• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nedchester

Established Member
Oh my! Thanks @nedchester I wasn't aware of that offer. I'll certainly be making use of that between the Northern £10 newspaper offers. Cheers!

It’s not very well advertised.

In fact a friend of mine went to buy one at Crewe last Thursday and they’d not heard of it but we’re happy to issue once he’d shown them the details on his phone.

Don’t know why they don’t do an “East” version or an All Northern version?

LeylandLen

It’s not very well advertised.

In fact a friend of mine went to buy one at Crewe last Thursday and they’d not heard of it but we’re happy to issue once he’d shown them the details on his phoner.

Don’t know why they don’t do an “East” version or an All Northern version?

Ive never been too impressed with Northerns overall marketing/advertising . Id like an all Northern at a reasonable price, £20 with senior railcard?
Cant understand why they chose age 55 and over for that offer, I welcome it of course .Not keeen on the 'not before 0930 weekdays ' restriction as others have 0845 or 0900 restriction.Much of Northern network is rural away from conurbations.Id much prefer going Preston to Lakes/coast after 0845 rather than 0930. That 45 mins can make a big difference to your day if over 55 or 65 given us oldies take our time usually !

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Ive never been too impressed with Northerns overall marketing/advertising . Id like an all Northern at a reasonable price, £20 with senior railcard?
Cant understand why they chose age 55 and over for that offer, I welcome it of course .Not keeen on the 'not before 0930 weekdays ' restriction as others have 0845 or 0900 restriction.Much of Northern network is rural away from conurbations.Id much prefer going Preston to Lakes/coast after 0845 rather than 0930. That 45 mins can make a big difference to your day if over 55 or 65 given us oldies take our time usually !

Presumably they're hoping that anyone who thinks that'll make a big difference to their day will buy a more expensive ticket.

skyward

Hello, everyone. I'm looking to purchase a Two Together Railcard with a promo code. I recall there used to be a specific URL on station posters where they give a promo code for a further 3 quid off. The offer seems to have long expired and never renewed since 2016.

https://www.railcard.co.uk/poster/

Any other active codes out there would be very much appreciated!

BlueFox

Hello, everyone. I'm looking to purchase a Two Together Railcard with a promo code. I recall there used to be a specific URL on station posters where they give a promo code for a further 3 quid off. The offer seems to have long expired and never renewed since 2016.

If you have Tesco Clubcard points, you can swap them for three times the value to spend on railcards. So you'd just need £10 worth of points to buy the railcard.
https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/search-results/railcard?search=railcard

gazthomas

Established Member

A quick Google and I found this code: MYTTR10

It is valid as I just tried it at the "Two Together" website

glyn

Recently I traveled Letchworth to Birmingham via London to Bir Moor St for £15! I thought this good value so thought I would go back there but I cant find fares at this price again! Why?

BlueFox

Recently I traveled Letchworth to Birmingham via London to Bir Moor St for £15! I thought this good value so thought I would go back there but I cant find fares at this price again! Why?

As it's a slower route, try putting via Banbury into the journey planner. The normal journey planners just show the faster trains.
I can see plenty of tickets for less than £15

When are you planning to travel?
As the tickets at that price are Advances, you need to book ahead, and there's only a limited number. I can see a ticket for £15.90 at 11:59 tomorrow. A lot more availability of cheaper tickets when you look a few weeks ahead.

extendedpaul

I specify travel via Solihull to get a Chiltern-set fare to Birmingham Moor Street via Marylebone, which is usually significantly lower than using Virgin from Euston. Chiltern advances are good value and the journey time isn't that much longer.

Banbury or High Wycombe as via points should achieve a similar result.

gray1404

Established Member
QUESTION ABOUT TRAIN PAL £5 OFF?

Can someone help me with the TrainPal £5 off deal. I notice there are some codes floting around and you can also get one for refering a friend.

1. Do you have to spend £15 or £20 to get £5 off?
2. Can this be through different tickets in the same transaction?
3. If not, will it accept 2 advance singles (one in each direction to make up a return journey ) and apply the £5 discount.

Thanks

Last edited:

far

QUESTION ABOUT TRAIN PAL £5 OFF?

Can someone help me with the TrainPal £5 off deal. I notice there are some codes floting around and you can also get one for refering a friend.

1. Do you have to spend £15 or £20 to get £5 off?
2. Can this be through different tickets in the same transaction?
3. If not, will it accept 2 advance singles (one in each direction to make up a return journey ) and apply the £5 discount.

Thanks

1. I notice that, as of yesterday, they offer new users a voucher for £5 off a £20 spend

2 and 3. I've not managed to get it to work with separate tickets or journeys yet, having used the app several times. There might be a way but, unless it suggests splitting tickets, it seemed impossible to me.

gray1404

Established Member
1. I notice that, as of yesterday, they offer new users a voucher for £5 off a £20 spend

2 and 3. I've not managed to get it to work with separate tickets or journeys yet, having used the app several times. There might be a way but, unless it suggests splitting tickets, it seemed impossible to me.

So the spend for £5 off has now increased from £15 to £20, for new users. I am assuming it is also £20 for those who sign up via refer a friend...

I'm wondering if it will offer the £5 off if 2 Advance singles are selected to make up a return, rather then totally separate journeys in their own right. So in other words,entering both outward and return dates at the search stage then selecting two Advance singles - one in each direction.

( @far have you tried doing what I have suggested above already and it is still not giving you the discount?)

