• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
Is Train Pal or anyone else offering any discount codes at the moment? As I get any Glasgow to Oban advances I'm going to have to buy a £26/£29 SVR/SOR so might as well try to get the price down a bit.

Adsy125

Is Train Pal or anyone else offering any discount codes at the moment? As I get any Glasgow to Oban advances I'm going to have to buy a £26/£29 SVR/SOR so might as well try to get the price down a bit.
Geoff Marshal was sponsored by them here
and with code Geoff you get £5 off anything over £15

skifans

Northern offering 50% off advance fares to & from stations in Cumbria and the Lakes - can be used as well as a railcard, very nice!

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/north50

No list of exactly what stations - the page reads "This offer is valid from to/from stations in the Lakes and Cumbria where Advance Purchase fares are currently available. This includes stations such as Windermere, Silverdale and Kendal, and big cities such as Manchester and Liverpool." You can use https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/tickets/29-advance to get some ideas though

Last edited:

aelius

Northern offering 50% off advance fares to & from stations in Cumbria and the Lakes - can be used as well as a railcard, very nice!

Bit miffed. Just bought a ticket covered by the promotion, not knowing about it. The Northern App did not automatically apply the discount. You’ve got to enter the promotional code, if you know it.

The promotion is probably a response to the timetable crisis last year but seems to be designed to not encourage its use.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Bit miffed. Just bought a ticket covered by the promotion, not knowing about it. The Northern App did not automatically apply the discount. You’ve got to enter the promotional code, if you know it.

The promotion is probably a response to the timetable crisis last year but seems to be designed to not encourage its use.
The non-automatic application of the promotion means that it's not blindly aimed at reducing revenue from everyone. It's quite intentional, really - if you are the kind of potential passenger who is swayed by the cost of the ticket, getting 50% off is highly likely to make you make the purchase (and thus get into the "rail habit").

But clearly you were willing to pay the price without the promotional discount so whilst it may be frustrating thinking about the theoretical lesser amount you could have paid, I always wonder why people are so bothered, if they were happy to part with their money without the discount!

Karl

On Moderation

I just buy a £10 Northern Only Day Ranger. It gives you unlimited rail travel for the whole day on Northern services. It's a bargain.

pnjman

Chiltern are back up to 5% cashback with Quidco (for now).

However, their website has become extremely flaky - beyond it's general slowness. I've had numerous error messages at various stages in the booking process, saying there's a problem with the site or with my card, then taking me back to the start of the booking process.

A couple of purchase attempts resulted in card payment being taken, but no booking visible on the site and no email or booking reference receieved, meaning I had to chase it up with their web support team for refund. I only discovered this issue when checking my bank account.

This has just happened to me using the Chiltern site. Journey A and journey B on one order, a booking reference for journey B on the email but for journey A the space is just blank, money for both gone out of my account.

I went to the ticket office at Moor Street to sort it out and they didn't want to know. I guess I'm going to have to buy new tickets and chase Chiltern for a refund for journey A?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I went to the ticket office at Moor Street to sort it out and they didn't want to know. I guess I'm going to have to buy new tickets and chase Chiltern for a refund for journey A?
Unfortunately this is the way of the world nowadays. Ticket office staff consider online bookings to be by an entirely separate retailer for all intents and purposes and don't even always help you by pointing you in the right direction.

It is possible, with most card issuers, to process a partial chargeback if you don't get anywhere with Chiltern's CS.

pnjman

Unfortunately this is the way of the world nowadays. Ticket office staff consider online bookings to be by an entirely separate retailer for all intents and purposes and don't even always help you by pointing you in the right direction.

It is possible, with most card issuers, to process a partial chargeback if you don't get anywhere with Chiltern's CS.

I've just repurchased journey A, and the collection reference was blank again in the email! Luckily I took a screenshot of the confirmation of payment screen which included it.

Now looking at my account both journey A's are showing up in my booking history even though the first wasn't there earlier. The Chiltern website is such a mess. I hope I get a refund even though these are advance tickets.

BigCj34

Trainpal Summer Sale: Get many random free discounts on the app!

Quite handy but can't make multiple journeys to reach over the £20 threshold for one of the discounts which gives £5 off. It will apply the code if you use the app's internal split ticket function or make a return journey with two singles. Anyway, any additional discount to the initial ticket price is good in my eyes.

Steveoh

East Midlands Trains offering a family ticket this summer. I had a look at there's good availability.

https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/tickets-deals/ticket-types/Family-Ticket/

Introducing our new Family Ticket offer!
With our limited time offer, you can get a return ticket to London St Pancras for up to two adults and four children at a fixed price of just £80, making family fun easy on you and your pocket.

Family%20Ticket%20Saving.png

In addition to the huge savings available on your travel costs, you can also get 2 for 1 entry on lots of London attractions when you go by train, including the Sea Life Centre, London Dungeons and the London Eye. You’re sure to have a great day out! The family ticket deal is only available on weekdays, for travel between 22nd July to 6th September.

