• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Specific photographic law advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
I am planning a trip to Bedford at the end of the month and I know from when my brother went there last time, he got ordered to delete a photo by one of the platform staff

So, in the event that this happens again, which hopefully it won't, can someone give me the exact wording of the law which restricts this please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
They cannot ask you to delete a photo without a court order.

In fact, I am of the opinion that they cannot even look at your photos without RIPA authorisation, but I may be wrong on this.

the sniper

Established Member
You should refuse to delete the photographs, definitely. Try and be tactful about it though, as on the off chance that the member of staff is au fait with the ambiguities of the railway byelaws (it's unlikely), they could try and remove you from the station.

Flamingo

Established Member
What was the photograph of, out of interest? Were any individuals in it, and were they objecting to having their photograph taken?

Personally, I am not keen on having my photograph taken on train or station, and have asked people to delete photographs of me before now. That has been in the context of ticketing / antisocial behaviour issues on their part, though.

In certain circumstances it can be (or intended to be) intimidating and harassing. Funnily enough, they have never been so keen on the "It's a public place" arguement when I have taken out my camera to photograph/video them, and repeated it back to them.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
What was the photograph of, out of interest? Were any individuals in it, and were they objecting to having their photograph taken?

Personally, I am not keen on having my photograph taken on train or station, and have asked people to delete photographs of me before now. That has been in the context of ticketing / antisocial behaviour issues on their part, though.

In certain circumstances it can be (or intended to be) intimidating and harassing. Funnily enough, they have never been so keen on the "It's a public place" arguement when I have taken out my camera to photograph/video them, and repeated it back to them.

Can't remember what it was about now but I think he took a picture of a FFC train on it's own and the staff member came over and asked to look at it and then for him to delete it

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've had people ask me to delete photographs before, though it's never happened at stations (only had 'security reasons' but no requests to delete). If they ask nicely then normally I don't have a problem and will re-attempt the shot without them in it, but if they're rude they've got no chance.

A good example of this was in Boston bus station. I took a photo of a bus approaching it's stand and the driver waved and shook his head. He immediately approached me, and said would I mind taking the shot again without him in it. He was polite and friendly, and I didn't have a problem with it. Contrast this with the driver for a larger company at Scunthorpe, who decided to raise her voice and be immediately confrontational - she got nowhere.

I'd never delete any shot I thought could be important - e.g. if questioned by police, I would ensure all photos were retained as evidence that my activities were innocent.

Flamingo

Established Member
Can't remember what it was about now but I think he took a picture of a FFC train on it's own and the staff member came over and asked to look at it and then for him to delete it

Can't see what the problem would be with that picture.

bluenoxid

Established Member
No, the picture should not be deleted. As they are making an accusation about your actions (the act of taking a photo) then they are destroying evidence. Some might say that it is similar to witnessing a shooting and then pocketing the bullet. If they have an concerns about your actions and presence of the station, they should call the British Transport Police.

However, the reason may be perfectly innocent. I find it is better to ask what the issue is. Some people do not want a photo of themselves taken and are usually quite happy to ask. Some people are better at making this request than others. It is a matter of discretion. Be friendly and firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.