth.aspx

This weekend it seems, but no travel west of Salisbury :(

Odd question, but if the ticket was bought for me, would I have to visit Portsmouth? I was plan on going down to Weymouth from London on Sunday, and getting someone to buy the ticket for me seems like the best option. (I have a few friends at Uni down that way who are coming up to London on Saturday.)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Odd question, but if the ticket was bought for me, would I have to visit Portsmouth? I was plan on going down to Weymouth from London on Sunday, and getting someone to buy the ticket for me seems like the best option. (I have a few friends at Uni down that way who are coming up to London on Saturday.)

I think you need to buy them from Portsmouth (from 3pm Friday from the vending machines), but I'm not sure if you can use them to start a journey elsewhere on the network without visiting Portsmouth on the day in question (reading the T&Cs doesn't seem to exclude buying in advance)

Hopefully someone who works for SWT will be able to say

Lrd

Established Member
As long as you are travelling away from London after the first train from Portsmouth has arrived then how can they tell?

Searle

Established Member

Yeah, they'll have no way of knowing (or caring really), so I'd say go for it

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's gone now, but it appeared to be a £5 off £10 min ticket to/from London St Pancras, book by the end of the month (didn't mention anything about when you had to travel)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It's gone now, but it appeared to be a £5 off £10 min ticket to/from London St Pancras, book by the end of the month (didn't mention anything about when you had to travel)

Must be one of their yearly promotions. I use them quite a lot normally, but this year I have all my travel needs covered in the next few months with a special ticket so won't be taking advantage. :p

Kite159

Veteran Member
I think it's the 2nd time they have emailed me a code, probably trying to get me to rebook via them (previously booked via them for a Nottingham to Grateley advance as they were cheaper than other sites)

Sadly the only times I have plans to use EMT is for a long weekend in September when I'm on a East Midland Rover, attempting to cover north of Corby

---

How interesting, Red Spotted Hanky are no longer on Quidco/Topcashback.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone knew if or when theres a East Coast Trains/Yorkshire Post reader offer due? If i remember rightly it was around this time last year.