• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spitfire 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whistler40145

Established Member
Did your e-mail get bounced back from Spitfire?

If Spitfire had gone up in a puff of smoke, then I would expect their e-mail address to be shutdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drimnagh Road

Got an e-mail from the Growler Group with seating details for next weekend, so at least we know it's definitly happening.

Phil6219

It's waay too soon to go saying that!

Why wouldn't it be going ahead?

Nobody has proven these rumours true or false and yet quite a few people now seem to think that Spitfire are in trouble, it doesn't make sense. I know they had a bad year last year with so many cancellations and re-scheduled tours but that was the end of it.

What I will ask is that has anyone got their tickets yet?

Phil 8-)

CitrixMike

The Spitfire website has also been updated to mention that tickets were sent out yesterday.

junglejames

Established Member
Latest rumour on WNXX is that there wont be any DRS 37s on the tour this weekend.

However someone a bit earlier also said its two 37s and a 47 on the back. Plus a load 11. Different to the load 7 Spitfire told me it would be.

tnxrail

Tour has left Birmingham International with WCRC 37's 37676 & 37685 and looked to be 7 coaches.

a1a.a1a

Tour has left Birmingham International with WCRC 37's 37676 & 37685 and looked to be 7 coaches.

Currently 30+ late, awaiting single line (?) Into Crewe from Kidsgrove . . . Sounds like one of LM's finest has gone pop. :(

junglejames

Established Member
Currently 30+ late, awaiting single line (?) Into Crewe from Kidsgrove . . . Sounds like one of LM's finest has gone pop. :(

350 failed on the single line ahead of us. Sat at Alsagar for over 1hr. Eventually Siemens fitters sorted the problem, and we were 95 late leaving Crewe.
Lost our 40min break at Carlisle, but were back 10 early at Carstairs. Eventually reached Fort William (currently home to 3 WCRC 37s!), over 40mins early.
Got some strange looks as we, unfortunately, took it easy through Glasgow Ctrl Low Level.

cambsy

On Moderation
Does anyone know what happening with Spitfire tours,are they in trouble?seem to be very slow putting up this years rail tour program,looks very empty with just 2 tours up till summer,know in previous thread someone mentioned maybe a deltic tour to Edinburgh in early March,can't see that happening,

junglejames

Established Member
Does anyone know what happening with Spitfire tours,are they in trouble?seem to be very slow putting up this years rail tour program,looks very empty with just 2 tours up till summer,know in previous thread someone mentioned maybe a deltic tour to Edinburgh in early March,can't see that happening,

The Deltic tour isnt happening in March. Supposedly it will be sometime later on in the year. But then again, they also said during the FW trip, that the site would be updated within a fortnight. So god knows.

crewmeal

"We're very much open for business" is the quote taken from the latest edition of Railway Herald. I really hope all the work being undertaken at the moment pays off. I'm pinning my hopes on the "Mazey Day" tour with hopefully 2 x 50's.

TGVDUDE

Website has been updated with 2 x Mazey Day tours & a Sheffield - Tenby trip on the 2nd June! No traction quoted

junglejames

Established Member
Website has been updated with 2 x Mazey Day tours & a Sheffield - Tenby trip on the 2nd June! No traction quoted

Plus a planned trip from Leeds to Pwllheli on 7th July. Still in the planning stages though that one. Interesting that traction isnt mentioned at all.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Sheffield-Tenby now stated as WCRC 37s (and other trains will be WCRC traction too).

table38

Established Member
It does say on their site that:

Our principal Train Operator will be remain as West Cost Railway Company , however, due to a change in policy within West Coast regarding the hiring in of third party diesel traction for our trains, all our tours operated by West Coast Railway Company will feature West Coast traction. This will be the case for the foreseeable future and any changes will be advertised accordingly.

Our first tour will be on the Saturday 2nd June from Sheffield to Tenby with WCRC class 37’s as the requested traction

I quite fancy the proposed Pwllheli trip on 7th July!

Phil6219

Our principal Train Operator will be remain as West Cost Railway Company , however, due to a change in policy within West Coast regarding the hiring in of third party diesel traction for our trains, all our tours operated by West Coast Railway Company will feature West Coast traction. This will be the case for the foreseeable future and any changes will be advertised accordingly.

Our first tour will be on the Saturday 2nd June from Sheffield to Tenby with WCRC class 37’s as the requested traction

Well that will make it interesting should they want to use the Deltic, 50s or anything other than 37s, 47s or 33s... Though it does say "principle operator" so perhaps if they wanted something other than WCRC traction they would use someone else.

Any ideas why the change in policy?

It is good to see the website has been sort of updated and looking forward to seeing more details regarding the proposed tours.

Phil 8-)

crewmeal

I'm thinking about booking a couple of tours with Spitefire, however they now say they can't accept credit card bookings. Without wishing to comment on their financial status I'm concerned that if things went wrong then a lot of cash could be lost. At least booking by credit card you would get your money back if things did go wrong. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.