• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Mainline421

Omio 15% off all routes with code BLACKFRIDAY2019 max total in bakset before discount is 250€. Valid unlimited times until 6 December but may be cut before then.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mainline421

Seatfrog Unlimited £20 first class upgrades for journeys until 31 January . You can also now add flexible tickets without a booking ref so you can use tickets purchased at the station. Or it would even be possible to add a ticket you haven't purchased yet. "Offer valid on select Virgin Trains, GWR and LNER services based on availability"

gazr

Got an email from GWR wanting me to renew my season ticket (Exeter St. Davids to Exeter Central MON/TUE/WED & WKND!) on their smart card for next year. It mentioned if I do so, I will receive two free weekend returns anywhere on the GWR network. Anyone done this, and do you get issued the all important Annual Gold Card without any issues?

Network rails states, "If an Annual Travelcard is loaded on to a smartcard or Oyster card, a Gold Record Card will be issued which offers the same benefits as an Annual Gold Card."

gray1404

Established Member
What sort of daily vouchers have people been getting with Train Pal? I've only got £5 off a £25 spend.

Any smaller value ones been given out too?

trevmonk

Quido is only showing 15% off for Omio.

Also, does Omio stop charging the booking fee if you book on the day of travel?

When the cashback rates change for Omio at the beginning of the week they seem to be higher for a short while before dropping slightly (although still generous),so it might be 20% on Sunday night and then drop to 15% by Monday afternoon and stay at that rate until the end of the week.

If Quidco are offering a higher rate, (10% or more) then Topcashback will only be giving 5% for that week until they swap over at the end of the week.

Yes, if you book on the day with Omio there are no charges. In the past the booking fee seemed to be a flat 1.5%, but they seem to have a minimum of 50p now.

Nunners

TopCashBack are currently offering 20% cashback with Omio, with various smaller discounts for TPE, Chiltern etc.

gray1404

Established Member
Does Topcashback or Quidco ever offer more then 20% cashback for transactions on Omio or is this unusually high?

trevmonk

Does Topcashback or Quidco ever offer more then 20% cashback for transactions on Omio or is this unusually high?
I have seen 25% cashback being offered for Omio by Perksatwork (a staff benefits scheme that some employers sign up to). That lasted for 2 or 3 weeks and I recall a few days when Topcashback or Quidco briefly went that high too but it's usually 20% max for them now.

However, as rnentioned earlier, the Quidco / Topcashback rate seems to be inflated briefly by a few percent when the rates are adjusted on Sunday. Hence the 23% that someone spotted last Sunday which was gone by Monday.

Kite159

Veteran Member
How reliable is the tracking and cashback payments though. If there is a history of it tracking but failing to be paid because "another merchant has been paid" (or other similar reason) then they won't be the first company to rope you into buying with the promise of high cashback but that cashback failing to deliver

trevmonk

How reliable is the tracking and cashback payments though. If there is a history of it tracking but failing to be paid because "another merchant has been paid" (or other similar reason) then they won't be the first company to rope you into buying with the promise of high cashback but that cashback failing to deliver

I've been using them several times a week for some time buying journeys to work and would say 95% of purchases track and pay without problems. The others have been paid having submitted claims to Topcashback / Quidco.

The downside is their rather clunky website/app, no option to create a basket of several journeys, their inability to offer outboundary Travelcards etc. I expect part of it is the fact they are a German based operation and offering a Europe wide service rather than aiming solely at the UK market.

gray1404

Established Member
Do any other people have success stories of Omio actually paying out on cashback through Quidco and Top Cash Back?

BigCj34

Pay out is usually successful. Might be worth searching any discount codes first, as at least that's guaranteed.

glenbogle

I used Omio the other week for a £48 ticket when they were promising 23% cashback - next day got an email from Quidco that my £11 cashback had been declined. I never used any discount codes so I’ve had to submit a claim.

Loco2 had a 30% cashback with Quidco on the 15th August, I bought a lot of tickets then and got £104 credited on 4th November.

bspahh

Established Member
Today (Sunday Dec 15th), there is 20% cashback with Omio at www.topcashback.co.uk

I normally use Chrome with Adblock to browse WWW sites, but I switch to another browser when I'm booking through Quidco or Topcashback, and ~ 99% of my transactions track. For bigger transactions, I keep a note of the order ID, so its easy to chase up transactions which are incorrectly declined.

gray1404

Established Member
I've just had a highest Cashback claim rejected on Top Cash Back on the basis that the higher rate I found was also on Top Cash Back and not on a competitors site. I have never had this problem before. I booked a ticket for Monday with Omio when the rate was 15% but on the Tuesday (until end of Sunday tonight) it went up to 20%.

I still have 22 days to claim again as a highest cash back claim if I can find above 15% on Quidco so I shall keep an eye on this to see if they increase the rate.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Today (Sunday Dec 15th), there is 20% cashback with Omio at www.topcashback.co.uk

I normally use Chrome with Adblock to browse WWW sites, but I switch to another browser when I'm booking through Quidco or Topcashback, and ~ 99% of my transactions track. For bigger transactions, I keep a note of the order ID, so its easy to chase up transactions which are incorrectly declined.
On this note, there seems to be an issue with transactions not tracking on Google Chrome or Internet Explorer. I have had 3 Rail Europe and 2 Omio transactions not track. They were all been sorted quickly by a non-track claim, but still it is the principle. Edge and Firefox seem to track Topcashback okay though. However, Chiltern rarely tracks and when it does is usually declined.

Anyone else had a problem?

trevmonk

I still have 22 days to claim again as a highest cash back claim if I can find above 15% on Quidco so I shall keep an eye on this to see if they increase the rate.

But the Topcashback guarantee only applies if the higher rate, whether on Quidco or Topcashback, was available at the time of the original transaction. Unfortunately subsequent better rates don't seem to apply as specified here:

"The higher rate of cashback must be offered at the same time as you made your purchase via TopCashback."

bspahh

Established Member
On this note, there seems to be an issue with transactions not tracking on Google Chrome or Internet Explorer. I have had 3 Rail Europe and 2 Omio transactions not track. They were all been sorted quickly by a non-track claim, but still it is the principle. Edge and Firefox seem to track Topcashback okay though. However, Chiltern rarely tracks and when it does is usually declined.

Anyone else had a problem?

I usually use Internet Explorer to book stuff with Quidco (except for Omio which doesn't support IE, so I used Edge instead). I don't use an Ad blocker for this, and accept all cookies.

If you have been browsing in the same browser, before you make the Quidco/Topcashback booking, then you might have a tracking cookie set from some other WWW site, and that will mean that it gets the commission.

With Quidco, in the last year I've had tracked transactions with Omio, trainline, Chiltern Railways, Rail Europe, Trans Pennine Express and Greater Anglia.

With Topcashback (usually with Edge or Firefox), I've used Omio, Chiltern Railways, trainline, Rail Europe and Greater Anglia.

Transactions typically pay out after 4-6 months. After a year, I will usually chase them up.

I've only had 2 transactions in the last couple of years declined when it was a real transaction (from Accor hotels and Stansted parking). A couple of hundred (mostly small) transactions have worked.

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
But the Topcashback guarantee only applies if the higher rate, whether on Quidco or Topcashback, was available at the time of the original transaction. Unfortunately subsequent better rates don't seem to apply as specified here:

"The higher rate of cashback must be offered at the same time as you made your purchase via TopCashback."

Thank you for clarifying that. Well, at least I got 15% cashback tracked so can't complain.

Butts

Veteran Member
No LNER Sale ? - always used to be one in December in Virgin/East Coast days .

What about Avanti, any word on their sale policies ?