• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speed Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Road safety depends on drivers paying full attention to the road ahead, but speed cameras distract them to varying degrees. If a driver isn't looking ahead, he might not see a pedestrian until it is too late. Most drivers see road side speed cameras as a threat that must be dealt with. Dealing with the threat involves extra speedo checks, and valuable attention diverted from the road ahead.

So the message for pedestrians is clear. They should always choose a place to cross the road where drivers are not likely to be distracted by a speed camera - and that means crossing well away from any camera.

Checking the speedo take around one second - slightly more for older drivers or tired drivers. In one second you travel 44 feet or about 3 car lengths. If you are starting to check your speedo when a pedestrian steps into the road it will take an extra 44 feet to stop. Assuming a speed of 30mph, this brings you to rest at the same point as braking from 42mph without the distraction of the speedo check. Our straw poll survey suggests that 70% of drivers check their speedos THREE OR MORE times in the immediate vicinity of a speed camera.

They are just a money making scam, they dont detact drink drivers, dangerous drivers or even dodgy cars that are on the road. They just want to take money from the public. Thankfully aload of speed cameras have been denied in my area for the time being. Are the Dft finally seeing sense :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rail safety on the Underground depends on drivers paying full attention to the road ahead, but SS's or DMT's checking their speeds distracts them to varying degrees. If a driver isn't looking ahead, he might not see an obstruction until it is too late. Most drivers see SS's and DMT's and speed limit signs as a threat that must be dealt with. Dealing with the threat involves extra speedo checks, and valuable attention diverted from the road ahead.

So the message for passengers is clear. They should always choose to travel on an Underground line where drivers are not likely to be distracted by SS's and DMTs.

Checking the speedo take around one second - slightly more for older drivers or tired drivers. In one second you travel 44 feet or about 1 car length. If you are starting to check your speedo when a person steps into the tracks it will take an extra 44 feet to stop. Assuming a speed of 30mph, this brings you to rest at the same point as braking from 42mph without the distraction of the speedo check. Our straw poll survey suggests that 70% of drivers check their speedos THREE OR MORE times in the immediate vicinity of a speed camera.

They are just a demotion scam, they dont detact drink drivers, dangerous drivers or even dodgy units that are on the rails. They just want to warn drivers and eventually demote them. Thankfully aload of DMTs and SS's have been denied in my area for the time being. Are TfL finally seeing sense

;) :lol:

T

Tom

Boat safety in the sea depends on captains paying full attention to the water ahead, but Police boats checking their speeds distracts them to varying degrees. If a captain isn't looking ahead, he might not see an obstruction until it is too late. Most drivers see police boats and speed limit signs as a threat that must be dealt with. Dealing with the threat involves extra knoto checks, and valuable attention diverted from the water ahead.

So the message for passengers is clear. They should always choose to travel on an boat where captains are not likely to be distracted by police boats.

Checking the knoto can take around one second - slightly more for older captains or tired captains. In one second you travel 20 feet or about half a boat's length. If you are starting to check your knoto when a person falls into the sea it will take an extra 20 feet to stop. Assuming a speed of 30 knots, this brings you to rest at the same point as braking from 42 knots without the distraction of the speedo check. Our pipe poll survey suggests that 70% of captains check their speedos THREE OR MORE times in the immediate vicinity of a police boat.

They are just a demotion scam, they dont detact drink captains, dangerous captains or even dodgy boats that are in the water. They just want to warn captains and eventually demote them to cleaners. Thankfully aload of police boats have been denied in my area for the time being. Is the boating world finally seeing sense? :)

:lol:

Yorkie, tubechallenger you really are immature saying you are admin. Just because you may not drive, my job depends on me driving and speado cameras i see as a big threat.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think I got my point across!

Many people have found the above posts funny, and yes they are. Not immature, it's wit.

But there is a serious point here: the road industry is unable to accept responsibility, unable to accept the fact that speed limits exist for a purpose. Of course you don't see train drivers moaning at checks on their speeds, but that's because they are responsible and intelligent people.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
yorkie said:
Of course you don't see train drivers moaning at checks on their speeds, but that's because they are responsible and intelligent people.

Bloody engineering chaps put a 20mph TSR in the middle of a 125mph section the otherday when I was driving my HST! lunatics! what were they thinking, I have an express train to rush people into london and they make me do an emergency brake application for flaming engineering, how dare they slow me down! :shock:

tramboy

Nowadays, Nottinghamshire CC have taken to calling them "safety cameras", and they aren't just standard GATSOs...yes they still exist, and yes it may be safer not to cross near them, but the more modern cameras are digital...and some are on stretches of road where no one is likely to speed, except for at night, when people might be caught.

The advantage to this modern camera is that you have to maintain an average speed, and therefore must not speed between cameras. With cameras sometimes a fair distance (two-four miles) apart then you are likely just to drive normally.

