• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sport on the BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
This is a followup to the thread "Too much sport on the BBC", which I think has been deleted.

Anyway, the BBC have today released their annual report, and in reading about it, I spotted something interesting ....

_61598283_tv_hours464x270.gif

That's right, in the last year, there has been 389 hours less sport shown on the BBC in the last year.

Do people think there is still too much sport shown on the BBC now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18854839

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
This is a followup to the thread "Too much sport on the BBC", which I think has been deleted.

Anyway, the BBC have today released their annual report, and in reading about it, I spotted something interesting ....

That's right, in the last year, there has been 389 hours less sport shown on the BBC in the last year.

Do people think there is still too much sport shown on the BBC now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18854839

Not enough all the major events be it Football,Rugby,Athletics,Golf,Tennis and others SHOULD be on the BBC free to air.

If you put the BBC head to head with any other Broadcaster they always win hands down when it comes to sports coverage.

BBC....you make it what it is (old BBC propoganda :p)

gnolife

Established Member
What sort of program is Entertainment? surely anything that isn't the news is watched for entertainment.

SS4

Established Member
The figure is much worse for radio: -602 hours.
iirc it was the 2011/2012 season when 5Live lost the Saturday afternoon game to Talksport and also one of the Sunday games.

Mind you I'd take those figures with a pinch of salt. I feel it's important to recall that the 2010 World Cup would have pushed up the figures for 2010/2011 and these figures are relative.

Not enough all the major events be it Football,Rugby,Athletics,Golf,Tennis and others SHOULD be on the BBC free to air.

If you put the BBC head to head with any other Broadcaster they always win hands down when it comes to sports coverage.

BBC....you make it what it is (old BBC propoganda :p)

They also win hands down with factual programming (which I'm glad to see more of). I also want to see more sport on the BBC, preferably a channel in HD dedicated to sport.

SS4

Established Member
So how much of Auntie's usual output will be put on hold while we're all forced to enjoy the Games, at lord Coe's orders?

Worry ye not, there will be more than enough spare time to ensure Eastenders gets its 10pm BBC3 repeat :lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
So how much of Auntie's usual output will be put on hold while we're all forced to enjoy the Games, at lord Coe's orders?

As Lord Coe would tell you there are today many other channels available if you are not keen on sport, also no doubt the BBC is earning a lot of money by providing coverage for foreign broadcasters.

Interesting to see even sky are advertising the BBC sports in HD as they must be taking the feed.

Ivo

Established Member
I find the format of the word quoted below in bold type to be of huge amusement (I inserted the bold type):

The BBC has reduced its star pay by £9.5m, spending just over £203m in the last financial year on salaries for its presenters and "talent".

In other words, it has to be referred to in inverted commas because said talent isn't actually talent :p

I feel it's important to recall that the 2010 World Cup would have pushed up the figures for 2010/2011 and these figures are relative.

That's true, but think about how much of said event they would have broadcast:

2x 45 minutes (+~5 for stoppages)
Limited number of extra time slots
Build-up and analysis

Average time per match, probably ~180 minutes. ~35 matches = ~6,300 minutes = ~ 105 hours.

That's little more than one quarter of the value in question (and in truth is probably greater than it actually was). What about the remaining 11 days' worth of sporting content? Where has this all gone?

Schnellzug

Established Member
As Lord Coe would tell you there are today many other channels available if you are not keen on sport, also no doubt the BBC is earning a lot of money by providing coverage for foreign broadcasters.

Interesting to see even sky are advertising the BBC sports in HD as they must be taking the feed.

But how much will Auntie be expected to spend on the huge numbers of minority interests that the "Games" are padded with, when they don't have enough money not to be outbid for sports that significant numbers of people are interested in, like F1? Please don't try to tell me that Softball or Small Bore Rifle Shooting will attract a huge global audience, because I really won't believe anybody who does.

The Informer

Oh no they don't!!!!
The F1 presenters are like Mr Gay UK and their Motogp commentary team is not even in the same league as Eurosports. So much so that we often wait to watch the delayed race an hour later!

SS4

Established Member
Does anybody still watch the B.B.C. ?

I suspect a lot of people do which is remarkable considering how much Sky moved the goalposts to pinch most of the sport. Is it really right to charge for the basic package, charge for sport on top, charge for HD on top of that [may not be the case] and then show a ludicrous amount of adverts?

I personally listen to the BBC more than I watch, especially when the football season roll round again. With the exception of Alan Greene 5Live is far more competent than any commercial station for football and the odd rugby game.

CC 72100

Established Member
I personally listen to the BBC more than I watch, especially when the football season roll round again. With the exception of Alan Greene 5Live is far more competent than any commercial station for football and the odd rugby game.

As much as he annoys me too, for football, 5live is miles ahead of Talksport.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Oh no they don't!!!!
The F1 presenters are like Mr Gay UK and their Motogp commentary team is not even in the same league as Eurosports. So much so that we often wait to watch the delayed race an hour later!

What? The BBC F1 coverage is (was) great. The only reason I started watching it on Sky is because they have Ted and Martin, and of course to be able to watch all the races live.

