• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Bill Badger

The reason given for the extra restrictions to travel past Bournemouth this year are because of engineering work taking place along the line.

But the works west of Bournemouth are only for the 1st 2 weekends of the 6 that the promotion is running. :roll:

Ah well that £60 in lost revenue for SWT as this is just the type of leisure journey I would do for £15 but not for £50.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
Had an email offering £10 off an F&F railcard.

"Simply buy online and enter the promotional code HALFTERM10. "

Offer valid until the 22nd February 2015.

159jim

Any news about the SWT 15 pound deal? As even though its not starting til the 24th, my mate overheard an SWT guard saying on a London-Exeter train that they're doing it for half term.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Any news about the SWT 15 pound deal? As even though its not starting til the 24th, my mate overheard an SWT guard saying on a London-Exeter train that they're doing it for half term.

From a poster at Woking, 24th Feb to 4th April. Tuesday to Saturday, £15 adult return, £7 kid return.

Www.southwesttrains.co.UK/fanfare

So misses half term week and Easter, depending when kids are off.

dgl

Established Member
Yep all live now, was looking forward to going to London for £15, but alas not available for stations west of Bournemouth (which is quite a few stations) so for the 3 of us bumps the price from £45 to approx. £75 (with a separate ticket from Bournemouth to Weymouth). I understand about the engineering work but to exclude all stations west of Bournemouth (even unaffected stations (anything east of wareham inclusive)) seems silly esp. when the engineering work appears to only last for 2 weeks of the offer.

SWT if you are reading this you better get those conditions changed pretty sharpish to prevent a social media backlash.

lj9090

I'm not convinced West of Bournemouth is restricted for engineering work. This time last year every weekend had Southampton closed and busstituted yet the offer still ran.
In my experience the take up on these offers is rather good, perhaps too good. Been on a few trains full at Bournemouth & full and standing from Brockenhurst - though admittedly more so in the summer than the winter. It seems to me they've been tweaking the price & validity over the years to find a point that works without filling their trains to the point of passenger discomfort and staff not being able to carry out their duties.
I'd imagine the offer is targeted at infrequent travellers to encourage them to take the train when they wouldn't otherwise, and a packed uncomfortable journey is not an experience many of them would choose to repeat.

I guess be thankful the offer exists at all. £75 for 3 to London is still cheaper than it would normally be.

alastair

No railcard discounts are available. Travel won't be restricted to the booked train, the tickets will take the restrictions of the First Class Off-Peak Day Return. (Not Valid arriving Waterloo before 1000, or departing between 1600 and 1900.) The reason given for the extra restrictions to travel past Bournemouth this year are because of engineering work taking place along the line.

Some more details here:

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/fanfare.aspx

boyaloud

I'm wondering if the Chiltern 50p return to Birmingham from London offer will be back anytime soon? It's always this time of year normally. Anyone have any info?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm wondering if the Chiltern 50p return to Birmingham from London offer will be back anytime soon? It's always this time of year normally. Anyone have any info?

They'll probably want Harbury sorted out first :)

But then they will want to fill their trains again, so some sort of promotion is highly likely.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Apparently the Northern Rail £10 flat fare offer is back from 24 January till 15 March. Nothing official confirmed as yet but a mate of mine mentioned it was in the Yorkshire Evening Post and this post on a cycling forum appears to confirm it.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93194

Just a reminder that this weekend is the last chance to take advantage of the Northern Rail £10 day ranger (or £17 for the weekend). I know that the last time they ran this offer they extended it by a week but I haven't seen anything about that this time.

Just incase anyone is intrested the SWT £15 offer is now available to buy on the day of travel.

postye

Just incase anyone is intrested the SWT £15 offer is now available to buy on the day of travel.

I was thinking about doing a couple of trips on these, but this time they have barred BOJ so its better to pay an extra £5-6 using a goldcard for journeys into SWT land so I don't think I'll bother with fanfare and look to do something else instead

Kite159

Veteran Member

Poor uptake?
So going back to what it was last year when it was available to buy on the day, although the lack of being available on a Sunday (although with the works today around Woking meaning diversions via Epson for Weymouth bound services).

tony_mac

Established Member

Grizzly

Regarding the current special offer for 50% extra converting Nectar points to vouchers for VTEC, these are stated to only be valid for purchasing VTEC Advance tickets. Does anyone know whether this includes VTEC+Connections Advances?

dvboy

Established Member
There is currently 20% off Virgin (West Coast) Advance tickets for Funding Circle customers (either investors or borrowers).
https://www.fundingcircle.com/blog/partners/20-off-virgin-train-travel-for-funding-circle-customers/
For investors, the minimum amount is £20 (by bank transfer, £100 by debit card), which I think can even be spread across many borrowers to reduce the risk. Loan repayments are not guaranteed, don't invest money that you can't afford to lose, blah blah blah.

There's really nothing there to stop a non-customer using this promotion, is there? Also, it doesn't just appear to be advance tickets as I've just booked a First Anytime Day Single using the discount.

Last edited:

The SWT £15 fare has been extended until 17th of April and from the 3rd of April will be valid west of Bournemouth and also available Sundays and mondays from the 3rd

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Regarding the current special offer for 50% extra converting Nectar points to vouchers for VTEC, these are stated to only be valid for purchasing VTEC Advance tickets. Does anyone know whether this includes VTEC+Connections Advances?
Yes it will.

Kite159

Veteran Member
There's really nothing there to stop a non-customer using this promotion, is there? Also, it doesn't just appear to be advance tickets as I've just booked a First Anytime Day Single using the discount.

Useful, might save me a couple quid come whenever Virgin release advances for the 27th June. Agreed, nothing really there to stop non-customers making use of the code,