• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split Season ticket validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

pethadine82

On Moderation
I am unsure if this is valid, under one of the conditions of carriage (condition 19 I think)

Can you have 2 season tickets that can be combined as it works out cheaper than the original point to point season tickets, does the train have to stop at the station(s) where one ticket ends and the other starts.
What if one of the seasons tickets is a zonal travel card, and another season ticket is the same zone as the station on the first season ticket, but the intended train to catch does not call at where the first season ticket ends but does stop inside a zone that the second ticket is in.

sorry if this is a bit vague, but dont want to give any details away, I am just asking if it against the T&C

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
First question, yes the train needs to stop where you swap from one ticket to the other if combining two season tickets.

As for the second question, without any clue as to what you are referring to, it is difficult to say. I can only say that a zonal season ticket is still a season ticket so normal rules apply, unless you combine two zonal tickets and the boundaries explicitly match.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
You can have two season tickets to complete one journey.

However the train must call at the station where you intend to change tickets unless they are both zonal.

As a purely hypothetical example, you can use a Z1-6 Travelcard season in conjunction with an East Croydon-Brighton season, but the train must call at a station between East Croydon and the boundary of zone 6 inclusive.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
As a purely hypothetical example, you can use a Z1-6 Travelcard season in conjunction with an East Croydon-Brighton season, but the train must call at a station between East Croydon and the boundary of zone 6.

I think you might not have said quite what you intended there...

[.n]

I'malways a bit confused but under 19c I thought

A London travelcard does not count as a season ticket, thus leaving the other ticket to count as the season ticket

Therefore in the example above it was a a legit combination even if the train does not stop at East Croydon and must passes through?

higthomas

[.n];2607269 said:

A London travelcard does not count as a season ticket, thus leaving the other ticket to count as the season ticket

Therefore in the example above it was a a legit combination even if the train does not stop at East Croydon and must passes through?

Why would it not count as a season ticket?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Both tickets are Season tickets; the Travelcard is a Zonal ticket as in Condition 19 but this does not preclude it also being a Season. The only situation under Condition 19 is thus (b).

NRCoC page 26 said:
(s) “Season Ticket” means a ticket which allows you to travel for a period of 7
consecutive days or longer and will have (except in the case of an Electronic
ticket) one or more of the following characteristics:
(i) it shows the word “Season”;
(ii) it shows the word “Travelcard”;
(iii) it is endorsed with a photocard number;

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I think "inclusive" was intended.

Indeed, I thought that was obvious. Amended.

Now find me a train which calls at South Croydon, Purley or Coulsdon South but not ECR :)

That's not the point :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
[.n];2607269 said:

A London Travelcard is a season ticket.

Other PTE products, e.g. a Metrocard, are not counted as season tickets.

pethadine82

On Moderation
ok I guess that I have to rule it out now since the train that I wanted to catch does not stop at the same station

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
[.n];2607269 said:

TfL is not a PTE so a Travelcard season is a season ticket for the purpose of Condition 19.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
TfL is not a PTE so a Travelcard season is a season ticket for the purpose of Condition 19.

For the sake of completeness, it's also a zonal ticket for the purpose of Condition 19(a), which can come in useful for a few flows where it's cheaper to buy A - London Zones n-6 plus a separate Zone 1-n-1 combination, or if you just want the convenience of Oyster for most of your "in-boundary" journeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.