• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Specific Overnight break of journey query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I know there are loads of threads about overnight break of journey but it still slightly confuses me. I have an Off Peak Day Return (CDR) from Poynton to Liverpool and will be stopping overnight at Stockport on the return journey. Can I do this resuming from 0930 (restriction code I1 and new boj rules). Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
I know there are loads of threads about overnight break of journey but it still slightly confuses me. I have an Off Peak Day Return (CDR) from Poynton to Liverpool and will be stopping overnight at Stockport on the return journey. Can I do this resuming from 0930 (restriction code I1 and new boj rules).
No. The terms & conditions for an Off Peak Return (SVR) allow for overnight break of journey in certain circumstances. Those for an Off Peak Day Return (CDR) do not, stating:
Off-Peak Day and Super Off-Peak Day tickets are valid for travel on the date shown on your ticket and until 04:29 on the following day.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/offpeak_day_conditions.html

Established Member
Right so id need to excess then to a SVR? You say certain circumances, what are these? The terms on the Off Peak and Super Off Peak suggest that you can only do it if you cannot complete your journey and not through choice?

Last edited:

Established Member
I did have a read earlier but couldn't post in the tunnels. They appear to indicate that I cannot do it because it is a choice break rather than a forced break due to there being no more trains.

John @ home

Established Member
They appear to indicate that I cannot do it because it is a choice break rather than a forced break due to there being no more trains.
I think you're reading the rules for the outward leg of an Off-Peak Return:
Off-Peak Singles and the outward portion of Off-Peak Returns are valid for travel on the date shown on the ticket and until 04:29 the following morning. If the journey cannot be completed in this time, the ticket may be used to continue the journey on the following day. Unless otherwise indicated in the relevant restriction code, time restrictions apply as from the initial origin station on both days. The appropriate restrictions for the actual day on which travel is being undertaken apply (for example, it may be that if day 1 is on Sunday, no restrictions apply, but on day 2, the Monday-Friday restrictions apply). All travel must be completed by 04:29 in the morning after this second day. Please note that break of journey is not permitted on some journeys, as detailed in the ticket restrictions.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/offpeak_conditions.html
instead of those for break of the return leg:
Return portions of Off-Peak Return tickets are valid for travel until 04:29 on the day following the last day of validity (i.e. one calendar month from outward journey). All travel must be completed by this time. ...

Break of journey is allowed on the outward portion of Off-Peak tickets unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's validity code and in all cases on the return portion of Off-Peak return tickets.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/offpeak_conditions.html

Established Member
Right its just clicked, I understand it all now. I was completely forgetting in all this that the return portion is valid for a month.

Wolfie

Established Member
Right its just clicked, I understand it all now. I was completely forgetting in all this that the return portion is valid for a month.

I thought you said that you had an Off Peak DAY Return ticket in your first post. If so how in the world is the return valid for a month?

Established Member
I did however John @ home told me I couldn't do it with a CDR and would need a SVR but I forgot the return portion was valid for a month somehow and wasn't reading the correct information which caused added confusion. However. I understand it all now. Thank you for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.