• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speed limits on the Gloucester-Birmingham route

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntanswell

Hi ya,

After making several trips on this route recently, it appears to me that some of the route is rather fast up until longbridge. Anyone know the max speed for the route and as a bonus, where trains achieve it? Also, whats the limit through Ashchurch station, as i notice there are several sidings and spurs there, also the limit over worcester south junction for trains to Bromsgrove, and finally whats the limit up (or down) the lickey?

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I know it slows down to 60mph, then to 40mph once the 2-track starts on the Cross City section.
A Voyager journey can be extremely painful too as they're TT'd to sit on yellows from Kings Norton once they follow a Cross City train.

devon_metro

Established Member
Too right. Was stopped at Bourneville before on a voy.

It's pretty fast down the Lickey.

ntanswell

Hi,

Thanks for the info, the route from a passenger perspective seems quite straight, i remember reading somewhere about a virgin proposal to boost the route to 125mph operation, i assume the route is currently restricted to 100mph due to signalling, 3 aspect i believe?

Nathan

PS. A voyager with all engines working tackles the lickey with realtive ease, how did the HSTs and 47s handle with less power?

ChrisCooper

Established Member
If a line has a conventional 100mph speed limit (not just for certain types of trains, like HSTs), then the signal spacing won't be a problem as far as further upgrades are concerned as all trains capable of travelling in excess of 100mph (including the 110mph 87s and 90s) must be able to stop within 100mph braking distances (usually by using EP braking, rheostatic braking, or both, disk or clasp brakes isn't usually an issue, although clasp brakes arn't as good at high speeds, and arn't used as primary braking on any train capable of more than 100mph). The number of aspects isn't a problem either, 125mph running can be done with 3 or even 2 aspect (distant and stop) signalling, the more aspects just make the line run more efficiently. The single yellow or distant will be the same distance from the red as a double yellow, giving the same braking time.
It is very likely to be other issues effecting top speed, with automatic level crossings being a problem, aswell as sighting distance for various things. Efficiency is also a problem since increasing line speed costs money (not just dealing with the problems above, but also the increased wear and tear on track and rolling stock, and increased fuel costs), so journey time reductions have to make it worthwhile. Sections of higher speed running also have to be long enough so that trains arn't just hitting top speed intime to brake for a lower speed limit (even Voyagers will probably take about 5miles to get from 100mph to 125mph and back, and will use a lot of diesel in the process).

Sprog

Established Member
ntanswell said:
PS. A voyager with all engines working tackles the lickey with realtive ease, how did the HSTs and 47s handle with less power?

with much HELLFIRE involved....;) <D

Status
Not open for further replies.