• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spitfire: The Prisoner

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
Leeds > Pwllheli, 7th July.

Anyone got any idea what the traction will be? Doesn't say on the Spitfire website.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TGVDUDE

as said above, 97 from Shrews, I would have thought 2x97s but wasn't there a timing run not too long ago with just a single 97? Knowing Spitfire I expect them to be aiming for WCRC 37s from Leeds, since they're only using WCRC traction now :|

4SRKT

Established Member
Would be excellent if they got 2x WCRC 33s Leeds > Shrewsbury IMHO.....

4SRKT

Established Member
A pair of tractors would be fine as well. If it's a duff or a 'snatcher from Leeds I'll get on at Manchester Victoria, otherwise Leeds. Have to get off at Victoria for the 22:54 Calder Valley working on the return journey based on the provisional timings, as it gets back to Leeds just minutes after the last train down most of the lines in the WYPTE area, making this a frustratingly difficult tour to access for many people for whom on paper it should be easy :( Leeds <> West Yorkshire.

table38

Established Member
Just got a call to say this will be going to Aberystwyth now rather than Pwllheli due to lack of paths north of Dovey Junction.

Timings seem to have changed too, now dep 07:26 at Staly rather than 08:30.

fgwrich

Established Member
Just got a call to say this will be going to Aberystwyth now rather than Pwllheli due to lack of paths north of Dovey Junction.

Spitfire dont seem to be having much luck this year on their tours it seems.

That would be refreshing, and 33207 deserves a good ride out on the mainline!

Could be happening this year, as West Coast are now working on re-instating 33029 back to the mainline, with a test run last week and GSMR fitment apparently now ongoing too. So 2&1/2 33s back on the mainline = :D :D
(Shame there not Bagpipe fitted though, as you could multi up on the 4VEP - but i can live with that)

Crimson_Quiff

Wouldn't surprise me if that was down to the fact that the train is load 12 with two locos on the front! Doesn't the Barmouth Bridge still have a weight restriction on it?

the-gog

Wouldn't surprise me if that was down to the fact that the train is load 12 with two locos on the front! Doesn't the Barmouth Bridge still have a weight restriction on it?

Nothing to do with Barmouth bridge and everything to do with the loop at Porthmadog and the fact the LHCS timing trial fouled the crossing. Possibility that ATW would have to modify their timetable as a one-off basis in order to allow railtours longer than 6 coaches to pass there.

There's also the problem of only one ERTMS-signed driver being available that day...

Basically, a farce from beginning to end.

Crimson_Quiff

Nothing to do with Barmouth bridge and everything to do with the loop at Porthmadog and the fact the LHCS timing trial fouled the crossing. Possibility that ATW would have to modify their timetable as a one-off basis in order to allow railtours longer than 6 coaches to pass there.

There's also the problem of only one ERTMS-signed driver being available that day...

Basically, a farce from beginning to end.

Ah, fair enough! That last comment, agree with entirely.

table38

Established Member
It's a pity as I was looking forward to it, plus I'm keen to support Spitfire as I don't want to see another railtour operator bite the dust.

So reading between the lines, is it unlikely that there will ever be a tour doing the Cambrian? (Given they probably need to be >6 to be cost-effective).

If so, I might as well do it on a unit sometime!

crewmeal

I firmly believe that it's not Spitefire's fault, but the companies that run the rail system. If these people can't be bothered to communicate amongst themselves to ensure a smooth running of such a tour, then it's a sad day for the railways.

Maybe this is why some operators give Mid Wales a wide berth!

neildimmer

Established Member

Spitfire dont seem to have updated there website regarding this tour, no times to be found anywhere

Neil

fgwrich

Established Member
That's if it runs again - With more rain forcast for South West & Central England and a fair amount forcast to come over Wales, things on the cambrian could get a little 'wet'. River Severns apparently getting rather higher too!

anthony263

Established Member
They should have fun getting back to Shrewsbury tonight with a freight derailing just outside the station.

4SRKT

Established Member
I'm told we are reversing in P4 then going Telford - Oxley Chord - Stafford!

Good news for track bashers. Except those of course planning to get the last trains back from Leeds who wil be stung with big taxi fares. Ah well. This was precisely the reason I didn't go on this tour. I didn't believe the initial provisional timings, and with the departure from Leeds brought forward by an hour and very dicey off the Aire Valley I was quite right not to.

table38

Established Member
Being held at Welshpool now apparently the Westcoast 37 drivers we need from Shrewsbury were stuck at Crewe. Never a dull moment on this tour :)

Update

It seems likely we will be held here for the next two service trains to pass. Anyone for shrewsbury told to get service train so now up loop at shrewsbury a possibility!

Last edited:

table38

Established Member
Swift loco change just before Sutton Bridge and we are off in a Telfordwardley direction

Status
Not open for further replies.