Speed Records

Discussion in 'Modelling, Simulations & Games' started by Mutant Lemming, 9 Sep 2018.

1. Mutant Lemming

Mutant Lemming Established Member

Forgive me if this has already been asked/answered but what is the world speed record for a standard model gauge train ?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. trash80

trash80 Member

Smokey Joe is supposed to be the fastest loco

4. deltic1989

deltic1989 Established Member

I once had a Lima Class 20 that, when you moved the controller just a tiny bit, would shoot off at a scale 300mph, and immediately de-rail itself on my old tail chaser layout.

5. Edders23

Edders23 Member

I wonder if there has ever been an attempt at that or just longest distance run by model train

6. Mutant Lemming

Mutant Lemming Established Member

I suppose most modellers wouldn't want to push their locos to breaking point - though am sure there must be one or two out there.

7. Edders23

Edders23 Member

There used to be a chap in kent who would hold annual model railway games including launching locos off the end of the track and I think shunter races but I doubt anyone was taking notes as it was a sort of boozy weekend using old models adapted for getting thrown about

8. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

Guess it would become complicated when regarding different scales.

RE: Smokey Joe, I had one that I'd repainted into a normal BR livery and did a few tests on my layout, next to some it was comparatively slow, I think the quickest was a tender drive Hornby A3, it's just that with the pug being so small and with small wheels it looks a lot quicker than it is.

9. trash80

trash80 Member

Well the legend is Smokey Joe though to be honest a couple of my old Lima locos suffered time dilation when they ran full tilt

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Member

Smokey Joe used a chassis common to a lot of models, which means a Hornby 06 shunter is waaaay faster than an HST. :)

Apparently a properly adjusted DCC setup can get Smokey Joe running more or less reasonably at less than the speed of sound.

11. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

A steady hand on the controller can easily achieve the same, though the limitations of the worm drive motors make it difficult to avoid a bit of a jerk when starting and stopping. The post-millennium models seem on the whole to demonstrate smoother running qualities than their eighties and nineties counterparts.