I suspect a lot of people do which is remarkable considering how much Sky moved the goalposts to pinch most of the sport. Is it really right to charge for the basic package, charge for sport on top, charge for HD on top of that [may not be the case] and then show a ludicrous amount of adverts?

Sky don't show ads during the sport...at least not when the action is actually happening. I can only speak for the F1 coverage (since that's all I watch), but I am surprised at how few ads there are during the build-up coverage (one ad break in an hour and a half) and post-race analysis.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Anyway, the BBC have today released their annual report, and in reading about it, I spotted something interesting ....

I have also spotted something interesting.

Increases in hours: +634 hours
Decreases in hours: -728 hours

Did the BBC really show 94 hours less TV in the last year?

.... The only reason I started watching it on Sky is because they have Ted and Martin....

Imo, they can keep them, although my tolerance of Ben 'I want to be Murray' Edwards and David 'I love Red Bull' Coulthard is beginning to wear thin.

Lampshade

Established Member
Imo, they can keep them, although my tolerance of Ben 'I want to be Murray' Edwards and David 'I love Red Bull' Coulthard is beginning to wear thin.

Ben Edwards has been like that for years, it's just his commentary style. Rather him than James Allen, Jonathan Legard and "they're coming up to the canal turn" David Croft.

Zoe

Established Member
Do the BBC include snooker and darts as sport when they compile these figures?
Darts coverage has recently been signifcantly scaled back. The World Masters is no longer shown and only the first two days, one semi-final and final of the World Championship are now covered by the BBC. Snooker coverage has also been reduced from four tournaments each season to three.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
How many forum members are now beginning to be sick to death of the constant BBC trailers (pseudo advertisments) for the Olympic Games being now broadcast ad nauseum.

Yes. But then I was sick of them ebfore they really starte dine arnest, the BBC have been pushing the Olympics for at least nine months now.

Darts coverage has recently been signifcantly scaled back. The World Masters is no longer shown and only the first two days, one semi-final and final of the World Championship are now covered by the BBC. Snooker coverage has also been reduced from four tournaments each season to three.

I wouldn;t say the BBC have scaled darts coverage back, they have lost tournaments to other broadcasters, presumably because they ar ewilling to pay more. I don;t know for sure, as I don't like snooker, but I should think it's the same there, and as contracts come up for renewal in both sports, more of this will happen.

Soon there will only be International Paintballing and Cheese Rolling in the BBC TV Sports Department.

starrymarkb

Established Member
ITV4 do a good job with the Tour De France. Mainly as the team is left to get on with it...

The commentary however is getting worse. Phil and Paul just seem to be reusing stock phrases (*coughNervousPelotoncough*) but that is pretty much outside of ITVs control as they take the world commentary (there isn't the budget for their own team)

Zoe

Established Member
I wouldn;t say the BBC have scaled darts coverage back, they have lost tournaments to other broadcasters, presumably because they ar ewilling to pay more. I don;t know for sure, as I don't like snooker, but I should think it's the same there, and as contracts come up for renewal in both sports, more of this will happen.
It would seem to be scaling back though, rather than go for the exclusive rights they decided to do a deal with ESPN where BBC would cover some matches exclusively and ESPN would cover others. With snooker it was the BBC's decision to end coverage of the Grand Prix.

How many forum members are now beginning to be sick to death of the constant BBC trailers (pseudo advertisments) for the Olympic Games being now broadcast ad nauseum.

One here in Leeds. There may be others;)?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes. But then I was sick of them ebfore they really starte dine arnest, the BBC have been pushing the Olympics for at least nine months now.

Soon there will only be International Paintballing and Cheese Rolling in the BBC TV Sports Department.

Motty (John Motson) commentating on Cheese Rolling. Now there's a thought:lol:

Johnuk123

Established Member

I'm sick to death of having to pay a compulsory tax when I rarely watch it.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I'm sick to death of having to pay a compulsory tax when I rarely watch it.
Ah yes - the "compulsory tax" thing. Why should I pay for schools/army/health/roads etc etc when I don't use them? Because I am a British national, and compulsory taxation to pay for state provided services is a part of that.
I have only seen the "trailers" twice - don't watch much telly, actually - and have only one gripe, that they don't show archery. A good, strong powerful image can be created, as seen in the recent Coke ad for the flame.

Schnellzug

Established Member

The BBC are completely independent of political pressure, of course, and would never hype the "Games" just because LOCOG instruct them to ..... :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah yes - the "compulsory tax" thing. Why should I pay for schools/army/health/roads etc etc when I don't use them? Because I am a British national, and compulsory taxation to pay for state provided services is a part of that. .

That would be a fair argument if they were, like the Monarchy, completely independent and above political pressure, not afraid to rock the boat and voice their mind, and acted once again as the Voice (and the Conscience) of the Nation. But, like the Church of England, they're so afraid of losing their status (the motto at the Beeb is surely "we don't want to offend anyone, they might take away the Licence fee"), that they're just so weedy and feeble in their desperation to be "even handed" and not "biased", and the Conservative press never believe that they are anyway, do they?

Status
Not open for further replies.