• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Bill Badger

South West Trains are offering cashback on TopCasback again. 3% cashback on all booking, SWT priced tickets only.

Good news for me as most of my travel is in SWT land. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member

MKB

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/family-offer/

Search isn't showing than anyone has mentioned this that Virgin tweeted about on Saturday. (Apologies if that's not the case.)

It's not clear whether prices are one-way or return.

Oddly, while terms and conditions say you have to buy a ticket for at least one child, they don't actually require you to travel with said child. "No questions asked" apparently.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/family-offer/

Search isn't showing than anyone has mentioned this that Virgin tweeted about on Saturday. (Apologies if that's not the case.)

It's not clear whether prices are one-way or return.

Oddly, while terms and conditions say you have to buy a ticket for at least one child, they don't actually require you to travel with said child. "No questions asked" apparently.

Thats a good find.

If you're going for the day it's cheaper to split tickets on this offer for a few places, including Rhyl (Flint) and Preston (Wigan). Note that it is only valid arriving in London after 0930 M-F.

South West Trains will be doing their £15 adult and £7 for kids again between the 26 July and the 22nd August including weekdays as per the one they did last half term. There are some new restrictions on weekdays i.e you can't for example arrive in London Waterloo before 10am or depart London Waterloo between 4pm and 7pm. These will be on sale online at ticket offices and TVM's (You can't buy in advance from TVM until 3pm the day before you travel) from monday the 21st of July. Should be on SWT website by monday.

Last edited:

Qwerty133

Established Member
EMT have a red dot day at Derby, on the 2nd of August. Price has now risen to £17.50 for adults but still £5 for kids.
Eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/reddotday
Good to see EMT only remembering Derby/Nottingham again.

bengolding

EMT have a red dot day at Derby, on the 2nd of August. Price has now risen to £17.50 for adults but still £5 for kids.

Well at least it's not at East Midlandds Parkway for a change.

Haven't noticed any EMT promotions on their mainline recently, at least not on their website. They usually run offers at this time of year.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Well at least it's not at East Midlandds Parkway for a change.

Haven't noticed any EMT promotions on their mainline recently, at least not on their website. They usually run offers at this time of year.

EMP is halfway between Nottingham and Derby, so is ideal for people from both, suiting their idea that customers from Nottingham and Derby are the only ones who matter...
Leicester got 1 red dot day back in 09, on a weekday with peak restrictions and fully reserved trains weeks ahead...

159jim

South West Trains will be doing their £15 adult and £7 for kids again between the 26 July and the 22nd August including weekdays as per the one they did last half term. There are some new restrictions on weekdays i.e you can't for example arrive in London Waterloo before 10am or depart London Waterloo between 4pm and 7pm. These will be on sale online at ticket offices and TVM's (You can't buy in advance from TVM until 3pm the day before you travel) from monday the 21st of July. Should be on SWT website by monday.

Cheers for the Heads up mate, have seen it on the website now!
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/summer.aspx

Kite159

Veteran Member
And as usual it excluded west of Salisbury :(

Although I might make use of it on a couple trips to London I've got planned for that period.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

Grr! I'd just booked tickets down to London on 2/8 on the East Coast promo I listed above literally minutes before I saw your post!

Do EMT have a mailing list to give advance warning of their Red Dot Days?

theshillito

Ugh, I have to go to Derby station to get that offer? £17.50 for an EMT ranger's nice, but since I'd have to get a Crewe to Derby ticket as well, I may as well just get an East Midlands Day Ranger and avoid going too far south...

-------------------

Northern Rail had an offer last year where you collected tokens from newspapers and got a Northern Rail Day Ranger for £10. I'm really hoping they do that again this year, as the day I spent going Crewe-Manchester-Leeds-Carlisle-Newcastle was my favourite daft train trip (not so much the following day where I had to catch a train at 6 to get home in time, but I'll work to avoid that this time). That being said, they've been struggling with serious overcrowding lately, so they might not bother this year...

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
It's also worth noting that the EMT Red Dot Day tickets don't appear to be available for purchase on the day itself (which I'm sure they have been in the past), given a couple of quotes on the page:
"Tickets must be purchased before 2 August and can be purchased from Derby Station only."
"Just print your completed Red Dot Day Form and take it along to Derby Station by 1 August to purchase your tickets."

kinghorror

Can anyone confirm that there was a unique code for the eastcoast timeout offer? a friend sent me a link and I booked tickets through eastcoast.co.uk/timeout without reading the T&c. It looks like I had to get a voucher. Looking around, I read the voucher/email was just a link and there wasn't a code or anything, so can anyone confirm this?

IanD

Established Member
Can anyone confirm that there was a unique code for the eastcoast timeout offer? a friend sent me a link and I booked tickets through eastcoast.co.uk/timeout without reading the T&c. It looks like I had to get a voucher. Looking around, I read the voucher/email was just a link and there wasn't a code or anything, so can anyone confirm this?

The "Voucher" consisted of an allegedly unique URL for booking. Mine was http://*******/1miBEhq?3227 presumably 3227 being the code. Nothing in the T&C on the voucher to say it's once only or not transferrable although that may have been stated on original Time Out page.

Qwerty133

Established Member
It's also worth noting that the EMT Red Dot Day tickets don't appear to be available for purchase on the day itself (which I'm sure they have been in the past), given a couple of quotes on the page:
"Tickets must be purchased before 2 August and can be purchased from Derby Station only."
"Just print your completed Red Dot Day Form and take it along to Derby Station by 1 August to purchase your tickets."

I don't think they've always been available on the day, on Leicester's (2009) red dot day I'm pretty sure that they weren't. Even if they were you wouldn't have got anywhere decent before 6PM as trains were fully reserved way in advance.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
The "Voucher" consisted of an allegedly unique URL for booking. Mine was http://*******/1miBEhq?3227 presumably 3227 being the code. Nothing in the T&C on the voucher to say it's once only or not transferrable although that may have been stated on original Time Out page.

Yes, same for me, except my voucher code was http://*******/1miBEhq?4465 which does suggest the voucher codes may have been unique.

kinghorror

Thanks, was the link actually printed on the email itself or was it a hyperlink? Like if it just said "click here"?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Regarding the SWT £15 summer offer, is it possible to travel from Reading to say Portsmouth via Ascot (so SWT only)?

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
So where can you go from Reading using the £15 deal?

Seems it breaks the Terms & Conditions of the offer if it excludes a bulk of SWT stations just because the usual routing is using a service provided by FGW/XC which isn't covered by the T&Cs on display

So where can you go from Reading using the £15 deal?

Seems it breaks the Terms & Conditions of the offer if it excludes a bulk of SWT stations just because the usual routing is using a service provided by FGW/XC which isn't covered by the T&Cs on display
You could go to London Waterloo. The thing is with Reading you only have one SWT and thats to Waterloo, You could for example got to Weymouth buying a £6 day return from Reading to Basingstoke the a £15 bay return from Basingstoke to Weymouth making a saving of £25.50,

Kite159

Veteran Member
I think I have found a way, going from Ascot seems to bring up the £15 fares to Pompey (hoping to get the 456s on the Ascot - Guildford line & redo the Pompey direct line)

Quite a few passengers today with the £15 tickets, I bet the biggest uptake will be the London - Weymouth/Poole/Portsmouth sales, a cheapish getaway to the seaside when the weather is nice