• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speed Limits on Switches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi guys,
I am aware that the smaller speed limt sign with an arrow (left or right) represents a speed limit on a diverging section of track from the main one (a switch). Is there a such sign to warn a driver that this speed restriction is coming, incase he is to slow down to obey it? (Like the yellow triangle?)
Thanks,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
I do believe it is a yellow triangle with an arrow - but I may be wrong

Jordy

wumpty

Hi Rich,

The most common way to warn a driver of a route diversion is by signal approach control.

This can be seen in the Maybank BVE4 route. The signal before the junction is fitted with a route indicator (or feather). You can code the signal to stay red by placing a dummy station stop at approx 100-200m before the signal. Then the driver is forced to slow down for the red, which will clear as you run over the dummy station, lighting the feather and the train is going at around 15mph, slow enough to navigate any divergance.

This is the dummy station before the turnout at Radley Junction

.sta ;10.4250;10.4250;;1;1;ATS,
.Stop 0;0;0,

Set the times as exactly the same, at a time prior to the time the train arrives at the point, or else the signal may take ages to clear.

HTH

The Snap

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
They're not switches, they're points!!

Everyone else seems to called them switches, I've always refered to them as points though... LOL! :D

The Snap

Established Member
wumpty said:
Hi Rich,

The most common way to warn a driver of a route diversion is by signal approach control.

This can be seen in the Maybank BVE4 route. The signal before the junction is fitted with a route indicator (or feather). You can code the signal to stay red by placing a dummy station stop at approx 100-200m before the signal. Then the driver is forced to slow down for the red, which will clear as you run over the dummy station, lighting the feather and the train is going at around 15mph, slow enough to navigate any divergance.

This is the dummy station before the turnout at Radley Junction

.sta ;10.4250;10.4250;;1;1;ATS,
.Stop 0;0;0,

Set the times as exactly the same, at a time prior to the time the train arrives at the point, or else the signal may take ages to clear.

HTH

Cheers Steve, I think it's you anyway, LOL! :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Rich said:
Cockfosters said:
They're not switches, they're points!!

Everyone else seems to called them switches, I've always refered to them as points though... LOL! :D

I nearly posted 'turnout' when referring to 'points' recently, so you're not the only one using US terms. Maybe we've all got MSTS on the brain (THAT'S why I have a headache then, lol :lol: ).

Thank you wumpty, by the way, for explaining the signal-controlled junction approach. Don't suppose you know why the signals insist on being double-yellow off Riverside (on the HST service), then single after the next station (Kings Road?), then red before the next one? Surely if it's a HST service, it should be routed as fast as possible, not constantly being slowed after Riverside? Tis well annoying, always knocks my arrival into Hammerwich off by 2 minutes or 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.