• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Splitting Coach Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlj83

On any of the uk coach operators are you allowed to buy two tickets for the journey.

For example rather buying one ticket from London to Glasgow, you buy one from London to Birmingham and one from Birmingham to Glasgow however you are staying on the same coach to make the whole journey.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I'm not sure if there is a case where two tickets are cheaper than just one ticket for the whole journey - would be interesting to find out if there was.

dlj83

I'm not sure if there is a case where two tickets are cheaper than just one ticket for the whole journey - would be interesting to find out if there was.

I'm not sure of any examples, just wondered particularly if it was allowed i know people have enough problems doing this on the railway so wondered about other methods of travel.

radamfi

Established Member
I do it all the time when I go from Rochdale to London by National Express. Cheap Funfares are not available from Rochdale but they are available from Manchester. So I get a regular single from Rochdale to Manchester for 80p and a Funfare from Manchester to London. I show the driver both tickets when I get on in Rochdale and never had a problem.

WestCoast

Established Member
I have used split tickets on megabus before and didn't have a problem, although this was about 5-6 years ago now.

radamfi

Established Member
It is interesting to note that National Express are more laid back about starting late/ending short than National Rail is with Advance fares. National Express allow you to get off early as long as it isn't at an airport. The allow you to board at an intermediate point (except an airport) but they reserve the right to give your seat to someone else if you aren't at your booked departure point.

MCR247

Established Member
Are the airport exceptions because those tickets are more expensive?

radamfi

Established Member
Are the airport exceptions because those tickets are more expensive?

Fares to Heathrow and Gatwick can be considerably higher than fares to London so that would be a likely explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.