• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
Loco2 are doing £5 off tickets of £10 or more with a referral code.

If anyone needs one I'm happy to give you one if you PM me.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I think you can buy a Standard Class ticket and bid online for a free upgrade to 1st Class. Don’t know how it works though.

If it's anything like on LNER it's not available on most services and when you put in your booking code, if it's not available the message sounds like you've mistyped the code.

E759

If it's anything like on LNER it's not available on most services and when you put in your booking code, if it's not available the message sounds like you've mistyped the code.
1/ Booking codes are no longer required; enter your retailer (can be Other - so TrainSplit covered), date, origin and destination then select your train. This eliminates the issue you describe. I did post this is the seatfrog thread just after your previous post on the same issue: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/vtec-and-seatfrog.164537/
2/ Just searched for LNER upgrades today and I see plenty, plenty, plenty.
3/ My own experience is really, really good. Had loads of upgrades from LNER and VTWC. Not tried with GWR yet and am unlikely to!
4/ For those of us without priv tickets or railcards covering LNER/VTEC/GWR it can be a really good deal. I'm mystified by the negativity on this forum for this app!
5/ The best thing for people to do is download the app and try it for themselves. You don't need a booking ref or ticket to try the app. Use the website to read the fine detail; e.g. use of first class lounges is granted but the statement is squirrelled away on the website and not mentioned in the app.

bspahh

Established Member
1/ Booking codes are no longer required; enter your retailer (can be Other - so TrainSplit covered), date, origin and destination then select your train. This eliminates the issue you describe. I did post this is the seatfrog thread just after your previous post on the same issue: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/vtec-and-seatfrog.164537/
3/ My own experience is really, really good. Had loads of upgrades from LNER and VTWC. Not tried with GWR yet and am unlikely to!
4/ For those of us without priv tickets or railcards covering LNER/VTEC/GWR it can be a really good deal. I'm mystified by the negativity on this forum for this app!
5/ The best thing for people to do is download the app and try it for themselves. You don't need a booking ref or ticket to try the app. Use the website to read the fine detail; e.g. use of first class lounges is granted but the statement is squirrelled away on the website and not mentioned in the app.

How much have you paid for an upgrade? Have you had any bids that have not won?

E759

How much have you paid for an upgrade? Have you had any bids that have not won?
I normally only bid in the region £10-15 and sometimes up to £19. For Kings Cross/Euston to Edinburgh/Glasgow I go up higher assuming I'm on a good Advance. It does really depend on my bank balance at the time!

I won't bid if the reserve price is too high for my wallet. I have lost bids; never feel tempted to raise your bid above your previously decided maximum! I don't let that bother me as there are always other opportunities around the corner. I now only bid in the last 120 seconds of an auction and never place a reserve bid.

ashkeba

Established Member
It's an app? Eats battery, uses data willy nilly, snoops on you, can't be inspected and ultimately does nothing that wouldn't be better as a website.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Perhaps it's improved. However after several attempts, I gave up on it.

Tbf I'm making fewer journeys to London at the moment, but with a higher proportion booked on 1st advances anyway.

skifans

If anyone has any French trips in the works oui.sncf have a €20 off code valid for bookings until 1500 today (unsure if French or UK time) for first 200 reservation. Minimum order €90 travel until October 14th. It's of no use to me but happy to send it to someone if you will (single use).

bspahh

Established Member
Perhaps account specific - I'm not getting any discount showing if I search for tickets in that period.

It works for me. The advances have "discounted" and a little icon of a piggy bank below them.

This is for an advance ticket from PBO to EDB on September 30th at 10.18. Its £31.20 with the discount at LNER or £44.50 on thetrainline.com

Some other advance tickets don't show the discount for me.

E759

The little piggies only appear when signed in with an account. Given the wisdom given by so many on the forum not to create TOC accounts I couldn't possibly suggest creating an account and seeing if the little piggy appears for you ;) ;-} ;) If you do decide to risk life and limb and create an account do be warned that LNER will send you offers like these. So fare warning!

YorkC

It works for me. The advances have "discounted" and a little icon of a piggy bank below them.

This is for an advance ticket from PBO to EDB on September 30th at 10.18. Its £31.20 with the discount at LNER or £44.50 on thetrainline.com

Some other advance tickets don't show the discount for me.

Strange - I'm logged in and it's not showing that for me for that or any other journey as far as I can see. I usually get marketing emails from them too & received nothing.

E759

I've just looked at Kings Cross to York 26/9 returning 27/9 and still see the piggies.

bspahh

Established Member
Strange - I'm logged in and it's not showing that for me for that or any other journey as far as I can see. I usually get marketing emails from them too & received nothing.

If I am not logged in, then for the 10.18 PBO to EDB on September 30th the price is £44.50
If I log into my LNER account then it drops to £31.20. I don't get marketing emails from them.
upload_2019-8-30_17-57-19.png

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
I have had the 30% off e-mail and I note it is only valid for "one transaction"

Does that mean if you book 3 or 4 trips at the same time they will all qualify for the discount , but you can only use the code once (at one sitting as it were)

trainophile

Established Member
Friends of mine from Newcastle just had a great day out in Carlisle for 80p. They say many thanks for tipping them off, and hope I will pass on any more bargains!

BlueFox

Club 50 in Scotland currently has a promotion with return fares at £17 between any two stations in Scotland . That's £12 cheaper than the "taff rip off" £29 fare.

There's also a £15 annual membership fee for the Scotrail club 50 though.