• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Splitting tickets with closed ticket office question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperen

I often travel from Newport (South Wales) to Birmingham New Street using Cheap Day Returns with Y-P Discount. I usually split the tickets at Cheltenham Spa as this saves quite a bit of money.

Newport ----> Cheltenham Spa
Cheltenham Spa ----> Birmingham New Street

I usually get the same direct train that I would if I had a ticket NWP to BHM.

I don't think the ticket machines will be able to sell me the CNM to BHM ticket so my question is if the ticket office is closed do I have to buy the expensive NWP to BHM ticket from a machine or just the NWP to CNM section and will the guard sell me the CNM to BHM section on the train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
The guard is certainly able to do this, but whether he's willing to or allowed to is questionable. A guard will tell you if it's allowed or not. Even if it is allowed, though, he might not be willing to issue the tickets as Cheltenham Spa has a ticket office. (If you didn't have the Y-P discount, it may be slightly easier as I don't think he can stop you buying the second portion after Cheltenham Spa).

What you are doing is deemed "fare avoidance", and is basically paying the cheapest available fare for your journey, despite teh "regular" tickets costing more. It's one of the good things about the currnet ticketing scheme, but many railway staff frown upon it and may be unwilling to let you do it. My suggestions:

1) Just buy the full ticket, but ask the guard if you can split the fare. If he/she lets you, all the better. If not, it's better than being hit with a more expensive portion from Cheltenham Spa which would not qualify for a Y-P discount. If you remain on the train past Cheltanham Spa and purchase another ticket, you're likely to be told that the Y-P disount is invalid because you shuld have purchased at Cheltenham Spa.
2) Buy in advance if possible. This way, you get the tickets and the best fare available.

If you were to travel without your railcard, there's nothing to stop you buying one portion before Cheltenham and the other after Cheltenham because they can't throw a penalty fare at you IIRC.

PS. Your TVM (unless it's different in Wales) cannot issue post-dated tickets.

Established Member
If in doubt get off at Cheltenham and physically rebook at the ticket office/machine there and get the following train to Brum? Unless its early/late shouldn't have too much of a wait.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Most train staff would be willing to issue such a ticket in my experience if you ask before boarding. If not, then just get on and change at Cheltenham, as 87015 advises.

paul1609

Established Member
Have you tried asking to buy the 2 tickets at Newport?
I quite often buy a ticket from Littlehampton to London and then a London to say York ticket all from the ticket office at Littlehampton and they are always happy to serve me.
I get the impression they'd rather I spent the money at their station than rebooking in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.