• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Specifications of UK train bathroom - help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebeccaEliza

Hello,

I am researching locations for a short film to be shot within the UK. Does anyone know which types of train have toilets with windows that can be opened and shut?

Ideally in the South East of the UK but South West and London would be an option.

Please let me know any information you may have or where to find these specifications.

Many thanks,

Rebecca.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm not aware of any trains currently in service that have windows which open in the toilet, sorry "bathroom". Even those with windows that open elsewhere on board (i.e. those without air-conditioning) the windows in the lavatory compartments are sealed.

RebeccaEliza

Ok thank you. Do you happen to know of any UK trains that may have this trait? Thanks in advance.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok thank you. Do you happen to know of any UK trains that may have this trait? Thanks in advance.

As far as I'm aware there are no trains, certainly no trains in service that have opening windows in the toilet. It is possible that some heritage designs from before the war or in the decade or so afterwards might.

najaB

Veteran Member
Does anyone know which types of train have toilets with windows that can be opened and shut?
None that I'm aware of. Two reasons that I know of: a) to discourage people from trying a cheeky smoke; and b) for privacy.

Many kudos for doing the research though.

RebeccaEliza

As far as I'm aware there are no trains, certainly no trains in service that have opening windows in the toilet. It is possible that some heritage designs from before the war or in the decade or so afterwards might.

Thanks for the reply, I will look into older trains.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Certainly not inter war or after WW2. I don't think toilets before then had any opening windows either.

If it helps there should be an opening (drop down) window in the exterior doors nearest the toilet door or a sliding window in a nearby compartment or side corridor, if the stock was of a corridor type built before the early 1970s.

randyrippley

Established Member
didn't Norman Wisdom lose his trousers out of a train lavatory window? Any ex-SR EMUs left which have the same feature? Would be OK for an historic film, not much use for the next James Bond though.......

Foxhunter

I've just seen this thread after spending the day volunteering at a preserved railway in the South of England (not the one linked to below). Remembering the long established rule that if anyone did something different to everyone else there is a high probability that that person is Mr Bulleid, I tried to visualize the Brake 3rd that passed my station 6 times today. But failed. However, the fourth image down on this link

https://locoyard.com/2014/08/20/rolling-stock-on-the-bluebell-railway-3/

may suggest at least a partial opening window on a lavatory compartment?

Veteran Member
The Bullied design is a hopper opening, the window height matching the compartment windows with their sliding ventilators.

Earlier SR designs mostly had ventilators over the lavatory windows.

BR Mk1 designs developed the Bullied pattern (as in many other ways), but with IIRC a louvred section in the upper half of the window.

A quick Google photo search throws up various sorts of integral ventilator including an outward opening LMS one, but no droplight type windows.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'd suggest talking to a preserved / heritage line and swapping out the window in a Mk1 carriage toilet with one specially constructed for the filming purposes, then re-instating the original window afterwards.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'd suggest talking to a preserved / heritage line and swapping out the window in a Mk1 carriage toilet with one specially constructed for the filming purposes, then re-instating the original window afterwards.

This might be the OP's best bet. Other options could be to (like the commercial linked upthread) construct a set on a sound stage, which would also mean that the shoot isn't at the mercy of the British weather (I'm guessing that the OP is posting from the United States by the use of the term "bathroom") and would be more straightforward from a cinematography point of view.

One thing to note is that filming on railways can be very expensive, and my (limited, student :oops:) knowledge of "shorts" does not lead me to expect that this project would have a huge budget.

RebeccaEliza

I've just seen this thread after spending the day volunteering at a preserved railway in the South of England (not the one linked to below). Remembering the long established rule that if anyone did something different to everyone else there is a high probability that that person is Mr Bulleid, I tried to visualize the Brake 3rd that passed my station 6 times today. But failed. However, the fourth image down on this link

https://locoyard.com/2014/08/20/rolling-stock-on-the-bluebell-railway-3/

may suggest at least a partial opening window on a lavatory compartment?

Thank you I will look into Bulleid trains
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks to everyone for their great suggestions. All really helpful! Will keep searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.