• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Re the Northern £10 offer with Reach plc, do you have to go to a Northern booking office or can any National Rail booking office issue the tickets?

According to the Northern website, it seems that it would only be those stations that Northern serve.

When I have done this promotional offer previously, I have got the ticket from Lancaster, Preston, and Sheffield without any problems. It is noted that I have not attempted to try Glasgow Central or Queen Street at all, being as this is not an all year round permanent fare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

37201xoIM

The LNER website has this in their FAQs:

Or if you have a Unidays code, I think that you have to first log into the Unidays site and then find a link from within the site to the LNER promotional offer.
Yes, thanks, Romilly - I'd found that but it didn't help. Eventually managed to get through on the phone, and they told me that they actually have a separate URL for this promotion, which after some scratching around I was ultimately able to locate - strikes me as a bit bonkers: why on earth not just have a field to enter a discount code?! 'Sake...!

Rail Ranger

According to the Northern website, it seems that it would only be those stations that Northern serve.

When I have done this promotional offer previously, I have got the ticket from Lancaster, Preston, and Sheffield without any problems. It is noted that I have not attempted to try Glasgow Central or Queen Street at all, being as this is not an all year round permanent fare.
Thanks. So Piccadilly should be OK.

Established Member

I bought one from Aviemore once!

Romilly

Established Member
Yes, thanks, Romilly - I'd found that but it didn't help. Eventually managed to get through on the phone, and they told me that they actually have a separate URL for this promotion, which after some scratching around I was ultimately able to locate - strikes me as a bit bonkers: why on earth not just have a field to enter a discount code?! 'Sake...!

Sorry - I should have thought of that, as now I think about it I have taken advantage in the past of VTEC/LNER special offers which had to be accessed via a modified booking page tailored to the particular offer.

Silver Cobra

Anyone who is planning to travel on c2c off-peak on weekdays or at weekends, if you book your tickets directly through c2c's website, you can save up to a third on these tickets:

https://www.c2c-online.co.uk/tickets-and-fares/off-peak-discounts/online-advance-discount/

So for example, a Barking to Southend Central off-peak day return normally costs £14.90, but with this discount is only £9.80. Railcard discounts can also be applied, so using for example a Senior Railcard, this brings the fare down to £6.50.

The tickets must be booked at least 3 days in advance, and the discount only applies for journeys between stations on c2c's network.

Last edited:

cjp

Anyone who is planning to travel on c2c off-peak on weekdays or at weekends, if you book your tickets directly through c2c's website, you can save up to a third on these tickets:

https://www.c2c-online.co.uk/tickets-and-fares/off-peak-discounts/online-advance-discount/

So for example, a Barking to Southend Central off-peak day return normally costs £14.90, but with this discount is only £9.80. Railcard discounts can also be applied, so using for example a Senior Railcard, this brings the fare down to £6.50.

The tickets must be booked at least 3 days in advance, and the discount only applies for journeys between stations on c2c's network.

I made a test booking earlier today (did not complete it) and there was a further discount on the discounted first class railcard price from Glasgow to Euston so it appears not to be limited to c2c network - or a at least at present.:D:D

BigCj34

Looks like cash back offers have heated up again on Topcashback. Omio is offering 12% on all bookings, which includes UK rail, and for those wanting to use a traditional TOC site, Chiltern are offering 5%. Both appear to have 6 days left, after I don't know if they switch to Quidco or will go permanently.

EDIT: Specified it's Topcashback.

Last edited:

glenbogle

Looks like cash back offers have heated up again. Omio is offering 12% on all bookings, which includes UK rail, and for those wanting to use a traditional TOC site, Chiltern are offering 5%. Both appear to have 6 days left, after I don't know if they switch to Quidco or what.

Omio 5%
Chiltern 3.5%

Quidco.

route:oxford

Established Member
I've got the usual ongoing 3% off all fares at Trainline with Amex.

I know that Scotrail process all their on-line purchases via Trainline. Are these presented through the merchanting systems as Trainline sales or Scotrail sales?

