• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split ticketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfoxcc

Thinking of visiting The Search Engine at NRM to photo some plans

Home Station is Bracknell Alternative is Twyford

Whilst the easiest way fro me would be to go via London ( and at a good price = return trip in fuel with a light right foot) Door to door travel time is 30mins longer by car, but i am completely flexible on arrival and departure times.
However back to trains Don't really fancy doing Tube between either Vauxhall or Paddington at the moment, so going cross country via Reading-Birmingham -Derby-Sheffield-York (Other routes might be available)

What is the best split ticketing site to play with?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The main sites are:

Raileurope/Traintickets.com - both use the Atomised algorithm. I believe the latter doesn't charge a booking fee, but the former does

Trainsplit & various affiliates - use Trainsplit to avoid booking fees as some of the affiliates do charge a booking fee

Trainpal - limited to only one "split" (2 tickets); I am not sure of its position on fees.

Trainsplit & affiliate sites have the added bonus of a free seat selector (for all companies that offer seat reservations)

paul1609

Established Member
Assuming you are abled bodied. I'd do Bracknell to London Waterloo. Walk from Waterloo to Blackfriars Station South Entrance (just over 1/2 mile, 15 mins)
Thameslink northbound to St Pancras, then walk across the road to Kings Cross.
Ive only done the one trip through London since March on Monday this week and on the last peak morning train up from Romney Marsh practically everything was deserted.
On some of the pre-covid cross London trips I did up the ECML trainsplit routed me on Thameslink up as far as Peterborough, so that would also be an option from Blackfriars if you wanted to minimise contact in London.
Not sure how tier 2 restrictions announced today will affect transiting London.
Id also say trainsplit is the best site. If you know what you're doing its possible to beat trainsplits price especially on cross london trips from the south east but its a good place to start and I generally use it, even if Im using my own splits. I have no connection with any TOC/ Ticket Retailer.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Assuming you are abled bodied. I'd do Bracknell to London Waterloo. Walk from Waterloo to Blackfriars Station South Entrance (just over 1/2 mile, 15 mins)
Thameslink northbound to St Pancras, then walk across the road to Kings Cross.
Ive only done the one trip through London since March on Monday this week and on the last peak morning train up from Romney Marsh practically everything was deserted.
On some of the pre-covid cross London trips I did up the ECML trainsplit routed me on Thameslink up as far as Peterborough, so that would also be an option from Blackfriars if you wanted to minimise contact in London.
Id also say trainsplit is the best site. If you know what you're doing its possible to beat trainsplits price especially on cross london trips from the south east but its a good place to start and I generally use it, even if Im using my own splits. I have no connection with any TOC/ Ticket Retailer.

If taking Thameslink from Blackfriars then consider staying on as far as Stevenage or even Peterborough and changing there. This can sometimes work out cheaper.

The walk from Waterloo to Blackfriars is easy and a walk along Roupell Street is always a delight.

A Challenge

Established Member
There are no movement restrictions for any tier regarding essential travel only, even on public transport, at the moment.

Argyle 1980

205 bus between Paddington and Kings Cross is good alternative to tube, but really the tube is very quiet of late.
From personal experience, finding cheap long distance tickets on CrossCountry was very difficult even prior to Covid. Anywhere north of Birmingham from the SW I could normally find considerably cheaper by going Plymouth to London then Lond to the North, mostly because those trains have double the seating capacity than XC have, hence more cheaper seats to sell. Plus you'd avoid a long trek on an uncomfortable Voyager.

Status
Not open for further replies.