• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speculative Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanc688

Evening....Just a query on 'spec apps'.

Has anybody here ever had, or heard of people having any success with speculative applications for Trainee Driver or Conductor positions.

I know from what I have read in other places that TOCs genarally adhere to a policy of not accepting these. Whether this is 100% true or not is what I am really trying to gauge.

I am personally going to send a few off anyway (and if they are ripped up on delivery, so be it) because God loves a tryer (as the old cliche goes). I don't see any harm in an attempt at least.

I am East Mids based and know that East Coast and East Mids usually only take internals and rarely advertise externally, but TPE and Greater Anglia may well be worth a try (in my mind anyway)

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Lanc

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
Hi Lanc688, I've spoken to one guy who made a speculative application. He was told there were no vacancies available but they'd keep him on file for 6 months. 9 months later he was invited to interview and the rest is history - but that was several years ago.

Good luck though!

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Well I've held two jobs in the railway industry, both gained as a result of speculative applications!

I think the key is that you've got to be applying for a job that has some possibility of arising. Trainee on an inter city outfit doesn't happen very often! TPE is a somewhat more realistic prospect, depending on where you live. Make sure you research where a company has driver depots, before you start sending CV's off.

Can you be a little more specific as to where you are located?

Lanc688

E&W

Lincoln.

I have researched depots within what I would suggest is a reasonable area for me to either commute or re-locate to and am considering TPE, First Hull, East Coast (a long shot i know) and Greater Anglia.

I know that Greater Anglia have just recruited and I like the area.

Lanc
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
LCC106

PS...Thanks for the info!

E&W Lucas

Established Member
E&W

Lincoln.

I have researched depots within what I would suggest is a reasonable area for me to either commute or re-locate to and am considering TPE, First Hull, East Coast (a long shot i know) and Greater Anglia.

I know that Greater Anglia have just recruited and I like the area.

Lanc
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
LCC106

PS...Thanks for the info!

Going back to my original point, you've got to apply for jobs that have some chance of existing.

The only EC depot near there is Doncaster, which is tiny. Practically zero chance of trainee recruitment. EMT at Lincoln - worth a CV, but small, and the kind of place that can easily recruit qualifieds from elsewhere. Hull Trains, tiny outfit. TPE - not sure that they have anyone based in Doncaster?

Your realistic chances are FCC at Peterborough (does Cambridge work from there as well?) or Norethern at Doncaster and Hull.

If you want to become a trainee driver, it means units I'm afraid!

Status
Not open for further replies.