• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split season ticket validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

virgintrain1

Hi,
Can anyone confirm if this would valid on XCs voyagers between CNM and BHM.

Cheltenham to Bromsgrove 7 day season (Via Worcester) and a Bromsgrove to Birmingham 7 day season.

Looking at it I would think not but has coursed a debate?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
They absolutely are. Condition 14.2 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel allow a split of tickets, as long as at least one of the tickets is a season ticket. Therefore, your ticket is valid on CrossCountry.

Just out of curiosity, who has 'caused the debate'? Has someone said no to you in the past?

virgintrain1

They absolutely are. Condition 14.2 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel allow a split of tickets, as long as at least one of the tickets is a season ticket. Therefore, your ticket is valid on CrossCountry.

Just out of curiosity, who has 'caused the debate'? Has someone said no to you in the past?
No one bats an eyelid about the split and Bromsgrove it's the 'via Worcester' part seems to cause a head scratch.

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
No one bats an eyelid about the split and Bromsgrove it's the 'via Worcester' part seems to cause a head scratch.

Ahh, I didn't see that bit originally.

In which case, I could be inclined to say no, as CrossCountry don't go via Worcester. Because you're not going via Worcester on XC, then surely the first ticket wouldn't be valid.

kieron

Established Member
It sounds fine. Cheltenham-Bromsgrove "via Worcester" becomes Cheltenham-Ashchurch-Worcester-Ashchurch-Bromsgrove, and you can simply miss out the double back.

I'm curious as to how useful this ticket combination is, though, as the two season tickets cost more than a Cheltenham-Birmingham one, and I haven't found a reason why they would give any extra validity. Is it because they aren't intended to cover exactly the same week as each other?

tony_mac

Established Member
It sounds fine. Cheltenham-Bromsgrove "via Worcester" becomes Cheltenham-Ashchurch-Worcester-Ashchurch-Bromsgrove, and you can simply miss out the double back.
I can't see how that would be a valid route with the double back?

JB_B

Established Member
I can't see how that would be a valid route with the double back?

I don't think there is a double back.

Permitted routes from Cheltenham to Bromsgrove via Worcester include...

CNM->WOF = CNM-ASC-WOP-(WOS-WOF)
and
WOF->BMV = (WOF-WOS-ASC)-WOP-BMV

As it's a season ticket you can use any subset of a permitted routes and join these together to get...

CNM-ASC-WOP-BMV which is the Cross Country route the OP requires.

I can imagine that using this might result in some push-back from XC staff.

Abbreviations:-
Cheltenham Spa [CNM]
Ashchurch for Tewkesbury [ASC]
Worcestershire Parkway [WOP]
Worcester Shrub Hill [WOS]
Worcester Foregate St [WOH]
Bromsgrove [BMV]

Last edited:

crosscity

I'm not sure how the routing guide deals with permitted 'via' routes. I can see two approaches:
1) find all the permitted routes from Cheltenham to Bromsgrove. Only those via Worcester are permitted for the restricted ticket or
2) find all the permitted routes from Cheltenham to Worcester, and those from Worcester to Bromsgrove and choose one from each to get the permitted routes from Cheltenham to Bromsgrove.
Under 1) I couldn't see why a double-back from Worcester SH to Parkway would be allowed as a valid permitted route, although Cheltenham-Worcester (missing Parkway)-Parkway-Bromsgrove might be a valid route but no CC train would follow it.
Under 2) provided Worcester SH-Parkway-Bromsgrove is a permitted route from Worcester to Bromsgrove then the season ticket would be valid on a Cheltenham to Bromsgrove direct train.

How does the routing guide work?

alistairlees

Established Member
I'm not sure how the routing guide deals with permitted 'via' routes. I can see two approaches:
1) find all the permitted routes from Cheltenham to Bromsgrove. Only those via Worcester are permitted for the restricted ticket or
2) find all the permitted routes from Cheltenham to Worcester, and those from Worcester to Bromsgrove and choose one from each to get the permitted routes from Cheltenham to Bromsgrove.
Under 1) I couldn't see why a double-back from Worcester SH to Parkway would be allowed as a valid permitted route, although Cheltenham-Worcester (missing Parkway)-Parkway-Bromsgrove might be a valid route but no CC train would follow it.
Under 2) provided Worcester SH-Parkway-Bromsgrove is a permitted route from Worcester to Bromsgrove then the season ticket would be valid on a Cheltenham to Bromsgrove direct train.

Number 2

kieron

Established Member
The routeing guide doesn't specify how fares with routes other than "any permitted" work (and the Conditions of Travel doesn't say whether you should use the routeing guide at all). My understanding is that web sites all try both approaches, and accept the route if it is valid using one of them.

No web site can show this particular route, however, as only Crosscountry and GWR stop at Ashchurch (I think Worcs Parkway will be the same if that opens), and only WMT stop at Bromsgrove.

Status
Not open for further replies.