• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Stations to Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Shipley and Earlestown are of note, being the only triangular stations on the network.

Not worth a trip on its own, but Brockholes on the Penistone line is quite quaint, with artefacts and such on the disused platform.

Any station with a pub or two is worth a visit, of course!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Shipley and Earlestown are of note, being the only triangular stations on the network.

Not worth a trip on its own, but Brockholes on the Penistone line is quite quaint, with artefacts and such on the disused platform.

Any station with a pub or two is worth a visit, of course!

What about Dinting ?

duffield

Established Member
Smallbrook Junction on the Isle of Wight has no road or footpath access, and the National Rail services only stop there to connect with the steam railway when running.
I'm not sure what happens if you get stranded there (e.g. deposited by the last steam service and the NR service then gets suspended after it's left due to a tree on the line or something). Maybe there's some agreement with a surrounding land owner for emergency - only access?

duffield

Established Member
Portsmouth Arms and Chapelton on the Tarka line get s minimal service but are in a beautiful part of the country. The former also has a pub! Not a lot at the latter, but it is a lovely spot by the river.

I also recommend Avoncliff, due to its location.

Don't forget Newton St. Cyres, also on the Tarka line - tiny station, minimal service, apparently has a great pub though (The Beer Engine, right by the station, fairly standard pub opening hours which is surprising for such a tiny village).

duffield

Established Member
Berney Arms is a nice little station and there are some good walks nearby but I think the pub is closed.

Closed, burned down and demolished!

Edit: This was based on my memory of a post on this forum which I can't find. Appears this may not be entirely true. Closed: Yes, Fire: Probably, Demolished: Apparently not.

Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
Don't forget Newton St. Cyres, also on the Tarka line - tiny station, minimal service, apparently has a great pub though (The Beer Engine, right by the station, fairly standard pub opening hours which is surprising for such a tiny village).
I have eaten at the pub before and the food was very tasty! :)

Kite159

Veteran Member

And easier to visit on a Sunday

E759

Smallbrook Junction on the Isle of Wight has no road or footpath access, and the National Rail services only stop there to connect with the steam railway when running.
I'm not sure what happens if you get stranded there (e.g. deposited by the last steam service and the NR service then gets suspended after it's left due to a tree on the line or something). Maybe there's some agreement with a surrounding land owner for emergency - only access?
Smallbrook Lane, to the west, is 100m from the station. Not that I'm suggesting use of in anything other than an emergency!

LeeLivery

Established Member
Angel Road before it's gone. Horrible station, but worth the visit. Especially if you want to hear some 317s screaming before they're gone too.

chubs

Closed, burned down and demolished!

Are you sure about this? There was a fire in the building but I believe it is still standing.

Some people are running a cafe from an outbuilding (which was a cafe in the past too) but it's very hard to find out if / when it's open and trading or closed. They did post about their intention to refurbish the pub and run it eventually.

There is also a community group who want to buy the pub for the past 2 years but they don't seem to make any progress.

Journeyman

Established Member
Corrour - as featured in Trainspotting - extremely remote location, no road access and very little there besides a stunning landscape. Surprisingly busy, though, and with an excellent restaurant/bar at the station - it's a bit on the pricey side but it's worth a visit. Also the gorgeous Loch Ossian youth hostel and three bothies within hiking distance for overnight stays.

Altnabreac - about as remote as it gets. Literally nothing for miles. Why the station was built is a mystery.

STKKK46

Dovey Junction has been mentioned - I did it recently and it was fascinating. Really long platform (due to the passing loop) to walk down to the footpath which has a stream running underneath.

Superb views for miles and you’re very likely to have the station to yourself.

Requeststop

On my one and only visit, I was impressed by Wymmes Bay.
When the River Hayle tide is in, Lelant is a lovely location, but I am very biased.
Tyndrum Upper and Lower have an appeal to me. Walking between the two is somethin I'd like to do one summers day.

thenorthern

Established Member
The triangular junction at Earlestown is not the only interesting thing about the station, the oldest railway building in the word that is still used for mainline railway purposes is there, its a small waiting room but its something.

bramling

Veteran Member
Dovey Junction has been mentioned - I did it recently and it was fascinating. Really long platform (due to the passing loop) to walk down to the footpath which has a stream running underneath.

Superb views for miles and you’re very likely to have the station to yourself.

Glan Conwy is another station with peace & quiet and a fine view, especially on a fine sunny day.

swaldman

It's not special in the railway senses that were discussed above, but Invergordon has some nice murals :)

frodshamfella

Established Member
I am looking at some special stations to visit over the next few weeks. What I mean by special is Ghost stations, intriguing stations as such also.

I count a visit to a station as either leaving or boarding a train, not jumping on or off to touch the platform or where the train makes a passenger stop and I don’t get off or passes through non-stop.

I understand this maybe an issue with some stations such as Teesside Airport.

So far I have come up with:

Lympstone Commando

Redcar British Steel - is this accessible?

Coombe Junction Halt

Denton and Reddish South - now with a return trip

Teesside Airport - catch train to Dinsdale and walk up

Longcross

Chathill

Berney Arms

Any other ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hawarden Bridge ?

frodshamfella

Established Member
Acton Bridge.....get off have a drink or lunch at The Hazel Pear Tree opposite ( That's all there is in the village) then go onwards

Andy1066

I am looking at some special stations to visit over the next few weeks. What I mean by special is Ghost stations, intriguing stations as such also.

I count a visit to a station as either leaving or boarding a train, not jumping on or off to touch the platform or where the train makes a passenger stop and I don’t get off or passes through non-stop.

I understand this maybe an issue with some stations such as Teesside Airport.

So far I have come up with:

Lympstone Commando

Redcar British Steel - is this accessible?

Coombe Junction Halt

Denton and Reddish South - now with a return trip

Teesside Airport - catch train to Dinsdale and walk up

Longcross

Chathill

Berney Arms

Any other ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pilning , well worth a visit 2 trains a week on a Saturday and in one direction only.

Killingworth

Established Member
Easiest way to visit Chathill station is to arrive & depart on the same train (once it returns from reversing further up the line).

I mentioned that depending on location, it might require an overnight stay is the train from Chathill in the evenings doesn't get back into Newcastle until 20:15 (on a weekday) or 20:33 on a Saturday by which time options to return to the south are a tad limited

Chathill was opened in 1847. 2 weekday Newcastle commuting services terminate there, one in the morning and a return in the evening, waiting in the Crag Mill loop before returning. Only 2,768 passenges were recorded 2016/17, but it's being part of the stopping service to Alnmouth that matters. Alnmouth counted over 300,000.

Have a look at Acklington with 3 trains a day and only 204 recorded for 2016/17. Used to be for RAF Acklington but nowadays the service doesn't suit HMP on that site, or seemingly anyone else! The stopping trains to Chathill form part of the service for rather busier Morpeth. Worked at Acklington Cattle Mart, beside the old station yard, for a very cold February day many years ago!

Harbornite

Established Member
A small example I reccomend is Borth, part of the station is now a volunteer-run museum and the view from the platform is one of the best I've seen.

gnolife

Established Member
A small example I reccomend is Borth, part of the station is now a volunteer-run museum and the view from the platform is one of the best I've seen.
If a view from a station is what you want, I highly recommend Deganwy

Gathursty

Established Member
I'll second Deganwy and Borth and add Builth Road and Llangynllo as you enter them by going almost through someone's house/garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.