The Family Ticket covers;

Minimum: One adult and one child
Maximum: Two adults and four children

Children are classed as 5 - 15 years of age. Children under 5 years old travel free and are not covered by the family ticket.

To book, simply use the journey planner at the top of the page.

Where can I travel from?
Travel is valid to/from London St Pancras, to/from any of the following stations; Sheffield, Chesterfield, Derby, Nottingham, Long Eaton, East Midlands Parkway, Loughborough, Leicester, Market Harborough, Corby, Kettering, Wellingborough, Beeston, Long Eaton, Matlock, Matlock Bath, Cromford, Whatstandwell, Ambergate, Belper, Alfreton and Duffield only.

When can I book?
You can book between 17th June - 5th September, for weekday travel dates between 22nd July - 6th September. You can book up until 23:59 of the day before you travel. Tickets are subject to availability.

How do I book?
Search for your desired journey using the booking bar at the top of this page. You must be travelling on a weekday between the 22nd July - 6th September.

Why can't I find a Family Ticket in the booking system?
These tickets are limited and subject to availability. However, please check the following:

• You have the right amount of people travelling;
    Minimum: One adult and one child
    Maximum: Two adults and four children
  • You are travelling there and back on a weekday. Return travel must be within a month.
  • You have London St Pancras as either your origin or destination station.You are travelling from/to one of our valid stations.
Can I reserve a seat?
Seat reservations are compulsory in both directions. This also means you must travel on the train you booked.

Can I use my railcard discount?
Unfortunately, railcard discounts will not be valid alongside this promotion.

*Saving based on the mimimum saving available on our network for the price of 2 adults and 2 children traveling in standard class.

MountVrmac

I've just gone though our pile of old papers and only found 2 of the Northern Rail / JPIMedia Day Ranger vouchers for 2019, and obviously have no chance of getting any more. So if anybody else can use one, or both, of these in the next three and a half weeks, then they're free to a good home.
It'll help to get them to you quickly if you are based in or near to Leeds!

route:oxford

Established Member
The LoCO2 offer of 20% cashback (if your employer benefits package is powered by NextJump) on all fares has been slashed to 10%.

A real disappointment. But it couldn't last forever.

BigCj34

The LoCO2 offer of 20% cashback (if your employer benefits package is powered by NextJump) on all fares has been slashed to 10%.

A real disappointment. But it couldn't last forever.
Omio still offering 12% cash back through Quidco. Sometimes 10% off vouchers can be found through Omio, though stacking the two is against the T's and C's and may not work. In any case the cash back deal won't last so get it while you can!

D.K.TAYLOR

I just buy a £10 Northern Only Day Ranger. It gives you unlimited rail travel for the whole day on Northern services. It's a bargain.
Is this in conjunction with Johnsons newspaper or have Northern a £10 northern only ticket available without any tokens required cheers

Karl

On Moderation
Is this in conjunction with Johnsons newspaper or have Northern a £10 northern only ticket available without any tokens required cheers

Yes, it's the newspaper offer. You'll need 2 or 3 tokens and a printed form you need to fill in. The tokens are no longer available in the newspapers and the offer ends on the 14th July. Hopefully Northern will repeat the offer in September like they have done for the last few years.

far

Is the train Pal GBP5.00 off offer (or something similar still going)?

It was as of Thursday. I used it the other day with the code MAKER, though that was with a new account. There also seem to be vouchers being added to new accounts soon after purchasing a ticket too.

LeylandLen

Yes, it's the newspaper offer. You'll need 2 or 3 tokens and a printed form you need to fill in. The tokens are no longer available in the newspapers and the offer ends on the 14th July. Hopefully Northern will repeat the offer in September like they have done for the last few years.

I can well understand the need to sell local newspapers ; having a promotion where you collect prited vouchers/tokens for varios offers , from discounts on confectionary to rail travel as with Northern, but I would like to see Northern selling 'Northern only ' day ranger tickets without the need for vouchers/tokens , even at more than £10 with the offer.Maybe at , say, £15 ? They could have east or west area tickets, given the area they cover.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think such a ticket, if available on a permanent basis, would be more likely to cost around £40-£50 rather than £15. Maybe £30 for east or west only.

LeylandLen

I think such a ticket, if available on a permanent basis, would be more likely to cost around £40-£50 rather than £15. Maybe £30 for east or west only.

I was comparing the 'west' one with Lancs Day Ranger, obviously with other TOCS like TPE ,,Virgin, TFW and Senior ( and other )Railcard discount , £16.15

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If anybody wants a code for 20% off CrossCountry trips in July only, send me a PM. Good for two separate transactions, stacks with railcards. Needs to be used by tomorrow.