• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spliting help for Northampton to Cardiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigVince76

Hi, I need to get from Northampton to Cardiff on the 12th of Feb departing after 3pm. It seems that an advance ticket would be £33 and an off peak single is £53.30. Can anyone suggest ways of getting this down a bit, maybe by splitting? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJ737

G'day

Northampton-Euston ADV £7.00
Paddington-Swindon ADV £12.50
Swindon-Cardiff ADV £5.00
+tube

DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

BigVince76

Thanks for that DJ737, it had not occurred to me to go via London. The trouble is on the day I am trying to get from a rugby union match that kicks off at 12pm in Northampton to a rugby league game that kicks off at 7pm in Cardiff. Sadly I can not see any way of doing that in time going via London.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Is it just a single journey you're after?

For flexible singles, splitting at Gloucester brings it down to £46.30.
Splitting again at Newport it's £46.00

If you're confident you can make a particular train, Advance fares are available Birmingham - Cardiff currently at £19.50 or £20.50, making it around £32 total. These Advances are the same price from Nuneaton which would save another £2 on the fare from Northampton (but take longer). Can't seem to get these cheaper by splitting (not many changeover points).

(Splitting at Hereford it's £37.50 (West Mids Day Ranger then Anytime Single), but that's no good as it would take too long for your trip)

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
Changing at New St is currently cheapest.

An off-peak single from Northampton (NMP) to Birmingham New St (BHM) is £12.30. The 15:17 from NMP arrives in BHM at 16:16. If you can escape early there is a 14:56 from NMP.

If you get the 16:30 from BHM to CDF (arriving at 18:21) then it will cost £19.50

Thus the total is £31.80

If I recall correctly Northampton trains arrive at New St on Platform 5 and Cardiff departs from either platform 12 or 11B.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.