• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
Split shifts sometimes called spreadovers seem to be used in the bus industry to boost the service in peak periods. The entire shift exceeds 12 hours but drivers are often only drive 8 to 9 hours. Is this a good idea for the rail industry ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
I would absolutely detest split shifts if they were brought in where I am. Its a perfect way to completely screw your day over.

Bellwater

I would absolutely detest split shifts if they were brought in where I am. Its a perfect way to completely screw your day over.

I know plenty of ex-bus staff who came onto the railway to get away from split shifts.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Could someone explain in a bit more detail what is meant by split shifts?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A split shift is where you might work 6 am to 10 am then have a few hours off and work 3 pm to 7 pm or something like that.

Ahh I assumed that's what it meant but best to be sure, thanks :) I can certainly see why someone wouldn't want to work with that sort of system as it would basically cost you the entire day (certainly I wouldn't like to work under that kind of system).

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
There are some ticket offices that have split shifts, to be honest it would put me off working there.

driver9000

Established Member
Having worked speadover turns when I drove buses I would definitely not want them back.

michael769

Established Member
Many moons a go I worked a split shift for a local operator.

I left the depot at 7:30 got back about 11:55 then back out 15:35 and back 20:15. The good thing about it was that as it was a mix of peak hour supplementation and break cover you did a variety of different routes over the shift rather than the same mindless 60min round trip all day. Saturdays were better - out for 09:45 back for 17:45 with a 30min break away from the depot.

It did let you get things done during the afternoon, but meant you were getting home till about 20:30 so you did not have much time free in the evening. Though I suspect some long distance commuters experience the same in terms of time away from home but without the afternoon gap. These days I am out of the house by 7:30 and back by 6:30 so despite a 9-5 job I only gain an extra 2 hours a night.

Personally I didn't mind it too much compared to a proper back shift.

12CSVT

Established Member
In British Rail / Network South East days split shifts were often part of base rosters, especially in the London area. Generally this meant working two 4 hour shifts over the same day (eg 0700 to 1100 and 1500 to 1900). Despite the 4 hour break you were paid 12 hours for working them.

If you worked the full 12 hours when base rotered a split shift, you would be paid the equivalent of 17 hours, the 4 hours in the middle being paid at the standard overtime rate of 'time and a quarter'.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Used to be done on the Underground in the 1970.s - 12 hours pay for 8 hours work or so - OK (for some) if you live very near the depot or signing on point. Probably not sustainable and not good for fatigue index.

exile

Established Member
It is common in other industries eg catering. However the same safety issues don't apply. - though they might do in hospitals where some doctors do work these sort of hours!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It is common in other industries eg catering. However the same safety issues don't apply. - though they might do in hospitals where some doctors do work these sort of hours!

I used to do split shifts in a hospital kitchen: 0630-1430 then 1700-2030. Often 7/7 days. And no pay for the 2 1/2 hours off either. But when you're 19 and hard up anything is possible, although strangely I was most tired on a day off.

krisk

Having done it, its a terrible idea and it will not work unless people are paid right through from the start of duty to the end of duty.

I'm sure it's popular from a business point of view but rules are there that you are paid from the start of a turn to the end of one.

What happens in that gap if the service goes breastical verticalis, do you come in earlier than your second shift just to help. If so are you not then classed as being spare/stand by?

michael769

Established Member
I'm sure it's popular from a business point of view but rules are there that you are paid from the start of a turn to the end of one.

It is not really popular with anyone. Split ****s are something that arises out of expedience to meet a specific business need - not something that anyone really wants - they are a pain for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.