• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Splitting Season Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signum

Hey all....

I've recently started a weekday commute from Birmingham to Reading.
On searching for a split season ticket (Birmingham to Banbury, Banbury to Reading), there's a huge saving. So was wandering firstly whether this is allied and secondly if I will be OK to exit the barriers at the end of each journey as the start station will never be Banbury.

Look forward to your thoughts....

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
That's fine, trains you travel on must always stop at Banbury.

sheff1

Established Member
Assume you mean "allowed" rather than "allied". If so, it is definitely allowed as all trains from Birmingham to Reading and vice versa stop at Banbury.

There should be no problem at all at the barriers in either Birmingham or Reading as long as you make sure you use the correct ticket - e.g. don't try and exit at Reading with the Birmingham - Banbury ticket !

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes that's perfectly legitimate, as the tickets together cover your entire journey. Yes the Birmingham to Banbury ticket will work the barriers at Birmingham and yes the Banbury to Reading ticket will open the barriers at Reading.

In theory any intermediate barriers should also be opened by presenting the relevant ticket (e.g. if you wanted to make a journey to Oxford, the Banbury to Reading ticket should work).

Romilly

Established Member
This is allowed if you use trains that are scheduled to stop at Banbury. I know that most do stop at Banbury, but without checking can't remember whether absolutely every single one does.

And you would be using a Reading-Banbury ticket in the Reading gates, and a Banbury-Birmingham ticket in the Birmingham gates, so it's not obvious why you would have a particular problem at the gatelines.

button_boxer

Established Member
Hey all....

I've recently started a weekday commute from Birmingham to Reading.
On searching for a split season ticket (Birmingham to Banbury, Banbury to Reading), there's a huge saving. So was wandering firstly whether this is allied

If you mean "allowed", then yes it is.

and secondly if I will be OK to exit the barriers at the end of each journey as the start station will never be Banbury.

That's also fine, you have a valid ticket at every point on your overall journey.

It used to be the case that when you use a combination of two season tickets you must use trains that stop at the station where you switch from one ticket to the other, but that is no longer required (though I assume that most if not all trains on that route will stop at Banbury anyway).

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
On searching for a split season ticket (Birmingham to Banbury, Banbury to Reading), there's a huge saving.
Where are you getting your prices from?

Birmingham Stations to Banbury weekly season is £77.60:
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=0418&dest=BAN&tkt=7DS
Banbury to Reading Stations weekly season is £104.20
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=BAN&dest=0403&rte=700&tkt=7DS

Total price £181.80
But a Birmingham to Reading weekly season is only £149.70:
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=0418&dest=0403&rte=825&tkt=7DS

Season ticket prices are highly regulated and it's much harder to find split ticketing savings with them than it is with single and return fares.

Last edited:

FenMan

Established Member
The daily commute would cost £44.80 if splitting at Banbury, so a season ticket is worthwhile if commuting more than 3 days a week.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Under the National Rail Conditions of Carriage it had to call, but we are now using the National Rail Conditions of Travel, and they say different.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I agree with those who state the train doesn't need to call at the split point with the current rules.

On this route all trains on the route are booked to call at Banbury so you don't need to worry about this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.