• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spending time in South Wales on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigsavi

Hi, I am hoping to spend the day in South Wales on Thursday, hoping to get some photo's of freight trains at Severn Tunnel Junction, some Time on Newport and Cardiff. Any advice on places to go, best times to be where or any chance of seeing class 70's, be happy to hear any advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TGVDUDE

Hi, I am hoping to spend the day in South Wales on Thursday, hoping to get some photo's of freight trains at Severn Tunnel Junction, some Time on Newport and Cardiff. Any advice on places to go, best times to be where or any chance of seeing class 70's, be happy to hear any advice.

Best chance of seeing a 70 is 09:00 - 10:00 at Severn Tunnel Junction, although could very well be a 66, 6B13 pass not long after aswell, as for Margam Yard, its good if you know how to get there, as its a long way from Port Talbot/Pyle train stations and i'm not sure about buses, it will still be a long walk, however a nice local Cabbie may drop you off, as Workers get dropped off/picked up nearly all of the time. There is a lack of Steel Workings this week i'll warn you, as the Workers at Margam/Llanwern/Tostre are on Holiday :D Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, I'll try my best :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If anyone from South Wales would like to meet us when we're there, you're welcome to join us for a meal in Newport on Tuesday 3rd August. We're also planning a meal in nearby Gloucester on 5th August (but we could possbly change that to Cardiff or Newport so contact us first).

We're going to be doing the Pontypool & Bleanavon Railway on 3rd August, hopefully we'll get a Thumper! We should be on the 1500 from the recently re-opened Blaenavon High Level to Whistle Inn, and returning at 1550, but please send me a PM first if you want to meet us so we can let you know if we're delayed.

We may be doing the Dean Forest on 5th August but this is not yet certain.

And if anyone is up for some cycling, let us know :)

Bigsavi

Thank you for the info, unfortunately I didn't get this until after the event, but useful none the less for future reference (I understand a 70 can often be seen at Bristol Parkway).. Spent morning rush hour on Cardiff, loads of DMU's and the light was quite good for photo's. Only one 66 however, then missed another 66 on coal as I left on way back to Newport.

Saw a few guys on Newport who confirmed the holiday period impacting on trains.... It was very quiet. Did get a photo of 57 315 on the Holyhead. Then due to signalling problems ended up on the wrong platform for a decent photo of the freightliner.

Had a couple of hours at Severn Tunnel Junction but the only excitement was a track machine!!!

Back at Newport things picked up, with a few small steel trains. Then to cap it all I missed the 60 on tanks as I was leaving!!!

Was great to get out for the day, but needs better planning next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.