If anyone can test this and see if it will give £5 off there then that would be great.

gray1404

Established Member
I've just tried signing up to Train Pal and its not offering any £5 discount as a new user. Is there a way of getting this?

Is there a code needed? Thanks!

Last edited:

far

( @far have you tried doing what I have suggested above already and it is still not giving you the discount?)

I just tried it now for an advance journey to London Kings Cross. It does offer me 2 advance singles as these are the cheapest option. I must admit, until now though, I had only used it for walk on fares to get the discount with the voucher.

I've just tried signing up to Train Pal and its not offering any £5 discount as a new user. Is there a way of getting this?

Is there a code needed? Thanks!

When I tried it yesterday, it offered the £5 immediately and said it was part of a "Summer Sale". I must admit, I did not pay much attention to the end date but I had assumed it would still have a few days to go, maybe I was wrong :(

gray1404

Established Member
So it sound like it is working now if 2 advance singles are combined. It is not offering me the £5 off deal on signing up today. Perhaps I need to get hold of a code.

gray1404

Established Member
I just tried it now for an advance journey to London Kings Cross. It does offer me 2 advance singles as these are the cheapest option. I must admit, until now though, I had only used it for walk on fares to get the discount with the voucher.

When I tried it yesterday, it offered the £5 immediately and said it was part of a "Summer Sale". I must admit, I did not pay much attention to the end date but I had assumed it would still have a few days to go, maybe I was wrong :(

Still can't get train Pal to offer me the £5 discount. Have downloaded the app again and created a new account with a new email address. Also tried entering a refer a friend code but still not getting a £5 off promotion sadly :(

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Still can't get train Pal to offer me the £5 discount. Have downloaded the app again and created a new account with a new email address. Also tried entering a refer a friend code but still not getting a £5 off promotion sadly :(
Have you tried contacting Trainpal?

skyward

A quick Google and I found this code: MYTTR10

It is valid as I just tried it at the "Two Together" website

Thanks, I know it’s been awhile but unfortunately when I tried it yesterday it says code isn’t not active.

If there’s any other active code I’d be most grateful!

Cheers.

BlueFox

Nectar are currently giving double the value when you exchange your points for vouchers to spend on LNER. Not sure if this is for selected customers of for everyone.

From the Nectar website:

How to get this offer
  1. Click 'Get voucher code'
  2. Spend your points on a voucher between 25 July - 14 August 2019 and LNER will give you double the value
  3. Travel further for less with LNER Advance ticket
Terms and Conditions
1. LNER Vouchers are only valid against LNER Advance tickets purchased at lner.co.uk. 2. The Vouchers are valid for at least 12 months from the date you spend your Nectar points. 3. The Voucher codes are case sensitive. Capital letters must be used. 4. We recommend copying and pasting the Voucher code directly into the Voucher box. 5. You will need an LNER account to store your Vouchers. 6. Any unspent value on your Voucher will be stored in your LNER account until you spend it. 7. Any unspent amount will expire after 12 months. If you have not spent it by then it will be removed from your account. 8. Full details of spending LNER Vouchers can be found in the LNER terms and conditions. 9. Usual Nectar and LNER terms and conditions apply. 10. Voucher value will only be worth double from 25/07/2019 until 14/08/2019.

I13

It's a shame you can only redeem Nectar on LNER advances, with VTEC you used to be able to spend them on any GB rail travel.

BlueFox

It's a shame you can only redeem Nectar on LNER advances, with VTEC you used to be able to spend them on any GB rail travel.
With VTEC your were only supposed to use them on VTEC advances. But there was a loophole that allowed you to buy other tickets at the same time.

I13

With VTEC your were only supposed to use them on VTEC advances. But there was a loophole that allowed you to buy other tickets at the same time.

I didn't even have to buy a ticket for a journey involving VTEC at all..

jtuk

Northern offering 50% off advance fares to & from stations in Cumbria and the Lakes - can be used as well as a railcard, very nice!

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/north50

No list of exactly what stations - the page reads "This offer is valid from to/from stations in the Lakes and Cumbria where Advance Purchase fares are currently available. This includes stations such as Windermere, Silverdale and Kendal, and big cities such as Manchester and Liverpool." You can use https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/tickets/29-advance to get some ideas though

As I'm waiting to head to Barrow on one of these bought when the offer was on, this is slightly irritating

skifans

As I'm waiting to head to Barrow on one of these bought when the offer was on, this is slightly irritating
Definitely wasn't very well advertised. Although to play devils advocate and from Northerns perspective, presumably you where happy enough with the price to buy, why give you half off? Maybe if some was more marginal about the price they would have searched and found the offer, the same logic behind alot of discount codes online. I only heard about it as they did have large banners at some of the stations on the route (don't know of they are still there) - never saw it promoted online once.

westv

Established Member
Over time the benefits of buying on the main ECML operator's website have got less and less.

jtuk

Definitely wasn't very well advertised. Although to play devils advocate and from Northerns perspective, presumably you where happy enough with the price to buy, why give you half off? Maybe if some was more marginal about the price they would have searched and found the offer, the same logic behind alot of discount codes online. I only heard about it as they did have large banners at some of the stations on the route (don't know of they are still there) - never saw it promoted online once.

I just shoved my itinerary into Trainsplit and went from there. Needless to say if I was doing the journey the other way around and lived near my destination, I'd have seen Northern spamming the offer on basically every station north of Lancaster

westv

Established Member
I received a 30% off email from LNER after Thursday's problems. Only one journey though.