• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split ticketing and starting short

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg

Established Member
I have searched the forum and can't find the exact information for this, I think the answer to my question is 'yes' from reading the NRCoC but here goes.

I wish to make a journey which is in part triangular. I won't go into specific stations (sorry if this makes things difficult to understand) as there is a quite useful 3 mile rule route involved and I do not wish to see a negative easement against it inserted.

Code:
E
    |
    |
    |
B  |--C-- D
    |      /
    |     /
    |    /
    |   /
    |  /
    |/
    A
My journey is from A to E. The direct route is the only permitted one. Going via C and D is not permitted. A ticket from A to C however is valid via B or D under the 3 mile rule.

For timing reasons I wish to make my journey one way by the direct route and the other from E to B then across to D via C and back down to A.

My question is this: If I bought an A to C ticket and a C to E ticket (for roughly the same price as a through ticket by the way), would it be accepted on the direct A to E via B service)? The train obviously does not call at C but calls at B, which is along a permitted route from C to E. Also I would be finishing short on the A to C ticket, so again the same principle applies.

I think I need to attend another fares workshop to be honest, but work commitments are getting in the way (I have irregular days off on a rota).

Condition 19B says that the train calls at a station where you change from one station to another. But does this have to be the destination on the ticket. B is where I change from one ticket to another and it is on a permitted route so is this ok?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
Great, thanks for the help. The tickets both permit BoJ on both legs.

RJ

Established Member
I wish to make a journey which is in part triangular. I won't go into specific stations (sorry if this makes things difficult to understand) as there is a quite useful 3 mile rule route involved and I do not wish to see a negative easement against it inserted.

Dangerous - expect to see the usual names crop up to chastise you for this!

richw

Veteran Member
This is something I have wondered recently as i found a split recently with a similar situation.
station A - station B - station C - station D.

Train didnt call at station C, just A,B and D, but it was cheaper to buy a split A-C and B-D, than a A-D ticket.
Could I stop short on A-C at B, where I could move onto B-D ticket? The ticket allowed BoJ.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
mikeg, I hope that your "Location" isn't giving your cunning secret plan away. If it is then change it quick before ATOC find out!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Condition 19B says that the train calls at a station where you change from one station to another. But does this have to be the destination on the ticket. B is where I change from one ticket to another and it is on a permitted route so is this ok?

Provided break of journey is permitted by the tickets you hold, you do not have to use the ticket fully and can stop and start short if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.