• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speeding Buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewmay

I have been going to and from Walsall almost every day for around 5 years on the bus and on every journey the bus seems to go faster than the speed limit through areas with speed cameras. I was wondering if buses are exempt from fines for speeding or whether the company recieves the fines. If they do recieve the fines it must have cost them alot of money and surely the drivers would have had a severe talking to.

Cheers,
Andrew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
No, buses are subject to the same rules as everyone else (although Fastbuck can be guarunteed to try and wheedle their way out of trouble).

Lewisham2221

Established Member
AFAIK, the company tracks down the driver of the bus and takes it from their wages (or at least that's what First do/did).

Tom B

Established Member
I think this is why they must keep duty records - so if the police come and say "<bus reg> was being driven by a driver on his mobile phone" the company should say "*ferret* The driver at the time was x, I'll haul him in here to be dealt with". Of course there are odd (?) occasions when the records go mysteriously missing (ISTR this happened with Fastbuck last year when given a speeding fine).

tramboy

Yup...there have been a few occasions when drivers on Trentbarton routes here have been dragged in to the office and yelled at (from overhearing drivers talking to each other!) There is a 40 section through Radcliffe and some drivers used to speed through it...and were caught by the police speed van sitting in a disused garage. This no longer happens...because all the drivers on my route are new (and so never speed and mainly keep to time!) and because the section in question is now protected by digital speed cameras.

There was also an incident when a bus at a stop was given a parking ticket because the stop was blocked by cars and he had to pull alongside those to pick up passengers. It took them a year to contest it and they were vindicated, as the offence was removed. Common sense prevailed!

Regards

Dave

andrewmay said:
Thanks very much for your responses as it has been on my mind for a long time.

Cheers,
Andrew

Tom can you refer them as First Group please, they may not be your favourite company bit at least give them a bit of respect. Ive seen pictures of first group buses taken by yourself, so do you have some hidden love for them and the passionate affair with Dominators that you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.