• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speed Limit maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Hi all,

A while ago I found a page on the Network Rail website which had a number of PDFs on with the speed limits for each stretch of line (I can only assume I got the link from here somewhere!). I've attached a screenshot of Castle Cary station I used for something a while ago.

The URL was http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse... route mileage, Permissible line speeds&root= but it doesn't seem to load the list of files anymore, and a search on Google doesn't seem to find anything.

Do you know if this has been taken down now, or just moved elsewhere?

Attachments

• clc.jpg
    clc.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 90
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

The Planner

Veteran Member
It is official and has been for some time, just go on to the main NR website and type in "Baseline" in the search facility at the top. They come up as the sixth result under "Baseline Capability". Despite the fact they are somewhat out of date they can be useful when I cannot access NESA at home !

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Any Network Rail url with anything like "browsedirectory" in it takes a while to load. I don't remember it always doing so, but it certainly has for at least 9 months, and I think it may be down to some computer somewhere leafing through files working out what is in the "directory" in question.

You just need to open the link, go and get a cup of tea, then come back and it'll normally be there. No need to panic.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Okay, loads of thanks for those links Causton :) (I also apologise for not thanking in my first post...)

I've tried to load this page (separate from last night, the computer's had a reset (for once), and I've had a tea now as well!) and it just loads the page header, a bit of text saying that 'each file below contains...' and then the page footer. At one point last night it loaded that far, then after a bit switched to a 404 error which was a little odd!

Still, thanks again for the links. Managed to find what I wanted out of it - although their primary function is speed limits, it's quite useful to see track layouts and crossovers etc :)

Darandio

Established Member
Because the files are large, they will struggle to load completely in a browser window and will time out for some users. The best way is to right click one of the links above and save the .pdf file on your computer, it will also download much quicker than trying to load the full thing in your browser. You then also have it for future reference as well.

ryan125hst

Established Member
although their primary function is speed limits, it's quite useful to see track layouts and crossovers etc :)

I agree with you there. I have been looking at them myself over the last few days and have been fascinated by them, in particular the ECML. It's interesting to see where the trains have to slow down, where the freight loops are and how the trains are able to get to certain platforms ect.

For example, Southbound trains just north of Retford can use a crossover to get onto the Northbound line, then come into Platform 2. They can then use another crossover just south of the station to return to the Southbound line.

I have seen trains use this line a few time now. Once of these occasions was when the wires came down near London last May (it was a YRK to KGX non stop 225 as well!). I have also seen 2 HST's use it on different days, but have no idea why. I think one of them was when that freight train brought the wires down just north of Retford.

While on this subject, does anyone know why they haven't installed a similar crossover and bi-directional signalling for Platform 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.