I'd just rather have the e-ticket on my Scotrail smartcard than paper tickets.

Chrism20

Established Member
I've got the usual ongoing 3% off all fares at Trainline with Amex.

I know that Scotrail process all their on-line purchases via Trainline. Are these presented through the merchanting systems as Trainline sales or Scotrail sales?

I'd just rather have the e-ticket on my Scotrail smartcard than paper tickets.

I used the Scotrail website on Friday and the pending txn with the bank is showing as Scotrail

D6700

Chiltern cashback now up to 5% with Quidco (updated 18 March). It says "For all ticket purchases".

BlueFox

Check your emails...

Virgin have been sending out discount codes today. So far I've had two for 20% off, and one for 40% off, sent to different addresses.
They need to be used by midnight Friday, for travel up to 6th May.

Iskra

Established Member
I've got a 40% one of those :) May not be able to use it so if anyone wants my code feel free to message me.

[code now taken]

Last edited:

Rail Ranger

TransPennine Express Club 55 offer from 23rd April to 4th June
This is the advertising blurb:
If you're aged 55 or over, land yourself return tickets in the North from £22 and Scotland from £32 between 23rd April and 4th June 2019. Plus get an extra 20% off with a Senior, Disabled or Two Together railcard (providing travellers are aged 55 or over) and even nab yourself free Nectar points.
https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/special-offers/club-55
(My comment) Tickets must be bought in advance. Unlike in previous offers they cannot be bought on the day. Travel is after 09.30 on Monday to Friday, any time at weekends. Travel is not allowed to or from Manchester Airport.

autotank

Chiltern now seems to be 3.5% on Quidco. How much joy are people having with this though? It never seems to track for me and I end up having to put a manual claim in. Am I right in thinking I should be getting cashback even for tickets which don't involve travel on a Chiltern train?

BigCj34

Think Chiltern tracked when I used it. Looks like Omio gives the best cash back at the moment, 10% at the moment with Quidco and at other times is 5%.

bubieyehyeh

All but one of my chiltern purchases have tracked on topcashback, some have been paid. The one purchase on quidco also tracked. None on Chiltern services. The only one that didn't said the card details didn't work, but it still send me a collection reference, but did in fact charge my credit card. So suspect a manual claim will suceed on that one.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Does anyone know when the next Northern £10 day ticket offer will be?

Last year the tokens were in newspapers from 7th May, and the information was on their website in mid April. Their site is still showing the info for the previous offer.

trevmonk

I've been using Omio, and it's previous incarnation GoEuro, for a while and have managed to got cashback on Quidco and Topcashback at rates between 5% and 15% but often need to chase up purchases that don't track. Yesterday I noticed 10 that had failed to register over the last few weeks. Also the current rate, advertised as 10% on Quidco, only appeared as 5% yesterday on the tracking details which will need another enquiry submitting. There is also the negative aspect that you are buying UK tickets on a trans European site which means the auto complete function shows up lots of non UK stations and it is sometimes difficult to find some tickets, like outboundary Travelcards. But if they are paying 15% I can take that!

Lytham Local

Does anyone know when the next Northern £10 day ticket offer will be?

Last year the tokens were in newspapers from 7th May, and the information was on their website in mid April. Their site is still showing the info for the previous offer.

Updated this morning - https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/jpimedia

Three tokens allow you to buy up to 4 Northern only Day Ranger tickets or Weekend Rover tickets which must all be used on the same day or weekend (depending on the ticket chosen). Travel is available between Monday 6 May - Sunday 14 July 2019.

Tokens will be published in papers w/c 6/5

BlueFox

Updated this morning - https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/jpimedia

Three tokens allow you to buy up to 4 Northern only Day Ranger tickets or Weekend Rover tickets which must all be used on the same day or weekend (depending on the ticket chosen). Travel is available between Monday 6 May - Sunday 14 July 2019.

Tokens will be published in papers w/c 6/5
Thanks.

This is the link for the Reach plc papers. Still only two tokens needed for these.
https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/reachplc