Speed cameras are not there to be noticed and complained about. They are there to enforce speed limits, and they don;t cause accidents (i never saw one jump out in front of anyone), they prevent them if the driver drives properly.

Driving requires concentration, and i agree with Yorkie that for some people, they will not accept responsibility for their actions.

Regards

Dave

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Plane safety in the air depends on pilots paying full attention to the air ahead, but Police planes checking their speeds distracts them to varying degrees. If a Pilot isn't looking ahead, he might not see an obstruction until it is too late. Most Pilots see police planes and speed limit signs as a threat that must be dealt with. Dealing with the threat involves extra knoto checks, and valuable attention diverted from the air ahead.

So the message for passengers is clear. They should always choose to travel on an plane where pilots are not likely to be distracted by skydivers or police planes.

Checking the knoto can take around one second - slightly more for older Pilots or tired Pilots. In one second you travel 500 feet or about 200 planes length. If you are starting to check your knoto when a skydiver falls into the sky it will take an extra 500 feet to stop. Assuming a speed of 20,000 knots, this brings you to rest at the same point as braking from 40,000 knots without the distraction of the speedo check. Our pipe poll survey suggests that 70% of Pilots check their speedos THREE OR MORE times in the immediate vicinity of a police plane.

They are just a demotion scam, they dont detact drink/drug pilots, dangerous pilots or even dodgy planes or parts on the plane that are in the air. They just want to warn pilots and eventually demote them to cleaners. Thankfully aload of police planes have been denied in my area for the time being. Is the British Aerospace finally seeing sense?

:lol: :lol:

Dave A

yorkie said:
Of course you don't see train drivers moaning at checks on their speeds, but that's because they are responsible and intelligent people.

Are you sure about that Yorkie. Remember, yesterday, *Cough* Smoking *Cough* :lol: ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
London Tube said:
yorkie said:

Are you sure about that Yorkie. Remember, yesterday, *Cough* Smoking *Cough* :lol: ;)
Might have been someone else in the cab smoking though!

Dave A

yorkie said:
London Tube said:
yorkie said:

Might have been someone else in the cab smoking though!

True. Btw, I do not not like train drivers :D

David

Established Member
Craig said:
yorkie said:
Many people have found the above posts funny, and yes they are. Not immature, it's wit.
That's open to debate, I didn't find them funny.
I had a laugh at them :lol: But in general I am against Speed Cameras. I find they are to often used to raise money which the government can then sqaunder. One example. Yesterday driving down to the GCR, I saw (yet again) a mobile camera van sat on the hard shoulder of the M180. That isn't speed enforcment, it is blatent money grabbing.

Dave A

Craig said:
yorkie said:
That's open to debate, I didn't find them funny.

I found them funny but more witty funny than haha funny. Speed cameras are a pain in the arse but I'm sure the money is paying for the last 12 months of bloody roadworks I have had round my home :x ;)

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Aah, the great speed camera debate.

Personally, I think the use of speed cameras is justified and that we do needs speed cameras on our roads. However, I do not particularly agree on the current policy of using huge numbers of speed cameras where they are not particularly required.

This goes from cameras that are placed in positions than can only be described as just completely unfair. The ones I talk of are ones placed immediatly after the speed limit drops (ie from 50 down to 30 etc). I mean, come on, give a driver a little bit of slack.

Secondly a new batch of cameras have gone up on the ring road around our city centre. IMO these are a complete waste of taxpayers money and will only pay for themselves with the handful of late night speeding drivers. During the day the road is pretty much chocca and there is no chance of motorists being able to break the limit and set the cameras off. During the night the road is empty and used only by a handful of drivers, most of whom adhere to the speed limit anyway. The number of serious accidents caused by speed (or in fact the number of serious accidents anyway) is low and ample crossing facilities are provided in locations where pedestrians would want/need to cross the road. So what the hell is the point of these cameras?

Now before I get yelled at by all you anti-road people out there, I don't agree with drivers who deliberatley break the speed limit excessively. However I do believe that all drivers (and this includes train drivers(whilst driving trains and their cars to and from work ;) ) should be cut a bit of slack. As has been mentioned, almost constant monitoring of speed to avoid speed cameras etc. severly distracts the driver from paying attention to the road (or rails) ahead and can lead to accidents. As can the reactions of drivers when they break suddenly on approaching a camera when a glance at the speedo informs them that they are going 3mph above the speed limit. As I say, I don't agree with excessive speeding, but drivers are only humans and IMO accidently slipping a couple of MPH over the limit is perfectly acceptable. On the other hand somebody doing 20, 30, 40 MPH above the limit should be penalised, but it doesnt exactly take a speed camera to tell when somebody is travelling that much faster than the limit.

