Split Tickets - Advance Singles Return

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by MJ1078, 15 Jan 2020.

1. MJ1078

MJ1078 New Member

Hi,
    Hoping for somebody more knowledgable than me to give me some confirmation on this.

I bought a return ticket from Runcorn - Exeter St David’s. I did this using split tickets in one transaction on the “TrainPal” app.

I did all of this travel on the same day leaving in the morning and returning in the evening.

I was issued 4 tickets for my journey as follows:
    Runcorn - Birmingham New Street Advance single £6.25
    Birmingham New Street - Exeter St David’s advance single £32.40

Exeter st David’s - Birmingham new street advance single £26.15
    Birmingham new street - Runcorn advance single £6.25

I’m currently in dispute with cross country who are only paying out the advance single part of my ticket that was delayed.

The Exeter st David’s - Birmingham train was delayed by an hour which meant I missed the last connection to return to Runcorn and they put me into a taxi (after sending me on an additional train to Crewe).
    They are currently only refunding £32.40 of my £66.05 ticket. (Which actually seems to be the wrong leg of the journey anyway but I digress).

As far as I’m concerned this is a return journey and they should refund the full amount. They’ve validated that it was over a 2 hour delay - but won’t pay the full amount.
    Am I entitled to the full amount ? Or are they correct?

thanks for any help

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. alistairlees

alistairlees Established Member

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately they are correct in this case. For Delay Repay compensation, when you have single (one-way) tickets in each direction, these are not generally treated as forming a return ticket (even though you are making a return journey).

The £32.40 is the total of £26.15 ad £6.25 which would seem correct.

Whether this is fair is another matter, but that's how it is.

4. DavidGrain

DavidGrain Member

They have refunded you the whole of the cost of your tickets for the Exeter to Runcorn journey. What is your problem? Had you bought a return ticket they would have refunded you half the price of your return ticket

5. alistairlees

alistairlees Established Member

Actually they would have refunded 100% of the cost of a return ticket, for a delay of over two hours in either direction. See https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/customer-service/contact-us/delay-repay

6. MJ1078

MJ1078 New Member

Had I bought a return ticket they would have refunded me the whole amount 100% for a delay of over 2 hours - not 50%. Hence my asking the question....but thanks.

7. MJ1078

MJ1078 New Member

thanks a lot appreciate your help. :)