• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split ticketing - train not stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzug2

I can sort of predict the range of responses I'll get but would still be interested in the answers.

Say I've split tickets at Slough - off peak day returns. The train is running late and at Reading there's a last minute announcement that it will run non-stop to Paddington. And say I don't hear that announcement or the train departs before I can detrain.

What is my position?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
I'd be similarly surprised if there were an inspection in those circumstances, and I agree with LexyBoy that one is very unlikely to face any trouble.

34D

Established Member
I can sort of predict the range of responses I'll get but would still be interested in the answers.

Say I've split tickets at Slough - off peak day returns. The train is running late and at Reading there's a last minute announcement that it will run non-stop to Paddington. And say I don't hear that announcement or the train departs before I can detrain.

What is my position?

I'd say that if the timetable says the 10:00 from reading will call slough (and that's where you've split) that you are 100% entitled to travel on that train with both tickets.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'd say that if the timetable says the 10:00 from reading will call slough (and that's where you've split) that you are 100% entitled to travel on that train with both tickets.

That's not what the NRCoC says though; whilst ticket restrictions refer to trains sheduled to leave/depart, NRCoC 19(b) says:

You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire journey and one of the following applies:
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one ticket to another

Which is what I take it dzug2 is referring to. (Obviously it's easy to take the example to extremes such as announcing that the train wasn't stopping (e.g. due to a security alert) after leaving Reading, but the scenario in the OP is the more interesting).

sonic2009

Established Member
Agree, if the train is booked to call and then for some unexplained reason it doesn't it's not your fault the service didn't stop.

Monty

Established Member
If it's booked to call then it's clearly valid!

x2 From a guards (and former RPI) point of view, if the train the passenger is travelling has had changes made to it's stopping pattern enroute the ticket should still be valid. It's unreasonable and unfair to expect the passenger to get another service because of the TOCs foul ups.

blakey1152

I'd imagine that the ticket would indeed be valid..especially as if like the other day the Daleks had taken over Slough Station.....

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I think from an official point of view, you'd not be covered. The actual condition is quite clear, the train must call where the tickets change over, no mention of trains being timetabled to call or scheduled to call, just that it does call, but how a guard deals with it in the real world is open to debate, largely because different guards react in different ways.

In much the same way to the recent debate about using diverted services, when you buy split tickets you accept that there are additional restrictions to that set of tickets, this really is no different in that respect.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I completely disagree. You have a valid contract to be conveyed. If something happens that makes the train go a different route, then the passenger is not in any way in breach of contract.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If you have split tickets of the same type, you have a contract for services that call at the split point, it is that simple. By buying the ticket you agree to that condition, I'm sure the people who wanted only to go to Slough would be quite put out aswell, but they are in the same boat of having to change trains when they didn't want to. If you accept the restriction when you buy the ticket, you can't go back on it just because life has been 'unfair' to you.

The contract says you have to use trains that call where the ticket changes, so if it doesn't you ARE in breach of contract.

Flamingo

Established Member
If the train is booked to call, the ticket should be ok, and I would be VERY surprised if anybody made an issue of it. Unless you meet our Revenue manager, than "May the Lord have mercy on your soul" :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
On one occasion when using split tickets, I was on the correct train but everything had been delayed by about half an hour so the train ended up missing out a few stops including the splitting point.

TBH I would have been quite shocked if the conductor had made an issue of it, however as it turns out, he didn't check it anyway.

34D

Established Member
I think from an official point of view, you'd not be covered.

I expect that if both the tickets were advances (say Paddington-Taunton and Taunton-Penzance, train unable to call Taunton due to a police incident) you'd charge a fresh pad-Penzance open single? Even if the closure wasn't known until Cogload junction.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I expect that if both the tickets were advances (say Paddington-Taunton and Taunton-Penzance, train unable to call Taunton due to a police incident) you'd charge a fresh pad-Penzance open single? Even if the closure wasn't known until Cogload junction.
I would expect anyone doing that to be issued with a formal warning, and I'd also expect the media to be very interested in such a story. I doubt any guard would act in such a ridiculous way.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

I don't believe I have said what I would do in any situation in this thread, so I won't start now.

Does the railway force people to split tickets? No, that is a personal choice by the passenger. They must accept the limitations that it brings.

In the case of a station, or a section of line, being closed I would expect alternative arrangements to be in place (bus replacement service for example) meaning that travel by a later service would be almost guaranteed on Advance tickets and thus, yes, if they stayed on board, I believe that could be the official line.

However, I have already stated in this thread that exactly what happens in the real world would be dependant on the guard on board, amongst other factors.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In the case of a station, or a section of line, being closed I would expect alternative arrangements to be in place (bus replacement service for example) meaning that travel by a later service would be almost guaranteed on Advance tickets and thus, yes, if they stayed on board, I believe that could be the official line.

However, I have already stated in this thread that exactly what happens in the real world would be dependant on the guard on board, amongst other factors.

In the case of joining two tickets together to form one journey, I hope that common sense would prevail given that forcing a passenger to use a bus replacemnet when his train was still making the journey he wanted would very likely result in a delay repay claim, possibly of the full amount of the ticket(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.