• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Rail Ranger

Will the new operator of Northern accept the newspaper vouchers for the £10 day ticket after 1st March (they are supposed to be valid until 22nd March)? Perhaps the vouchers will cease to be valid after 29th February? The web pages with the downloadable forms for each type of newspaper could well disappear on 1st March.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roger B

Will the new operator of Northern accept the newspaper vouchers for the £10 day ticket after 1st March (they are supposed to be valid until 22nd March)? Perhaps the vouchers will cease to be valid after 29th February? The web pages with the downloadable forms for each type of newspaper could well disappear on 1st March.
Good question! 'Fraid I've no idea. I've got quite a few vouchers. I had a quick scan of this thread, but couldn't see a link to the Northern web page where I can download the form. Please could you post the link? Many thanks.

BlueFox

Good question! 'Fraid I've no idea. I've got quite a few vouchers. I had a quick scan of this thread, but couldn't see a link to the Northern web page where I can download the form. Please could you post the link? Many thanks.

It was posted in this thread at the end of December so it should be easy enough to find.

Roger B

Got it, thanks

cumbrianbill

Is anyone else getting a 404 error when they try to access the Northern newspaper offer forms?
Despite the message that the tickets will still be valid, is there any way to get them without the pdf forms?
Thanks.

Rail Ranger

Is anyone else getting a 404 error when they try to access the Northern newspaper offer forms?
Despite the message that the tickets will still be valid, is there any way to get them without the pdf forms?
Thanks.

I just tried the Reach PLC form and it worked fine. It still says "Offer valid until 22nd March" for what it's worth.

cumbrianbill

I just tried the Reach PLC form and it worked fine. It still says "Offer valid until 22nd March" for what it's worth.
Yes, thanks. I've now managed to download and print a form.
The unique id shows as 7fff-ffff-ffff-ffff.
Maybe they're having "issues". Can't think that it's a priority at present.

Karl

On Moderation
Yes, thanks. I've now managed to download and print a form.
The unique id shows as 7fff-ffff-ffff-ffff.
Maybe they're having "issues". Can't think that it's a priority at present.

That's my ID too, and my name, email address and postcode no longer appear on the form. I hope it's okay to use a Reach form from a JPI area?

cumbrianbill

That's my ID too, and my name, email address and postcode no longer appear on the form. I hope it's okay to use a Reach form from a JPI area?
Is the name of the paper on the tokens? Are you just using two JPI tokens or three?
Certainly some staff spend a lot of time looking up instructions in West Cumbria, so if you say you couldn't get a JPI form because it wouldn't download then it may be accepted. As to the number of tokens .....

cumbrianbill

Yes the name of the paper, Lancashire Post, is on the tokens. I don't mind attaching three tokens to a Reach form. I just hope they're valid.
It may be that it's just a temporary glitch like it was with the Reach form. It certainly looks like they're not bothered about individualising the forms for marketing any more. Maybe that's why the Reach ones weren't available temporarily.

woody505

Didn't have time too get a photo of the poster sorry northern offering 50% of some advance routes on Sundays in Feb can't remember the code sorry

skifans

Great call thank you!
No worries!
The site is struggling to cope with the demand. Running slowly, lots of error messages, things timing out, refusing to go to the payment page etc. Got there eventually though.
Yeah - managed to get what I wanted but getting worse. Not sure if related or coincidence but for the last one I just couldn't get after multiple payment errors switched from a visa to MasterCard and went through on first attempt.

Roger B

The site is struggling to cope with the demand. Running slowly, lots of error messages, things timing out, refusing to go to the payment page etc. Got there eventually though.
I'm still trying. Was it trial and error finding dates / trains with £1 fares, or can you select from availability listed? I'm looking o go from MIA to EDB - not bothered which date. Thanks

BlueFox

for the last one I just couldn't get after multiple payment errors switched from a visa to MasterCard and went through on first attempt.

I've just had that problem. I think it's because I've already made several payments to TPE this morning, so my bank is flagging it up as suspicious behaviour and refusing the payment.

BlueFox

I'm still trying. Was it trial and error finding dates / trains with £1 fares, or can you select from availability listed? I'm looking o go from MIA to EDB - not bothered which date. Thanks

Every weekday I've looked there have been £1 fares available for the journeys I've wanted (Carlisle to Edinburgh/Glasgow/Manchester/Lancaster). I've looked at a couple of Saturdays and there have been no £1 tickets.

_toommm_

Established Member
No worries!

Yeah - managed to get what I wanted but getting worse. Not sure if related or coincidence but for the last one I just couldn't get after multiple payment errors switched from a visa to MasterCard and went through on first attempt.

Banks will often flag multiple smal payments such as that. Fraudsters often take several small payments to make sure a card works, and will then make the bigger payments if the small payments are successful.

My card gets blocked every payday when I book my train tickets for work through TPE :D

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've just had that problem. I think it's because I've already made several payments to TPE this morning, so my bank is flagging it up as suspicious behaviour and refusing the payment.
I don’t know if it’s your bank; it might be TPE. Regardless of the card I’ve been using in the past, it only works on the TPE website for the first 4 separate transactions per day. Booking whilst logged out may solve this

mikeg

Established Member
Just booked my trip to MIA for my upcoming holiday in Serbia. Glad I held off booking train tickets! There were no problems (paid American Express) with the exception that the terms and conditions page was not found.

Edit: Just booked a daytrip to Edinburgh as well! :D

Last edited:

Wolfie

Established Member
Try again...
Keep your eyes open in your inbox/spam for a discount code from Avanti. Valid for a single journey (single or return) for up to two passengers made in one booking by 29 Feb 20. Valid for travel 24 Feb-31 Mar 20. No Railcard discount.

mikeg

Established Member
Banks will often flag multiple smal payments such as that. Fraudsters often take several small payments to make sure a card works, and will then make the bigger payments if the small payments are successful.

Can confirm that just now. Booked two trips with TPE and the same card kept declining when I just tried to make a small purchase on another website!

_toommm_

Established Member
Can confirm that just now. Booked two trips with TPE and the same card kept declining when I just tried to make a small purchase on another website!

Happened to me today. I went mad with the £1 sale (I use TPE for my commute to work) then my card got blocked.

gray1404

Established Member
I can't find any £1 tickets for Liverpool to Edinburgh which is annoying.

Might I be able to find some for Preston to Glasgow or Edinburgh.