The suggestion that it is purely speed that causes road accidents is, IMO, utter b******s, it usually takes a vehicle in poor condition, a driver under the influence of drink/drugs, a tired driver or just a driver not paying enough attention etc etc to result in an accident.

And no, I'm not a driver...

(apologies for the essay!)

Dave A

Speed cameras are also unsightly and I agree that they do not need to be everywhere. In fact they are rarely seen in the places they are probably most needed :roll:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Im am alwasy fro Speed Cameras, why the hell they decided to listen to everone and put them where you can see them I dont know! the point is it catches you when you are speeding, as you shouldnt of been speeding in the friggin first place, you dont see me speed a 30 limit! *cough cough*

heart-of-wessex said:
Im am alwasy fro Speed Cameras, why the hell they decided to listen to everone and put them where you can see them I dont know! the point is it catches you when you are speeding, as you shouldnt of been speeding in the friggin first place, you dont see me speed a 30 limit! *cough cough*

Im am not a fan of Speed Cameras, why they decided to put them where you can see them is because the aim of speed cameras was not to catch large numbers of motorists and collect more fines, but to get drivers to slow down and thus reduce accidents. (debatable about not to collect more fines)

So heart of wessex, you are telling me you have never speeded? as everyone has done it at some point

Jim

Established Member
H-O-W's point is one which I totally agree with. You shouldn't get warning because you shouldn't be doing it. END OF..

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
So heart of wessex, you are telling me you have never speeded? as everyone has done it at some point

....he drives a moped doesn't he.....

Tom B

Established Member
If you're over the speed limit, you shouldn't be. Full stop.

rbruce1314

Cockfosters said:

Not true. You drive into an area you have never been before: 5 miles on there is a speed camera: there are no speed limit repeater signs: what is the bl**dy limit?

Most of us drivers are human, not robots or superman. If train drivers (back on thread!) need a visual to remind them of the aspect of the last distant signal surely road drivers need repeated reminders of whether the limit is 40, 50 or national. This often does not happen.

There is also the problem (in my neck of the woods) where a speed limit is dropped and there is no advanced warning that anything is different from the last time you drove that road. unless you are psychic you will be got by the camera.

I do not choose to speed (clean licence is the proof) but these days there are far too many traps for the careful but unwary driver

rbruce1314 said:
Cockfosters said:

Not true. You drive into an area you have never been before: 5 miles on there is a speed camera: there are no speed limit repeater signs: what is the bl**dy limit?

Most of us drivers are human, not robots or superman. If train drivers (back on thread!) need a visual to remind them of the aspect of the last distant signal surely road drivers need repeated reminders of whether the limit is 40, 50 or national. This often does not happen.

There is also the problem (in my neck of the woods) where a speed limit is dropped and there is no advanced warning that anything is different from the last time you drove that road. unless you are psychic you will be got by the camera.

I do not choose to speed (clean licence is the proof) but these days there are far too many traps for the careful but unwary driver

Its nice to get a fantastic reply.

andrewmay

I have heard reports that deaths have increased where speed cameras are which proves the point that they do distract drivers. It's ironic that they have increased deaths which they should have prevented!

I also used to think that making speed cameras visible was defeating the object of them but I soon realised that they were visible so that drivers would reduce their speed when they saw it rather than get plenty of fines and be proved just to be a money making scam.

Speed cameras are obviously not the best solution to speeding but I dont know what is but I would suggest that as we have speed cameras now that placed on the back of every speed camera was the speed limit of that road which i'm sure would reduce the number of careful drivers recieving unnecessary fines.

Cheers,
Andrew

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
andrewmay said:
I have heard reports that deaths have increased where speed cameras are which proves the point that they do distract drivers. It's ironic that they have increased deaths which they should have prevented!
Speed cameras reduce deaths.

False reports written by right-wingers do not prove anything.

Ben

i live very close to a road thats got 4 speed cameras in 3 miles in both directions so if they speed for 3 miles its going to cost them at least £240 and 8 points on their licence and after that im damn sure they wont speed again

so the message is dont come on RailUK and expect serious replies 24/7

David

Established Member
158 said:
i live very close to a road thats got 4 speed cameras in 3 miles in both directions so if they speed for 3 miles its going to cost them at least £240 and 8 points on their licence
Wrong. It will cost them £240 and a minimum of a 6 month ban.

Just be grateful you haven't got the police from Scunthorpe there. They sit on the hard shoulder of the M180 everyday with mobile camera's. This is despite the fact there has been only 2 fatalities in the last 10 years (IIRC) and a small number of accidents. But just 2 miles away is Crowle Crossroads. There has been quite a few accidents there over the past few years caused by speedind and / or reckless driving, yet you never see the police there.

yorkie said:
andrewmay said:
Speed cameras reduce deaths.

False reports written by right-wingers do not prove anything.

Show me some facts and figiures

Status
Not open for further replies.