• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speculative CV's.. Is it worth the bother anymore??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Val3ntine

I have drafted a full and detailed speculative CV ready to send to more or less every operating TOC in the UK, am i right in thinking that i'm more than likely not going to hear a response from any, has that day and age long gone?
If anyone knows of any TOC that has been known to respond and act on speculative cv's please do name and shame so i can focus my attention on them. I know its a long shot and most trainee positions are advertisment only but surely some rules are made to be broken....maybe??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I have drafted a full and detailed speculative CV ready to send to more or less every operating TOC in the UK, am i right in thinking that i'm more than likely not going to hear a response from any, has that day and age long gone?
If anyone knows of any TOC that has been known to respond and act on speculative cv's please do name and shame so i can focus my attention on them. I know its a long shot and most trainee positions are advertisment only but surely some rules are made to be broken....maybe??

Most probably won't reply but you might get one or two depending on how you've worded it all.

Put it this way, you can't get any of them to contact you if you don't send your CV!

Thanks,
Ross

Timpg

I don't see the harm...I sent mine to the foc I'm currently working for, took me over a year to get my foot in the door, but the remembered me, although it wasn't for a driving position, but still I got a start on the railways!!

Albatross

I remember sending letters to every club in the football league asking for a trial in 1985. Only Oldham replied and they actually invited me for one.

I was a smallish 15 year old and they put me in central midfield against this 18 year old cockney giant that had just been released by Crystal Palace, don't think I touched the ball at all, not joking either.

Nothing to do with tocs but just thought I'd tell you.

TDK

Established Member
I got my job as a driver by sending off a CV, they contacted me and invited me to the assessment centre without filling in an application form, however this was back in the 90's

notadriver

Established Member
Everything seems to be done online now. It's the only the way they can keep track of the thousands that apply for driver positions and in addition the online application form may include a test to screen out unsuitable candidates.

Welly

Interesting to read that people DID get jobs by sending out speculative CVs. When I was unemployed back in the 1990s, I sent out many scores of speculative CVs - not one employer replied!

Status
Not open for further replies.