• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Splitting at Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilmc

Friend of my wife is travelling from Penrith to Stirling return - just found if I split at Glasgow (where she will have to change and cross between stations anyway) I can save her around £18. I presume this is always a sound option, splitting any journey north of Glasgow/Edinburgh at the big city station.

Every time I spot something like this - and it seems to be an option on virtually every longish journey - I feel a bit pleased tempered by the fact that the average passenger is being cheated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Friend of my wife is travelling from Penrith to Stirling return - just found if I split at Glasgow (where she will have to change and cross between stations anyway) I can save her around £18. I presume this is always a sound option, splitting any journey north of Glasgow/Edinburgh at the big city station.
Yes, how long have you allowed for interchange? As long as it's 30 minutes or longer, it's fine.
Every time I spot something like this - and it seems to be an option on virtually every longish journey - I feel a bit pleased tempered by the fact that the average passenger is being cheated.
Well done for spotting it, though if you ever can't spot a split, it can be worth asking here (after first trying Trainsplit.com, of course!)

Yes some train companies do want to charge people a premium for a longer distance journey but the average passenger doesn't need to be cheated if Trainsplit.com identifies the split, as that's easy for anyone to use.

neilmc

I'd just advise her to buy an off-peak return to Glasgow at Penrith station, then singles to Stirling whenever she arrives at Queen Street. I'm aware that advances might be cheaper still but I don't know quite what her plans are.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
... I presume this is always a sound option, splitting any journey north of Glasgow/Edinburgh at the big city station.....
Looks like Croy can be better.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
... I presume this is always a sound option, splitting any journey north of Glasgow/Edinburgh at the big city station.....
Looks like Croy can be better. It varies. Sometimes Lockerbie/Carlisle is better.

And I wouldn't say this is true for any journey either.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does Glasgow suffer the same issues as London in that potentially it isn't one journey for e.g. Delay Repay or assistance purposes as there is a gap?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does Glasgow suffer the same issues as London in that potentially it isn't one journey for e.g. Delay Repay or assistance purposes as there is a gap?
No sensible person could seriously suggest there is a gap when tickets combine at "London Terminals" or "Glasgow Central/Queen Street".

kieron

Established Member
This saves money, but means that she wouldn't be able to catch trains via Edinburgh, and would have to obey the time restrictions on each leg (where none of the Penrith-Stirling tickets have any).

Granted, it would be nice to be given the options instead of being left to find out for yourself.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There are a number of additional fares if you rebook at Carlisle, as well as Glasgow.
There is an Off Peak Return CAR-GLC at £25 (after 0900).
There is a £17 return anywhere in Scotland with Club 50 (if you qualify, and pay the £15 annual subscription), valid Carlisle-Stirling on TPE/Scotrail, valid most of the winter period.
Plus a variety of cheap returns Glasgow-Stirling, depending on what train you take.

najaB

Veteran Member
No sensible person could seriously suggest there is a gap when tickets combine at "London Terminals" or "Glasgow Central/Queen Street".
Two Advance tickets with less than the cross-Glasgow time (30 mins?) between them?

BlueFox

There is a £17 return anywhere in Scotland with Club 50 (if you qualify, and pay the £15 annual subscription), valid Carlisle-Stirling on TPE/Scotrail, valid most of the winter period.

Can you travel from Carlisle with Club 50 now then?
You couldn't when the scheme started, and their website still says it's only for stations in Scotland.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Can you travel from Carlisle with Club 50 now then?
You couldn't when the scheme started, and their website still says it's only for stations in Scotland.

Well it's on brfares CAR-STG, as a temporary fare, valid 4 Jan-16 Mar.
However, as you say the Scotrail small print does say only valid on TPE from Lockerbie.

Established Member
I don't know about Stirling, but I make bookings day in day out between Perth or Kingussie and stations in the north of England.

Scotrail make available a very limited number of cheap through advances if you're early enough, but nine times out of ten it's far cheaper to split at Glasgow or Edinburgh. It pays to play around with both routes and, yes, don't be overambitious with connection times.

najaB

Veteran Member
That's an invalid connection.
I know. I was just pointing out that there are circumstances where a reasonable cross-Glasgow split (I can easily get between Queen Street and Central in 15 minutes) is still two journeys.

route:oxford

Established Member
I'd just advise her to buy an off-peak return to Glasgow at Penrith station, then singles to Stirling whenever she arrives at Queen Street. I'm aware that advances might be cheaper still but I don't know quite what her plans are.

I'd suggest to Edinburgh instead of Glasgow.

Saves the cross-city transfer, and if you are travelling off peak you can save 25% by buying a Shawfair to Stirling return which is valid for 30 days instead of the two singles from Glasgow to Stirling.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I can easily get between Queen Street and Central in 15 minutes

I think most people can. Add ten minutes allowance for inbound train potentially being late and five minutes allowance to find and reach the platform of the outbound train.

najaB

Veteran Member
I think most people can. Add ten minutes allowance for inbound train potentially being late and five minutes allowance to find and reach the platform of the outbound train.
That was platform to platform. Done it a few times due to late running arrival into Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.